Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Possible changes to my order

Stolly

Stolly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I knew going on this forum would be a big mistake! I placed my order for a California Ocean with Guy in Preston just a mere two weeks ago and, given that I'll have a good 6 month wait and that I'm already drumming my fingers, I've started to think of adding some extras to my order.... most of which have been influenced by reading the forum.

My order that is in is as follows:

150PS 6 speed 4motion California Ocean
Differential lock
Discover media navigation system plus
Black awning
Front and rear parking sensors
Insulated green glass in cab + double glazed green privacy glass in passenger compartment

On top of that I am definitely adding:

Magnetic flash light

Where I'm still undecided are:

All weather tyres (I live in the sticks where we get plenty of winter weather)?
Driver alert with premium multi function display - what exactly is the multi function display?
4 standard interior lights plus fluorescent light in passenger cab - how necessary is this?
Mud flaps (purely for looks I guess)?
Black side rails (purely for looks)?
Roof bar set - can the roof open with these still attached?

Finally if I get the side rails I was wondering about black alloys too - maybe the 18" 5 spoke sportline ones. This would require a full set of 18" tyres though and I've no idea what they would add to the price. Any ideas?

All help massively appreciated. Somewhere along the line the additional cost will kick in and I'llprobably need to come to my senses but a little dreaming now seems like a good idea

Many of those items you can choose to add later.
Personally I would definitely have the mud flaps. Not as good when added as aftermarket. Factory fit are better.

Mike

One other. I've upgraded my alloys. If I had the garage space, well even a garage to be honest I would get the standard wheels and pick up a 2nd set of ones I really wanted and stick winters on the other. Bit late now as I'm locked in. Just a thought. Good luck it comes as some relief when your order gets locked it.

Mike

M and S tyres if you live in a rural location would give you peace of mind, and cheaper than a full set of winters to change over to. If you are going into serious bad weather country (mud, not just snow) then I would go for winters as well, otherwise MnS would do the job.

The multi-function display is the bit between the central dash and the speedo cluster that is trip computer, settings monitor, secondary navigation etc. I believe the premium is a colour option. If so I get on well enough seeing the world in black and white.

Mud flaps by VW standards are a cheap option and personally given the amount of mud that can get kicked up, essential. Could save a lot of stone chips.

Finally if I get the side rails I was wondering about black alloys too
Have you told us what colour van you have ordered? (I couldn't see it). Black rails and alloys look great with certain colours.

Acapulco blue
Oh, for me, that makes a vote for Silver details, not black (although others will have a different view!).

Google has plenty of images of Acapulco Transporters with black wheels etc.

All weather tyres - you've got 4Motion so could try a winter without and delay decision / expense?
Drive alert - not sure what this is referring to
4 standard interior lights ... - I don't have this and not sure why an additional light in passenger would be required?
Mud flaps ... - I see the comments above but I don't have them and my paint chips are on the bonnet...
Black side rails ?... can't comment
Roof bar set - can the roof open with these still attached? - yes

Thanks very much for your answers. So far I'm definitely adding the magnetic torch and the mud flaps to my original order. I've concluded that the coloured multi function display is probably a completely unnecessary add on and it sounds like the added lighting in the passenger bay is too. And I guess I can add the roof bar as and when it looks like I'll need it. I'll go for the bog standard tyres too rather than the all weather ones.

Where I'm still umming and arring is for the side bars and the alloy wheels. The black alloy wheels would I think really look good, but will require wider tyres as well, and the black side rails too are in all honesty all about looks which, especially if I get the alloys, will make the van just that little bit more unique. Presumably as these are both accessories the changes are done when the van is delivered to the dealership?

I "cannot possibly" go without the dinky little magnetic torch and the mud flaps but I think I'll email Guy about the alloys and side rails and pin down the price before finally deciding

I was told by our dealer that the magnetic torch was a waste of £60 but it's your choice. I believe they are supposed to come with a little LED torch that plugs into the 12v socket in the dash.

