Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Questions?

Mazvw42

Mazvw42

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
After a month of ownership and our first camping trip, a scratch and a dented VW bike rack (I reversed into a lamp post!!!!) I have some issues and can't see these discussed before, but I apologise if they have been:

Is it normal for the silver paint to wear off in the boot? (On the rear of the head rest assembly) Mine has in parts. It was caused by a cardboard box rubbing against it on a long journey!

Additionally, the 4 black rubber type things that are on the 2 pot frame holders on the cooker... Two have broken already when removing the pot frames for cleaning making the frames wobbly.

I know these are minor things (the scratch and dent are bugging me more) but are the things above just part of the normal wear and tear of ownership??

I have had a broken cooker 'black thing' for over a year, it broke when removing the pot supports. It is critical that the supports are eased up evenly and so very carefully so that the black bits do not brake. I have stopped taking them out, although it is not so easy to clean with them in.

I have read somewhere on this, or other older forums, that they can be replaced, I have not bothered since it is still functioning ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I took a look at my silver backing to the seat on my five year old van and on the whole it's in pretty good condition. However, we have the headrests tipped down most of the time as there are only two of us, so these probably give a natural barrier. This in its turn though seems to have led to a bit of surface corrosion where the headrest support sits on the back, but no recent signs of this getting worse.

I guess it's worth testing with VW but unless you can see an obvious defect my guess would be fair wear and tear. It's not the greatest use of materials but any repair would be equally vulnerable. Like a lot of the Cali, it's clever but the surfaces and mechanisms have more lightness built in than robustness.

Any other views or claims?

The pan support mounts are expensive! Hot mine replaced under warranty, there are cheaper smev alternatives too. When I say expensive they are nearly a fiver each! The smev ones 49p.

An update - black things on cooker replaced under warranty and cooker ignition also needed replacing as it rarely worked.

Paint issue in boot referred to VW by Breeze in Portsmouth, but they think it won't be approved. I accept that they will think it's down to my use.

Also blind in roof stays open (I have read the other threads on this) but Breeze say VW are working on a fix.....

Thanks for the interest!

the blind on my van keeps opening. I've fixed it by attaching a bit of velcro (the soft furry side) to the blind just by the handle. This makes the blind slightly wider, so it now grips properly.

Does that make sense?

i think the blind will always start to open after use, and the small plastic ridge that's supposed to grip it wears down.

Back