Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Price gouging by sites?

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My wife and I are just looking at availability within the Camping & Motorhome Club sites for October. Sites we stayed at barely two weeks ago are now charging double.
Nudging £50 per night is silly in our view. Any other experiences like this out there?

My wife and I are just looking at availability within the Camping & Motorhome Club sites for October. Sites we stayed at barely two weeks ago are now charging double.
Nudging £50 per night is silly in our view. Any other experiences like this out there?
Been looking myself for this month, pricing for sites has increased dramatically. I think the cover will be going on Billy Ocean until next season. Just paid my membership tp C&MC but will seriously have to consider the options going forward.

I always wonder why price is completely unrelated to size of vehicle on these sites. It is difficult not to resent paying the same for a night as the Neighbouring enormous white vehicle that completely dwarfs you! Surely some sites should start to charge related to size of van and therefore Use of water, electric and disposal of grey water etc. We like to travel as frugal as possible - no hookup unless essential, awning only if stopping more than one night etc. but surely pricing policy has to change when we pay the same as a huge motor home.

I always wonder why price is completely unrelated to size of vehicle on these sites. It is difficult not to resent paying the same for a night as the Neighbouring enormous white vehicle that completely dwarfs you! Surely some sites should start to charge related to size of van and therefore Use of water, electric and disposal of grey water etc. We like to travel as frugal as possible - no hookup unless essential, awning only if stopping more than one night etc. but surely pricing policy has to change when we pay the same as a huge motor home.
Trying to charge by size would be impractical, what factors would be used to calculate the charge? A family of 4 in a campervan is likely to be using more of the site’s resources and facilities than a solo traveler in a large motor home.
I think the CAMC pricing set up works well, a pitch price plus price per person.

Which CAMC sites are those? £50 is steep!

Supply and Demand?

Just booked this week for 14 days in April 2021, using 3 CAMC sites and the average price per night is £31.75 for Cali/Caravan/2 people.
The above is full 2021 prices with standard VAT.
It would be good like to know which sites are charging £50, as ArunAlec says £50 is really steep.

We have booked 4 nights at a Premier Inn , in a great location and only £29.99 per night for two of us , much better value than the nearest campsite which was £38 per night. In the Premier Inn I have a king size bed and ensuite so I don't have to walk to the toilet in the rain. No Brainer

Last edited:
Norfolk Broads, Sandringham, Longleat - all showing around £50 pn for 2nd week in Oct.

We have booked 4 nights at a Premier Inn , in a great location and only £29.99 per night for two of us , much better value than the nearest campsite which was £38 per night. In the Premier Inn I have a king size bed and ensuite so I don't have to walk to the toilet in the rain. No Brainer

You get this mornings Genius badge ;)

Agreed, we now use a lot Airbnb's where the price can be very similar to a campsite pitch and we have found some gorgeous places. Campsite prices have been on the rise over the past few years before Corona, I remember not many years ago I could get a nice pitch for £12 per night but these sort of prices are now sadly very rare

Agreed, we now use a lot Airbnb's where the price can be very similar to a campsite pitch and we have found some gorgeous places. Campsite prices have been on the rise over the past few years before Corona, I remember not many years ago I could get a nice pitch for £12 per night but these sort of prices are now sadly very rare

That’s the beauty of a Cali.
Will park outside almost anywhere. Which gives more flexibility in your travels

I have booked Cambridge and Malvern for next may/June. 11nights average £21.30, only one adult, would be around £31 with two, and that includes a bank holiday weekend. Those are member prices.

Campsites are like any other business. They have to cover their costs to remain in business and for some campsites offering all facilities open then those costs have increased considerably. It is up to the user to determine if they no longer represent value and go elsewhere and so campsites will be just as vulnerable as anyone else in having to afford a business model that in the current climate may be uncompetitive.

We like the versatility of the Cali when getting out and about. Our recent trip down to Dorset is a good example where we stopped on a pub car park the first night in exchange for a meal and some drinks, a campsite for 4 nights, another pub car park and then drove into central Bristol and stayed for 2 nights in the Travelodge for less than £30 per night. I could not have done all of that ( nor would have I wanted to) with a larger motorhome so the compromises, in my view, are worth it. We also now only have the Cali so it is also our daily driver.

I remember touring France, dragging a 6 month old baby around French campsites in 2016.
We just needed some time out. So pulled up here and slummed it for a couple of nights in a French Chateau.

An oversized van, might have stood out in the car park. The Cali blended in...

4711A86C-AFA2-4662-B64E-ED81A5C54FBD.jpeg

My best was parking outside the 5* Marriott , County Hall London for 2 nights.
Stood out amongst all the high end saloons and sports cars, but got more viewings from the guests than the others. Peering through the windows , and a few chauffeurs wandering around it and asking me questions when I was getting something from the boot.

Where is this Premier Inn?

Exmouth on the sea front with uninterrupted sea views ( make sure you ask for a sea view room when booking)

Does it have parking? If so I will do that time I want an Exmouth stopover, as you can't stay overnight on the seafront in a campervan/moho now.

+1 for Premier Inns, nice rooms and always consistent at all locations and as mentioned above you can find rooms for same price as a campsite. Cali does not look out of place in the car park too.

Prices do vary, so do the hotels.