Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quick question on the sliding door... (this is going to sound weird)

M

Maelstrom

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've just picked up my 2018 Beach from the dealer after some warranty work. I took it in 10 days ago as the sliding door wouldn't always unlock when I parked and they've replaced a door module.

I'm beginning to doubt myself now, but I thought when opening the manual sliding door from the inside you pull the catch in the direction that the door will move, ie. to the back of the van. And when closing it, you have to pull the handle to the left, to the front of the van, to get it to close.

To close it now, I have to pull it towards the back of the van. This isnt normal is it?

To close it now, I have to pull it towards the back of the van. This isnt normal is it?

Yes thats normal if the door is latched in the open position.

Really? Somehow I'd forgotten every other time I've opened it. Pushing it back seems counter-intuitive, but maybe I was swayed with the dealer losing part of the door and me wondering how else they could screw it up.

you can release the slider when it is latched open by pushing or pulling the handle to release the latch. At least you can in my T5.1
If there is slight load on the latch because the nose is down then it may be hard to release by pushing as the latch has weight on it. It may seem like you have to pull it to get it to release, but pulling will 'unload' it, pushing might make it tighter.

Last edited:
Thanks. I see now. When open you can push or pull the catch, but mine, now that it's been 'fixed', only opens by pulling if you're facing uphill.

Just pushing the handle hasn't worked on any of our vans, its always been pull back first.

The manual also states "Pull the door handle or door release lever and push the sliding door closed......"

How exciting. A unique van! (Probably not)
Just been out to check and it definitely releases both ways. I’ll post a video if I get a chance. It was my children who naturally pushed the handle forward to close it. I had always pulled it.

Just pushing the handle hasn't worked on any of our vans, its always been pull back first.

The manual also states "Pull the door handle or door release lever and push the sliding door closed......"
Mine says "pulling the inside or outside door handle and push the sliding door with a little force to close it". I've always pulled it to the front. Standing outside, I used to be able to close it by pulling the inside handle. Now I actually need to squeeze the handle and window pillar. I went to the dealer earlier to pick up the part they'd lost, and tried a couple of 6.1s. Each one would only close by pulling the handle to the front. Pushing it to the back wouldn't do anything, so it's a different module than 6s. The mech said this one might free up over time, but at least I know I wasn't going crazy

FWIW...
We managed to trap ourselves inside the back of our T6.1 Transporter. Sliding door wouldn't open from the inside. Ok, if opened from the outside. So we spent several days reaching out through the front door to open the sliding door.

I searched in vain for a mechanical child lock before I considered that there might be an electric childlock. Turns out there's a switch behind the electric windows in the drivers door. The manual says it lights up yellow when child lock is active. True, it does, but it also goes out after a while with the feature still active, so you can't trust the light. Eventually pressed the switch 3 times in succession to hear a clear 'clunk' from the door on last the depression - all back to normal.

You may all laugh now !

FWIW...
We managed to trap ourselves inside the back of our T6.1 Transporter. Sliding door wouldn't open from the inside. Ok, if opened from the outside. So we spent several days reaching out through the front door to open the sliding door.

I searched in vain for a mechanical child lock before I considered that there might be an electric childlock. Turns out there's a switch behind the electric windows in the drivers door. The manual says it lights up yellow when child lock is active. True, it does, but it also goes out after a while with the feature still active, so you can't trust the light. Eventually pressed the switch 3 times in succession to hear a clear 'clunk' from the door on last the depression - all back to normal.

You may all laugh now !
At least you escaped and worked it out

Back