Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Potential Boxdrive 600XL purchase

SpuffingtonMe

SpuffingtonMe

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi all,

I’ve had my T6 Cali Ocean for 15months now. It’s a fine vehicle but was always going to take some getting used to following owning a 9m, 7t Concorde Charisma. For 90% of its usage (ie as second car), it does a great job and for trips solo or with one child, we love it. But as a family of four, I can’t get my head around camper life and prefer motorhoming. Therefore, looking to keep the utility of a small-ish van as a second car, but with slightly more habitation space, I’m going to view a Knaus Boxdrive 600XL tomorrow.

The original plan was to have one built to spec (4t chassis upgrade, 4Motion and lots of toys) but dealer is telling me it’s going to be way into 2024 for a build slot. Therefore I’m looking at what’s available now.

The best one I can find for spec is a FWD and I suppose my question is, for those who have a Boxdrive, how do you find FWD and do you wish you had 4Motion? I have FWD on the Cali and 99% of the time it’s ok. A bit of a pain at busy wet junctions or on wet grassy fields, but only been stuck once in 12k miles. But has been adjustment after 15yrs of RWD or AWD cars.

This is the main sticking point. I can get LED headlights, heated seats, heated windscreen and leather steering wheel retrofitted (at a cost) but obviously 4Motion is a factory item.

What’s the general consensus (if there is one)? I’m more thinking about it from the context of 3.88-4t chassis rather than FWD/4Motion per se.

Additionally, anyone any experience of owning and living with the 600XL? I see the 680ME has some love here, which is good to see.

As background, we’re a family of four - two adults and one 10yr old and one 2.5yr old with the potential to add another nipper at some point. So I’m looking into dual bench seat in front (I’ve been in touch with R&J) and the front table can be converted to a small 5th berth.

TIA

For an answer to many of your questions you may find it worthwhile looking at either or both of these sources and asking questions there.

and

The latter is relatively new but ever growing.

For an answer to many of your questions you may find it worthwhile looking at either or both of these sources and asking questions there.

and

The latter is relatively new but ever growing.

Thank you for those!