Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pots and Pans

L

laurao

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I have looked but couldn’t see an existing thread. Recommendations for pots, pans, crockery, cutlery.

We don’t have our van (Ocean) yet, have seen something about not getting pans that are too large (measurements in the manual- but we don’t have the manual!!) but hopefully in a few weeks so want to get prepped.

Thanks

I have looked but couldn’t see an existing thread. Recommendations for pots, pans, crockery, cutlery.

We don’t have our van (Ocean) yet, have seen something about not getting pans that are too large (measurements in the manual- but we don’t have the manual!!) but hopefully in a few weeks so want to get prepped.

Thanks
Crockery and cutlery - Ikea and camping/ caravan shops.
Pots & Pans, yes base diameter is important otherwise heat / flames directed sidewise damaging the sides of the hob/fridge lid or sink if too wide..

625CFAFF-65B5-48E2-8ED5-6EDC0058B610.jpeg

We have a Ridgemonkey and combined with a small pot we almost have enough to prepare our meals.
But as with many things all depends on personal needs .
We are just two and have no difficulties in eating whatever , in the Cali we stick to simple things .

We have a Ridgemonkey and combined with a small pot we almost have enough to prepare our meals.
But as with many things all depends on personal needs .
We are just two and have no difficulties in eating whatever , in the Cali we stick to simple things .
Hi HotelCalifornia, What size Ridgemonkey do you have? Is it less than 20cm across?

@GrumpyGranddad , it's one of the early models . The one that does not come appart in two seperate lids. I'll have to get it out and mesure...

EDIT : it's thisone we have

Last edited:
@GrumpyGranddad , it's one of the early models . The one that does not come appart in two seperate lids. I'll have to get it out and mesure...

Ooh. I'm trying to restrict pre-delivery purchases to need-to-haves. I think this might be a necessity!

The RM is very handy when camping

Thanks

Removable handles and stacking pots save precious space
Agree about removable handles to save space.
Ridgemonkey now have detachable handles as do Tefal ingenio fry pans and saucepans. It depends on what kind of cooking you do as to they quality of pan you want/need. My pans have to be multifunctional and be able to be used in the van over gas as well as outdoors over wood fire, spirit, charcoal and lots of other fuels (foraged branches, sticks & twigs, pine cones, dried dung, hex blocks, gas, etc). If being used over flame mine need to have robust bases to take the soot being scrubbed off.
I keep my pots and pans in our Ocean's under bench seat draw with cooking utensils (and other utility stuff). Ikea Skubb boxes divide the space nicely.
I'm a tin mug kinda gal and don't go in for matching sets of things. Our cutlery (stored in the cutlery draw) is a mismatch of items from old sets of ours or from charity shops, as are our plates and dishes (stored in an Ikea Varieria box in the left kitchen cupboard, top shelf).
I use thin Ikea tea towels to wrap things in that might rattle or break (only breakables are 2 clear pyrex dinner sized plates - useful as plates or lids for hot pans - and an Ikea 28cm flat glass lid that fits my tefal fry pans (stows flat under towels and things in the overhead cupboard that pulls down). I'm thinking of getting some corvelle (vitrious glass) crockery, not becuse of the lovely designs but because they're really robust.

We have a 24cm non-stick deep frying pan (sauté pan) with lid, a small non-stick saucepan with lid, and the little shallow frying pan (non--stick) from a Trangia stove which we use as a toaster. All stack & store in the bottom left-hand cupboard. We always cook & eat in the van (when on holiday, I mean, not in the street outside our flat).

If you're planning to do a lot of frying, a small spatter-guard is really useful, saves having to wipe fat splashes off everywhere, and stores vertically on the upper shelf of the left-hand cupboard. Got it from Lidl I think.

If you're planning to do a lot of frying, a small spatter-guard is really useful, saves having to wipe fat splashes off everywhere, and stores vertically on the upper shelf of the left-hand cupboard. Got it from Lidl I think.
I’ve always thought the mesh would get clogged up and gunky. How easy is it to clean?

I’ve always thought the mesh would get clogged up and gunky. How easy is it to clean?
Oddly it never seems to get dirty at all - I just give it a wipe with the dishcloth. If it did, I'd put it in the dishwasher between trips.

Outwell do a great range of collapsible pots, pans, bowls, kettle etc which we have that are great quality and free up a huge about of space

Crockery and cutlery - Ikea and camping/ caravan shops.
Pots & Pans, yes base diameter is important otherwise heat / flames directed sidewise damaging the sides of the hob/fridge lid or sink if too wide..

View attachment 67190
Tefal ingenio are good
Another vote for Tefal ingenio, with some felt pot protectors to stop them rattling off each other

We have a collapsible bucket, which is good for taking the dinner things to the washing up area, if there's too much to wash up in the van.
All our crockery is melamine, which is lightweight, solid, unbreakable and has no plasticky taste. I like decent cutlery, so bought some from Muji. Another very useful thing we have is a square tray (from Ikea) - useful for taking stuff to the table outside, and to use as a drainboard if washing up in the van.
We keep the pans and a few other things in an Ikea washing up bowl in the cupboard; the cups & plates are in a fabric folding Ikea box.

Ridge Monkey (for pans) and Tefal Ingenio pots (a set of 3). And a Decathlon kettle with a lid.