Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problems with the grand cali

Wild Phil Hic

Wild Phil Hic

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi guys
I am a new member and have been reading about the problems about the GC and the lack of help coming from the dealerships.
i have been having some issues that many other members are having including;
- fridge not working - all lights flashing showing error code. I have spoken to Hereford dealership and they said that my van is on for re-call however (5 hour job!)no parts available so will let me know in about 10 days!
- step has a mind of its own. Still no feedback from dealer as to what we can do. Speaking to other members who have said you just need to deal with it and it always works when you start the van.
- Ambient lights stopped working. This fault seems to happen a lot to other owners and again dealership was considering a complete system overall which I get the impression that they really don’t want to do It. Speaking to a friend who as a 600 he told me to go to the electrical cupboard under the bed and turn the red battery button anti-clockwise and leave it for 10 secs, than turn it back again. Guess what it’s sorted it out, however it does require you the re-set the heating and water after.
Anyone who can help with fridge problems please let me know.

Yup...what you describe is the classic "control panel freeze". This seems to be hard wired into the software. It results in the panel freezing on "camping mode" ,so the step will not retract when the door is closed, and the ambient lighting cannot be switched on. Like any software freeze switching power off and back on using the red isolation switch fixes it.....until next time!
Latest problem for me is the fridge seems to have lost its thermostat...frozen milk (and everything else in the fridge) the other morning. Back on the phone to VW this week...sigh

Yup...what you describe is the classic "control panel freeze". This seems to be hard wired into the software. It results in the panel freezing on "camping mode" ,so the step will not retract when the door is closed, and the ambient lighting cannot be switched on. Like any software freeze switching power off and back on using the red isolation switch fixes it.....until next time!
Latest problem for me is the fridge seems to have lost its thermostat...frozen milk (and everything else in the fridge) the other morning. Back on the phone to VW this week...sigh

Hi Leeb re the fridge, I’ve noticed the freezing problem twice and on each occasion the fridge was really over stocked ie to full so restricted air circulation.

Odd that quite a few owners have had the frozen control panel. I’ve had x2 GC MY 20 and 21 and never an issue, guess I must be lucky.

Just awaiting the inevitable pump/tap problem.

Will

Hi Leeb re the fridge, I’ve noticed the freezing problem twice and on each occasion the fridge was really over stocked ie to full so restricted air circulation.

Odd that quite a few owners have had the frozen control panel. I’ve had x2 GC MY 20 and 21 and never an issue, guess I must be lucky.

Just awaiting the inevitable pump/tap problem.

Will
"VW is a joke". I bought mine in Luxembourg last Noember and I am 100% sure that the vehicle was not checked/controlled at the factory neither at the the dealer's garage prior delivery. I have faced and still facing a lot of issues related to charging, heating, etc. And to be honnest I have not checked yet if everything works as it suppose to. Most of the time it is parked or for repair. 2000km and only 7 overnight stays. Now is in the garage for solar panel replacement. A problem that was present since the first day. The only thing that offers is stress... and loss of time... I find it very usefull to inform everyone about the low quality and lack of reliability of this vehicle.

Hi guys
I am a new member and have been reading about the problems about the GC and the lack of help coming from the dealerships.
i have been having some issues that many other members are having including;
- fridge not working - all lights flashing showing error code. I have spoken to Hereford dealership and they said that my van is on for re-call however (5 hour job!)no parts available so will let me know in about 10 days!
- step has a mind of its own. Still no feedback from dealer as to what we can do. Speaking to other members who have said you just need to deal with it and it always works when you start the van.
- Ambient lights stopped working. This fault seems to happen a lot to other owners and again dealership was considering a complete system overall which I get the impression that they really don’t want to do It. Speaking to a friend who as a 600 he told me to go to the electrical cupboard under the bed and turn the red battery button anti-clockwise and leave it for 10 secs, than turn it back again. Guess what it’s sorted it out, however it does require you the re-set the heating and water after.
Anyone who can help with fridge problems please let me know.
Thanks, this worked for our ambient light issue

All standard problems I'm afraid. VW Germany know about these issues but individual dealerships in UK seem to be I'll informed or in denial. It was only through this forum that I cancelled my dealerships planned replacement of the control panel..which would have been a waste of time.
The hack to reset is switch power on and off to van using the large red rotary switch in the electric cupboard...or use this hack from a German web site

Our fridge has been replaced..not an uncommon problem

The kitchen tap has been replaced...

The Adblue reset had a mind of its own needing a complete brimming of And blue tank to get any reset.

These vans are very expensive and, to be fair, when functioning are great fun. We're in our second summer of fun with it. However....VW van dealerships really havnt a clue what they are selling or looking after. I am firmly of the view that there should be one or two dealerships who are given this role so that they do know the camper inside out. ....and VW fix and recall these known problems.

Back