Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Question from Beginners: Knowing what you know now, what would be your top five "must-have" accessories for the Cali?

We're getting our VW California Ocean in less than two weeks and are taking everyone's advice, in that, we won't be buying any accessories until we've had a few trips out in it. You know, to see what we actually need.

But I'm curious. Many of you will be lucky enough to have had a Cali or converted Transporter for a while. You've been there. You've learnt the lessons. You've camped in warm and cold weather. You've done weekend breaks and longer road trips. You've been through a lot together.

With all of your collected wisdom, what would you say are the top five accessories for the van? You know, to help the beginners amongst us.

Personally, we've got our eye on some seat covers, carpet and Portapotti all from Brandrup (and the obvious stuff like electric plug-up thingy, gas bottle, etc). But what else? Or can you confirm these are wise first investments? Cheers, Kate
what we use regularly and it really is hoses for courses and these threads always make me think do I need something else
VIP membership
Corner shelf for the nespresso machine
Cadac
Ridge monkey
Levellers (used almost every time)
Breathable groundsheet /old Pilates used as door mat
Side panels
Porta Porti with cushioned seat cover for when not in use (becomes foot stool, extra seat)
Duvalay
Microfibre towels
Flip flops for showers
His and hers poaching pods
Collapsable “KaboodleBags” in different sizes for just about everything
More than ten but acquired over a couple of years and suggestions form fellow Cali owners. Enjoy your adventures x

Windscreen cover
Seat covers
Ridgemonkey
Mattress toppers
Lock for spare wheel

Mine would be what not to get. Don’t buy a new Cali, there are some great low mileage Calis out there. Spend the savings on every addition gadget you’ll ever need.

Mine would be what not to get. Don’t buy a new Cali, there are some great low mileage Calis out there. Spend the savings on every addition gadget you’ll ever need.

We spent a lot of time researching the various options and went for a pre-reg vehicle in the end. Got a great deal, too. They hold their value so much it was a no-brainer for us! :)

We've purchased a couple more things – gosh, this is expensive. Bought the Brandrup Second Skins from the club shop today. They were very helpful. Those are coming tomorrow.

I've also taken Chili's advice on Ikea hacks and ordered a few storage boxes and solutions. Plus I got the Spare Safe thingy-me-bob to protect our spare wheel.

Now I'm trying to not spend any more money as I'm officially skint until 2030!

(Really want to purchase the Rainbow top cover and screen cover - but going to wait until the NEC show this October and see what's what!)

(Really want to purchase the Rainbow top cover and screen cover - but going to wait until the NEC show this October and see what's what!)

You know that Comfortz do a Cali-Wrap for the pop up roof and screen covers too. I don't know how they compare price wise with Rainbow, but you do get your VIP Discount.
Simon

You know that Comfortz do a Cali-Wrap for the pop up roof and screen covers too. I don't know how they compare price wise with Rainbow, but you do get your VIP Discount.
Simon

I watched a video by the lovely Bus and Beyond peeps and they compared the Comfortz Leisure Cali Topper with the Rainbow Pop Top Thermal Cover. We didn't like the Comfortz one as it flaps in the wind and I'd hate that.

Is this Cali-Wrap different then? Thanks so much!

I watched a video by the lovely Bus and Beyond peeps and they compared the Comfortz Leisure Cali Topper with the Rainbow Pop Top Thermal Cover. We didn't like the Comfortz one as it flaps in the wind and I'd hate that.

Is this Cali-Wrap different then? Thanks so much!

The plastic Cali Topper fits over the pop up roof and has been around for a while now. I've never noticed much flapping noise from it, but I did have extra Tie-Down holes made in it so it is fixed a lot more firmly on than it possibly would have been. We've had ours for about 3½ years now. The Cali-Wrap that Comfortz sell looks similar to the Rainbow one. It fits closely around the PopTop canvas and acts as insulation. If the shop is planning an Open Day at Chesterfield this year towards the end of the season, pop over to them and have a look. The staff up there are really helpful and can show you the different types available.
Are you coming to the Dorset Meet at the end of September? I shall have both types in our Cali and I can show you them if that helps.
Better to wait and look first than to buy and rarely use it.
Simon

Last edited:
We've purchased a couple more things – gosh, this is expensive. Bought the Brandrup Second Skins from the club shop today. They were very helpful. Those are coming tomorrow.