Teejay

Hello Stolly,
IMO, if you are going for the 150, I suspect that you would get more enjoyment and use out of having the dsg gearbox rather than the 4motion. (I don't think you can order a 150 dsg 4motion Ocean in the UK?). The 4motion is a useful if not expensive option which will prove itself only occasionally whereas the dsg is such a joy to use all the time.

We have an Acapulco Blue Beach and IMO they look great with chrome side bars.
image.jpeg

We also have that magnetic torch thing but so far we haven't managed to figure out how to remove it from it's bracket. It seems to be well stuck in place. It may end up being one option that we never use, because we can't!

Our mud flaps were fitted by the dealer and were more expensive than the factory fitted ones so make sure you add them to your order form.

Happy adventures.

Last edited:
I was told by our dealer that the magnetic torch was a waste of £60 but it's your choice. I believe they are supposed to come with a little LED torch that plugs into the 12v socket in the dash.

Teejay

Phew, thanks Teejay. I thought that the magnetic torch was the LED torch that plugs into the cigarette lighter; that's why I wanted it as it looks so twee and lovely. So I get that anyway then? If so I'm not at all interested in the magnetic torch - both me and my wife have Hope headtorches (used for fell running in the dark and a myriad of normal camping out reasons) and absolutely have no need for another torch.... unless its a dinky one that slots into the cigarette lighter of course

Hello Stolly,
IMO, if you are going for the 150, I suspect that you would get more enjoyment and use out of having the dsg gearbox rather than the 4motion. The 4motion is a useful if not expensive option which will prove itself only occasionally whereas the dsg is such a joy to use all the time.

We have an Acapulco Blue Beach and IMO they look great with chrome side bars.
View attachment 16442

We also have that magnetic torch thing but so far we haven't managed to figure out how to remove it from it's bracket. It seems to be well stuck in place. It may end up being one option that we never use.

Our mud flaps were fitted by the dealer and were more expensive than the factory fitted ones so make sure you add them to your order form.

Happy adventures.

Great van there Borris - hmmm... the silver side bar looks excellent.

We live 800 feet above sea level in the Yorkshire Dales, surrounded by 2,000 feet hills/mountains and can get a fair whack of snow in the winter. Our 'main' road', the B6479, can be dodgy in places in the snow and is also prone to flooding occasionally. And it's pretty rainy hereabouts too. So I think 4motion is probably a good thing :)

I've not got mine yet so others can confirm, please don't take my word for it !

Cost £60:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/got-it-yesterday-need-help-with-the-torch.9303/

"free" or similar the do go missing apparently but it does look handy.

146921_x600.jpg

I didn't know about these torches but ebay option looks good.

Last edited:
Phew, thanks Teejay. I thought that the magnetic torch was the LED torch that plugs into the cigarette lighter; that's why I wanted it as it looks so twee and lovely. So I get that anyway then? If so I'm not at all interested in the magnetic torch - both me and my wife have Hope headtorches (used for fell running in the dark and a myriad of normal camping out reasons) and absolutely have no need for another torch.... unless its a dinky one that slots into the cigarette lighter of course
Well under those circumstances I think you are right to stick with the 4motion.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm now happy with my final choices :)

Acapulco blue California Ocean
150 PS 6 speed manual
4motion
Differential lock
Black awning
Insulated green glass in cab + double glazed green privacy glass in passenger compartment
Mud flaps
Black side rails
Cascaval black diamond alloy wheels

Adaptive cruise ? Have it on car and miss it on van.. My satnav has broke twice so not sure I'd bother next time...Agree with 4 motion as I'm north Scotland with spare Winter wheels and like the feel of not having to worry going Winter weekends to the sticks. I have auto on car but don't mind switching to manual van.

I knew going on this forum would be a big mistake! I placed my order for a California Ocean with Guy in Preston just a mere two weeks ago and, given that I'll have a good 6 month wait and that I'm already drumming my fingers, I've started to think of adding some extras to my order.... most of which have been influenced by reading the forum.

Differential lock
Black awning

Magnetic flash light

Driver alert with premium multi function display - what exactly is the multi function display?
4 standard interior lights plus fluorescent light in passenger cab - how necessary is this?

