Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rather be stuck in Spain or France?

rcsb

rcsb

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We are in Spain trying to escape the lockdown and return to our home in Sussex. We are not in any hurry. We are now east of Madrid, 5 or 6 hours from Bilbao or the French border.

I think our choices are
  1. hunker down in our friend’s house in Asturias until it blows over. Could be a long wait if there is a UK lockdown following Spain’s.
  2. Go back to the med and find somewhere nice.
  3. Try to get a crossing from Bilbao while they are still running. The sailings are seem full bit maybe people will cancel?
  4. Drive to France and try a short crossing or the tunnel. Both have availability but by the time we get there, Tuesday or Wednesday, who knows.
If I’m going to be stuck I’d rather be in Spain than Northern France (no offence).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rick

We are in Spain trying to escape the lockdown and return to our home in Sussex. We are not in any hurry. We are now east of Madrid, 5 or 6 hours from Bilbao or the French border.

I think our choices are
  1. hunker down in our friend’s house in Asturias until it blows over. Could be a long wait if there is a UK lockdown following Spain’s.
  2. Go back to the med and find somewhere nice.
  3. Try to get a crossing from Bilbao while they are still running. The sailings are seem full bit maybe people will cancel?
  4. Drive to France and try a short crossing or the tunnel. Both have availability but by the time we get there, Tuesday or Wednesday, who knows.
If I’m going to be stuck I’d rather be in Spain than Northern France (no offence).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rick
I heard something on the news about Brittany Ferries reducing their timetables.

Not knowing what might happen in France I would favour the ferry from Santander or Bilbao direct to UK.

Option 2 or 4, good luck and travel safe.

Sounds like 2 is not an option as campsites are being forced to close in Spain.

Personally I would go for option 4. As I have said in another thread my daughter has come back from Barcelona in less than 24 hours and that includes 230 miles from the tunnel up here to the Peak District so in theory you could be back home Monday if you leave now. The longer you wait the less the options will be.

Thanks all for your advice. We decided to make for the tunnel. Brittany Ferries seem to be cancelling a lot of services and they are not that regular. Also the shorter crossings seem unpredictable. The tunnel has the advantage of being quick, frequent and easy for social distancing.

We are now in an Aire just north of Bordeaux 7 hours from Calais. Home tomorrow for self isolation. What fun!

BTW Spanish roads are even quieter than usual. French seem busy as usual.

Thanks again.

Just arrived at Eurotunnel facing a bit of a wait. But I’m in a Cali, the kettle is on and life is good.

In case anyone else is fleeing the frying pan and heading for the fire: note that the Spanish aires are fuel only - some have closed the toilets. Most of French ones are open, but not all have cafes; and those French tolls are so expensive.

Very best wishes to you all.

Rick

We are stuck near Cartagena, not allowed off our pitch except for food, pharmacy or Drs. Our ferry for Saturday has been cancelled as we are not a priority and we are rebooked 9th April.
Really hope we can buy my husbands heart pills locally, it's scary here!

We are stuck near Cartagena, not allowed off our pitch except for food, pharmacy or Drs. Our ferry for Saturday has been cancelled as we are not a priority and we are rebooked 9th April.
Best of luck and stay safe.

So sorry to hear this. Keep safe and try to enjoy the weather. It’s freezing here in Calais.

The pharmacy in Spain are usually very helpful. A friend went to one yesterday and explained her situation of delay to leaving and was assured that they could get her medication . She had to wait outside a little while as only 3 people at a time let inside. You may wish to visit pharmacy to get reassurance.

The pharmacy in Spain are usually very helpful. A friend went to one yesterday and explained her situation of delay to leaving and was assured that they could get her medication . She had to wait outside a little while as only 3 people at a time let inside. You may wish to visit pharmacy to get reassurance.
Thanks for that. I went this morning, they don't have the particular drugs we need but will get them for me. Looks like our 9th April ferry will not be going either.☹

Got out of Spain on Sunday, driven up France now at Caen waiting to board ferry just in time. looks like France might be on lock down tomorrow

Thanks for that. I went this morning, they don't have the particular drugs we need but will get them for me. Looks like our 9th April ferry will not be going either.☹
Glad the pharmacy was helpful. However it does look like you will be there longer . I just looked at Brittany Ferry web site.

Often on this site people write about their trips, you will certainly learn how it live in the van for a long time. Good luck.

PORTSMOUTH TO BILBAO / BILBAO TO PORTSMOUTH
All services are cancelled between 20/03/20 and 12/04/20 inclusive.

PORTSMOUTH TO SANTANDER / SANTANDER TO PORTSMOUTH
All services are cancelled between 22/03/20 and 12/04/20 inclusive.

PLYMOUTH TO SANTANDER / SANTANDER TO PLYMOUTH
All services are cancelled until 12/04/20.

Glad the pharmacy was helpful. However it does look like you will be there longer . I just looked at Brittany Ferry web site.

Often on this site people write about their trips, you will certainly learn how it live in the van for a long time. Good luck.

PORTSMOUTH TO BILBAO / BILBAO TO PORTSMOUTH
All services are cancelled between 20/03/20 and 12/04/20 inclusive.

PORTSMOUTH TO SANTANDER / SANTANDER TO PORTSMOUTH
All services are cancelled between 22/03/20 and 12/04/20 inclusive.

PLYMOUTH TO SANTANDER / SANTANDER TO PLYMOUTH
All services are cancelled until 12/04/20.

Just arrived at Eurotunnel facing a bit of a wait. But I’m in a Cali, the kettle is on and life is good.

In case anyone else is fleeing the frying pan and heading for the fire: note that the Spanish aires are fuel only - some have closed the toilets. Most of French ones are open, but not all have cafes; and those French tolls are so expensive.

Very best wishes to you all.

Rick
Did you my any chance use the tunel de somport between Spain and France? We are trying to find out if it may be open see my posting.

Our ferry from Spain to UK has now been cancelled so our plan is to drive to Pau via the Túnel de Somport. This is based on the possible availability of hotels in France and shortness of route. Does anyone know how to find out out possible closures of the tunnel? It was open Friday but looks closed today. Google says open and Michelin maps says closed. We would like to be sure if it is open on the day we plan to use it before we book the Eurotunnel and French hotels. Bielsa tunnel is closed due to border closer at that point.

Any suggestions on how to find out if the tunnel de somport may be open on particular days world be very helpful. Thanks for information about toilets.