I've also taken Chili's advice on Ikea hacks and ordered a few storage boxes and solutions. Plus I got the Spare Safe thingy-me-bob to protect our spare wheel.

Now I'm trying to not spend any more money as I'm officially skint until 2030!

Yes it is expensive setting up, we’ve spent a fortune!
We have the Rainbow front drop down & rear screen covers they are excellent quality, we highly recommend them . We had ours personalised, an additional small cost but we will have them for years.

The plastic Cali Topper fits over the pop up roof and has been around for a while now. I've never noticed much flapping noise from it, but I did have extra Tie-Down holes made in it so it is fixed a lot more firmly on than it possibly would have been. We've had ours for about 3½ years now. The Cali-Wrap that Comfortz sell looks similar to the Rainbow one. It fits closely around the PopTop canvas and acts as insulation. If the shop is planning an Open Day at Chesterfield this year towards the end of the season, pop over to them and have a look. The staff up there can show you the different types available.
Are you coming to the Dorset Meet at the end of September? I shall have both types in our Cali and I can show you them if that helps.
Better to wait and look first than to buy and rarely use it.
Simon

Alas, we can't make the meet in September as I'm away in... California. Ha! The irony. But we'll be sure to look out for these meets in future. Thanks for your advice. Hugely appreciated!

Yes it is expensive setting up, we’ve spent a fortune!
We have the Rainbow front drop down & rear screen covers they are excellent quality, we highly recommend them . We had ours personalised, an additional small cost but we will have them for years.

That's great to know, thanks BeagleMum! I really like the look of Rainbow.

That's great to know, thanks BeagleMum! I really like the look of Rainbow.
as was said earlier try and
have a weekend away first then decide what you might need. 5years in and we cary about a jird of what we had in the First year. It also depends on where we are pitching up.
Ie this weekend campsite within walking distance of village with numerous restaurants = no bbq
Weather forecast hot would mean no external topper. Etc etc

By far and the most essential accessory for us is a small pop up tent. As soon as we arrive all the stuff on the back shelf and the 2 kids’ car seats go in it. Suddenly the van is then big again.
If I ever set off without this we’d have to turn around and go back. Unlike when I forgot my wife’s clothes in 2016, when we just went to the giant mall in Calais.

In this order!

1. Seat covers - wipeable leather look
2. Isotop inner bellow lining
3. Mattress topper
4. Windscreen thermal cover
4. Ground sheet/mat for roll out awning

Enjoy - Personally finding , buying, and sometimes selling again- has been really fun. If costly !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait - that’s only 4 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We find less is more.

Top 5 (not in priority order):

- standard roll out awning
- standard cheapo grey seat covers
- internal roof insulation (our is the now withdrawn Comfortz model)
- external roof topper (used to be Khyam Kamper Cozi now California-Camping.de Mutze which folds in with the seats when not in use)
- 12v Avtext TV, decent aerial and signal amplifier
- (Sixth but couldn't help myself) is a UK 3 pin socket cable for the inverter. Use this loads for low power items (tv, amplifier, laptop, table lamp etc)

Collapsible bucket or bowl.
Whistling kettle
Covers for the glass worktops
Good flashlight
Wellies/Crocs

In addition to the 907 gas bottle and an EHU cable, and in no particular order:

- Waterproof seat covers

- Thetford 335 Porta potti. We have ours set up with the cover and ROK strap for behind driver's seat as per @kurienp's now seminal post!

- Brandrup Utility; driver's side seat-back organiser which swallows so much stuff.

- Ikea Talgje 120cm Topper. We use this in addition to the Vw Comfort mattress on the downstairs bed but it doesn't seem to be available in that size on the website at present.

- A funnel attached by a piece of string to a sucker hook for filling the fresh water tank on my own.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07R2C5JJH/?tag=eliteelect-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O7OXLL0/?tag=eliteelect-21

...I will almost certainly have to swap the Brandrup Isotop internal liner on to that list at some point but haven't actually been able to use it yet!

Back