Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Potential meet at Stockbridge Hampshire 2021

GillianC

GillianC

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
A friend of mine has a farm near Stockbridge in Hampshire and she is preparing a rally field ready for use next year. She has a T6 van conversion herself.
The field will be level and has easy access. Drinking water and a chemical disposal point will be installed and it is in a very peaceful location.
It would be possible to hire in portaloos or she is thinking of buying a shower/toilet trailer which we could use.

I am looking for feedback really, would many be interested and if so what shower/toilet facilities would you require or not require.

Coming from a motorcycling touring background, for a weekend, a chemical disposal unit is the only item required. Toilet facilities will be good but not essential. Likewise, washing facilities will be good, but not essential. With our own toilet tent, we are self-sufficient in the Cali.

Again, everyone is different ... and availability/non-availability of facilities will determine it for many people though.
If your friend wants us to come and test facilities and provide feedback, we are always game :bananadance2

Could also do a Hampshire and nearby shires 'morning breakfast meetup.

Sounds a nice idea for a local meet . Van being built next week. Just from down the road in Andover. It would be nice to meet the neighbours. Just a loo will do !

And chilled Black Chalk fizz...

We do not do Rallies @GillianC but what a nice idea and Stockbridge is a nice location for a meet.

I’d consider it if I have towing vehicle for Eriba by then, and that is allowed...

I’d consider it if I have towing vehicle for Eriba by then, and that is allowed...
I’m absolutely sure it will be allowed! It is a huge field and they are very relaxed and friendly people.

Another question...
How much would you be prepared to pay a night for exclusive use of a massive field water and chemical disposal? This is a new venture for my friend and any views welcome.

Ill have a chat with him to see if feasible, what about neighbours ie noise
My friend said a band should be fine as long as it doesn’t go on too late into the night. Not sure what electric is available but could ask?

Another question...
How much would you be prepared to pay a night for exclusive use of a massive field water and chemical disposal? This is a new venture for my friend and any views welcome.

Gillian, whatever is normal is good. Check the charges for the Slimbridge or the Looe meet and that should give you some idea.

Gillian, whatever is normal is good. Check the charges for the Slimbridge or the Looe meet and that should give you some idea.
I went to both meets so know the charges but this is a field with no EHU, showers or toilets so very different to my norm.
My friend mentioned £10 a night but I feel this is on the low side?

I went to both meets so know the charges but this is a field with no EHU, showers or toilets so very different to my norm.
My friend mentioned £10 a night but I feel this is on the low side?

Got it.

Then I can relate to the Aire at Calais. 10 Euros for the night. No facilities other than a dump station and fresh water. A functional site with an area to park. Worked for us as we just needed to park for the night before the train next day morning.

Then whatever she thinks will cover her costs will be about right. She will sure get feedback and ideas when people visit. The site can be built up little at a time.

Sounds good to me @GillianC
Portaloos would be good as a minimum, not sure what they would cost to hire for a weekend but factor that into the price per night, depending on numbers attending.
if I can help in anyway, please let me know, should this become a reality!

Portaloos would be good as a minimum, not sure what they would cost to hire for a weekend but factor that into the price per night, depending on numbers attending.
Thank you Chris. I think that this could be a really fun weekend. Will keep you posted! Gillian

Last edited:
Depending upon time of year, we could be interested in this. Portaloos desirable. Showers on the nice to have's list.

I'd be interested but would like toilet facilities of some sort, shower un-necessary. Doesn't need to be anything fancy.
Not so keen on a band though

Hi GC

Porta loos,
normally, min hire 4 weeks + £25 ish each toilet, delivery £50 ish for one scale of economy applies to multiple units, and weekly toilet clean per toilet, minimum is usually one clean for the min hire period. (Everything is negotiable to a degree, depending on supply and demand)

more expensive and comfortable options available, such as mobile unit, with proper toilets, sink etc. these can be from luxury 5 star to basic cabin. (Think construction site) but note they probably will need to be self contained units (waste tank) otherwise you will need an existing sewer / manhole to tap into.

