Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Privacy glass over VW glass

L

Leemac74

Vehicle
T5 Beach
just wondered if anyone went over the standard VW privacy glass with aftermarket tinting, booked mine in for 20% tint next week and the fella at the workshop hinted it might look more like 15% when applied over existing tinted glass from VW.

Last edited:
We had ours done on delivery. Can't remember now which glass we had factory fitted but think it was laminated. Anyway, when we saw that the fitted glass would look like a goldfish bowl we had the aftermarket tinting done.

We are very pleased with it. You can see out fine and from the outside you can't see in very much at all. We have a black van so the overall effect is great. Not sure how this would look on one of the other colours though.

Mines grey so hopefully will look great.

The 20% tint is the next one I've been offered (20% light in) above the 5% limo tint which is basically straight black, don't think I need it totally black but wanted to know people's responses for privacy when in van etc.

Last edited:
We had ours done on delivery. Can't remember now which glass we had factory fitted but think it was laminated. Anyway, when we saw that the fitted glass would look like a goldfish bowl we had the aftermarket tinting done.

We are very pleased with it. You can see out fine and from the outside you can't see in very much at all. We have a black van so the overall effect is great. Not sure how this would look on one of the other colours though.
How is the tint over the dot matrix at the edge of the Windows? I'm considering getting mine tinted as it's got normal untinted glass

My new back window appears to not be as tinted as the previous one. Have VW changed their tint since 2013.? Can you get it more tinted, if so how much would it cost do you reckon?

My earlier post from June:
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/window-tints.10447/#post-97962

"I never fancied tinted glass on "normal" cars, but thought it necessary for a California as there is inevitably "stuff" lying around & you don't want to be peered at whilst eating or worse...

So I ordered my 2013 Cali with the factory tinted option.

As soon as I saw it in daylight, I thought it was inadequate as you could still see clearly everything inside.

After a couple of years use, I just had the rear side windows additionally filmed with Glastint XS 35 (the lightest they do - about equivalent to the original) without touching the boot or front side windows.

I think that result is OK as you need to really peer close to the windows to see anything inside, but don't notice too much looking out or reading inside.
I wouldn't have wanted anything darker."

Had limo tint, as was working and using cali for business. The equipment and spares i carried were very expensive, hence the tint.

John

We had our Cali made with lumar 86 and we are quite happy with it.
Dark but not to dark.

e929b3e848057c509d15b1c1e3d69145.jpg
02bca7f14c483f6bfc35a262c09ae375.jpg

I went for 20% (light in) dark smoke tint over existing vw factory privacy glass as advised by in car services Leicester, £195 all in.

It's perfect just around a tad darker than 20%, around 10-15%, looks great inside and out, unless you get near the van it's hard to see anything at all, then you just see shapes.

I had the windows tinted on my 2006 Cali
Not limo but one down,mine is reflex silver so looks cool
There is no evidence of the matrix dots showing at all
The company that did mine have been in business for 30 years and give a 7 year warranty against workmanship and tint material,

The only thing I will point out and it doesn't look odd, and that's because the rear most side windows and tailgate glass are double glazed it gives a very slight hint of a mirror , this is because of the light reflecting off the outer glass onto the inner glass, But it no ways looks odd,

Hope this helps

I put limo 5% tint on mine last year, and it's wonderful. Used Twilight Tint in Chichester- so go for it

I put limo 5% tint on mine last year, and it's wonderful. Used Twilight Tint in Chichester- so go for it
Hi Isa Neal

I'm thinking of going for limo next week, any chance you could share a picture of yours?

Also, what's it like

a) inside (i.e. really dark or ok)?
b) can you see out the tail gate window ok for reversing/parking?

I went to company that did the tinting and they gave me some decent sized sheets of film. I took them home and taped them to the inside windows and took a couple of days to decide which one was best. If you have double glazed windows they will look different to the single glazed slider - more metallic.

I've had mine done about two years and quite happy with it, even in the hotter, brighter conditions in NZ. Just remember it is softer than glass and will scratch so be careful when filling up the boot.

Here's the original thread and pictures.
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/rear-window-tinting.5798/#post-50573

Andy

cid:40882E53-F8DC-4F0E-B2D5-6BF43C2BF68F@mobilenotes.apple.com
This is before the tint- you can see straight through

cid:C3779CF8-B79A-4BBD-BFC8-5D6C6244E200@mobilenotes.apple.com
This is after the tint, different angle but you cannot see into the habitation area at all
cid:AC4FFA47-0B3D-4C26-8E22-842A33DDEB07@mobilenotes.apple.com
This is another view post tint

I don't find it too dark inside you can still see out easily. I have a parking camera and sensors so don't need to see through back window when reversing so I have the rear blind down permanently. Before the tint was applied I was shown the difference between the degrees of tint and how it would look from the outside and from the inside, I'm sure any reputable firm would do the same.

Back