Finally if I get the side rails I was wondering about black alloys too - maybe the 18" 5 spoke sportline ones. This would require a full set of 18" tyres though and I've no idea what they would add to the price. Any ideas?

All help massively appreciated. Somewhere along the line the additional cost will kick in and I'llprobably need to come to my senses but a little dreaming now seems like a good idea

150 PS 6 speed manual
4motion
Differential lock
Black awning
Mud flaps
Black side rails
Vw factory fit 18" wheels are priced at £1728.00. I couldn't justify that as after all they keep the 17" set.
Torch extortionate and go missing apparently.
I've copied this from online brochure, not very clear but wheel costs are there.
Wheels and tyres. Beach Ocean 16" Clayton alloy wheels. 6.5J x 16. ● ● – – 17" Cascavel alloy wheels, Anthracite diamond turned surface. 7J x 17. £890.00 £1,068.00 £560.00 £672.00 17" Cascavel alloy wheels, Black diamond turned surface. 7J x 17. £890.00 £1,068.00 £560.00 £672.00 17" Cascavel alloy wheels, Silver diamond turned surface. 7J x 17. £825.00 £990.00 £490.00 £588.00 17" Devonport alloy wheels. 7J x 17. £825.00 £990.00 ● ● 17" Timaru alloy wheels. 7J x 17. £825.00 £990.00 £490.00 £588.00 18" Palmerston alloy wheels. 8J x 18. Ocean 204PS only. – – £1,440.00 £1,728.00 18" Springfield alloy wheels. 8J x 18. £1,775.00 £2,130.00 £1,440.00 £1,728.00 18" Toluca alloy wheels. 8J x 18. Ocean 204PS only. – – £1,440.00 £1,728.00 All-weather tyres, 215/65 R16 C 106/104T with optimised rolling resistance. £105.00 £126.00 – – All–weather tyres, 215/60 R17 C 109/107T with optimised rolling resistance. £105.00 £126.00 – – All–weather tyres, 235/55 R17 103H XL with optimised rolling resistance. £105.00 £126.00 – – All–weather tyres, 255/45 R18 103H XL with optimised rolling resistance. ● ● – – Winter tyres, 215/65 R16 C 106/104T. £105.00 £126.00 – –

I do'nt have the Discovery Media Navigation and do not regret it, although I have it in my Golf. A Tom Tom Go 6000 is cheap(er), far more user friendly and has a bigger screen. And life time free updates. If you keep your Cali for a lot of years, after a three years of so, the VW navigation wil be outdated. The central position is not ideal, a Tom Tom can be put on the dashboard in a beter line of sight.
The options I have an appreciate most are: DSG, rear view camera, adaptive cruise control. I also would recommend LED headlightsIMG_0785.JPG The black Cascavel alloys look great on a Cali. Candy white saves you the money spent on a metallic colour.
In any case a lot of fun with your Cali, I myself enjoy it every minute since the delivery end of may 2016!

150 PS 6 speed manual
4motion
Differential lock
Black awning
Mud flaps
Black side rails

Bugger! I've now added the bike rack...

Differential lock
Black awning

Magnetic flash light

You asked about side bars, are they just for looks? There was a thread in August 2015 just before we collected our Cali https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/tada-my-first-own-scratch.11211/#post-108285 . This convinced me that they may have a real use. We had black side bars fitted and have not regretted it. Simon

Differential lock
Black awning

Magnetic flash light

Just curious. Why have you added a diff lock?
Having previously had a Discovery 4 (one of the best 4 wheel drives) and currently a BMW 320D Tourer Xdrive I have never found the need for a diff lock even in 6" of snow.
Pre retirement I operated 32tonne HGV tippers with 4 axles the 2 drive ones had cross locks & also inter axle locks. These had to be used with caution as you lost steering control due to the drives wanting to go straight on or worse still if on a camber the HGV went sideways. Locks couldn't be engaged when vehicle in motion.

I haven't spec'd this lock with my 4 Motion order, should I? Perhaps current users can advise.
Note not picking any fault with your order just would like to know of 'need' for the lock.

Back