Hampshire, no problem with multiple suppliers In the area.

outside urinal system can work well for larger numbers of men, as in at festivals etc. leaving the portaloos for those who need a sit down!

here’s a couple of web site to get you started. :cheers

showers, VIP toilets etc could be worked on a pre booking / pay system for those who want to access them, and allow to gauge level of interest prior to committing with a supplier & cover costs in advance

Not to wanting to put a dampener on it, there are more things to consider, The sad fact is you May need to notify the local authority/ council, fire brigade, insurer (public liability/ event insurance) etc of an event, carry out risk assessment, particularly an event where charges are made and Joe public can turn up, check with the Local authority if a license is required,particularly if having a band etc.

campsites have to have a license from the Local authority even if it’s just a field o_O. :Iamsorry

hard stand, cover, power supply etc for the band?

alternatively you could say it’s a private event such as birthday etc. With invited friends, but adequate insurance is a must to protect yourself if nothing else!

other things that could work to offset costs, are pop up catering etc, you offer a vendor the pitch for a cut of any profit, which helps cover overheads of facilities etc. Could be a mobile burger van, hog roast, pizza, bar etc.

just a few things to think about in this modern society of litigation and bureaucracy and general glue and BS that sucks the life out of normal people !

like your style and thinking though, go for it.

Hi GC

Porta loos,
normally, min hire 4 weeks + £25 ish each toilet, delivery £50 ish for one scale of economy applies to multiple units, and weekly toilet clean per toilet, minimum is usually one clean for the min hire period. (Everything is negotiable to a degree, depending on supply and demand)

more expensive and comfortable options available, such as mobile unit, with proper toilets, sink etc. these can be from luxury 5 star to basic cabin. (Think construction site) but note they probably will need to be self contained units (waste tank) otherwise you will need an existing sewer / manhole to tap into.

Hampshire, no problem with multiple suppliers In the area.

outside urinal system can work well for larger numbers of men, as in at festivals etc. leaving the portaloos for those who need a sit down!

here’s a couple of web site to get you started. :cheers

showers, VIP toilets etc could be worked on a pre booking / pay system for those who want to access them, and allow to gauge level of interest prior to committing with a supplier & cover costs in advance

Not to wanting to put a dampener on it, there are more things to consider, The sad fact is you May need to notify the local authority/ council, fire brigade, insurer (public liability/ event insurance) etc of an event, carry out risk assessment, particularly an event where charges are made and Joe public can turn up, check with the Local authority if a license is required,particularly if having a band etc.

campsites have to have a license from the Local authority even if it’s just a field o_O. :Iamsorry

hard stand, cover, power supply etc for the band?

alternatively you could say it’s a private event such as birthday etc. With invited friends, but adequate insurance is a must to protect yourself if nothing else!

other things that could work to offset costs, are pop up catering etc, you offer a vendor the pitch for a cut of any profit, which helps cover overheads of facilities etc. Could be a mobile burger van, hog roast, pizza, bar etc.

just a few things to think about in this modern society of litigation and bureaucracy and general glue and BS that sucks the life out of normal people !

like your style and thinking though, go for it.

Thank you for you informative reply @Perfectos . I will pass this on.

Hi @GillianC As mentioned above by @Perfectos , you will definitely need to ask your friend to investigate insurance as the club has been down this route several times before when arranging meets on these type of sites, the chances are her standard insurance will not cover rallies so she will need additional public liability insurance ( event Insurance which from memory I think cost about £250 for a weekend). There are companies out there that do offer this as a one off for a set period, these companies will also ask for a risk assessment etc... . It can become quite complex especially when you start talking about live music etc... This is why the club has always tended to arrange meets on sites which are already set up for rallies and have their own licence and insurance in place.

Last edited: