Rear Overhead Locker jumping thread

Bryan2411

Bryan2411

2014 SE
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all,
I'm seeking guidance from someone familiar with the rear hinges of the overhead locker. Firstly, I've looked through the forum and am grateful for the heads up on dismantling the locker from the interior, so thanks already for that.
My issue is when releasing the catch to open the locker the unit 'skips' or 'jumps' along whatever cog like thread its being guided by. Its also reluctant to close. The locker does open/close eventually with some gentle force, but something is clearly not right. Its mainly from the wardrobe side hinge.
My fear is dismantling it and bits falling out without a clue how to put them back together!
Can anyone provide details about what the hinge should look like and work?? Likely components at fault? Or is it easier to buy replacement hinges and just fit new?
Many thanks
Bryan

Some info here Bryan.

Some info here Bryan.
Thanks, didn’t see this one!!

UPDATE:
Bit the bullet and investigated the jumping locker issue. Transpired a guide wheel (not cog) had worked loose and was rattling around the mechanism causing some damage to the wardrobe surface, thankfully invisible when locker in place.
Using info from attached posts and a number of pillows and bedding raised to support the locker I managed to undo the 2 bolts in the wardrobe unit (one in each cupboard) then the 4 overhead nuts in the upper bed.
Using the bedding as support there was no need for me to remove the speakers and there was enough access to see the workings of the mechanism.
Apologies but in my excitement I didn’t take a picture, but crucially for this particular issue there were only 3 relevant parts
1 the main locker hinge plastic Part which has cog teeth etc and joins the locker the the wardrobe or offside light moulding (cog visible when locker open)
2 there is a small cog wheel which sits on top of these these for alignment
3 a 2cm metal wheel (approx 10p piece size) which is secured with a small Allen key screw and this effectively locks it all together to make sure the locker flows Properly when opening.
My wheel, part 3 had come undone and was loose Inside the mechanism.
This was reattached, silicone lubricant applied and the locker refitted in the reverse order. All fixed, happy days.

Hi @Bryan2411 . My locker is really tight. So hard to open that we barely use it! It does not, by any means, come even close to sliding open when we pull the lever. We have to pull hard from the whole thing and literally push down for it to open.

My question: while you were in there, fiddling with the mechanism, did you see anything that you'd recommend I try to losen this thing up? Would it be that item 3 on your list "2cm metal wheel and Allen key screw"?

Any advice is appreciated. I really want to make better use of that space!

Hi @Bryan2411 . My locker is really tight. So hard to open that we barely use it! It does not, by any means, come even close to sliding open when we pull the lever. We have to pull hard from the whole thing and literally push down for it to open.

My question: while you were in there, fiddling with the mechanism, did you see anything that you'd recommend I try to losen this thing up? Would it be that item 3 on your list "2cm metal wheel and Allen key screw"?

Any advice is appreciated. I really want to make better use of that space!
It definitely seems like the hinge mechanism. I can’t think of 1 particular thing it would be and sadly I didn’t take a picture to refresh my memory.
My advice would be to remove the locker from the upper roof and wardrobe mounts, loosen and retighten (not remove) all hinge bolts then use a silicone/PTFE WD40 spray on the mechanisms before refitting.

It definitely seems like the hinge mechanism. I can’t think of 1 particular thing it would be and sadly I didn’t take a picture to refresh my memory.
My advice would be to remove the locker from the upper roof and wardrobe mounts, loosen and retighten (not remove) all hinge bolts then use a silicone/PTFE WD40 spray on the mechanisms before refitting.
Thanks @Bryan2411 ! I'll make sure to take my full toolbox with me next time we go out and play around with it a bit.

Thanks @Bryan2411 ! I'll make sure to take my full toolbox with me next time we go out and play around with it a bit.
Just re read the message, when I mention loosening the bolts I mean all the fittings for the soft close mechanisms on the sides. Good luck, the overhead locker is really handy.

Hi Max, did you get anywhere with this? We have the same on our new T6.1, we weren't really sure how tight it's supposed to be so didn't really realise we had a problem, but it's recently got worse.

Of course we could take it in under warranty, but our experience of warranty work has not been the most pleasant!

Back