Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portugal for a month in March - any tips

steviej

steviej

VIP Member
We are driving down to Portugal for a month and have never been there before. I would welcome any advice on sites, availability of camping gas 907 cylinders, wild camping/safety, toll's etc........

Thanks in anticipation

I can't comment on any sites, unfortunately, as we haven't been that far afield. I would think that your original gas cylinder should last that long without too much trouble - we had about 21 days away in the Cali last year, and still have about 1/2 a cylinder left. That includes cooking most evenings, and a few cups of tea. Enjoy your trip.

Simon

Hi Steve,

We have holidayed often in Portugal and had a great time every time, either driving from Santander or hiring cars at the airport, but not in our Cali yet, so can't help with camp sites.

Motorways are mostly toll, either by collecting a ticket at the barrier on entry to the motorway and then paying when you exit or at an intermediate manned barrier between sections. Often the local exit barriers are not manned and you pay using your debit/credit card. Locals can buy an automatic windscreen toll card which allows them to pass quickly through a none barriered outer lane. Look out for these as some drivers do not slow for them, but bang through at high speed.

Also there are now automatic systems in place on some newer motorways. You pay each section when passing under a gantry over the carriageway and also at exits. You are required to register your debit card and vehicle registration number at the first services as you enter the country.

Around towns are free.

Do be aware that there is often some very fast on these motorways, drivers have a habit of driving up your tailpipe when you are overtaking a slower vehicle, but by indicating to move back into the nearside lane as soon as safely possible, and keeping your wits about you, all will be OK.

Fuel is about the same price as in the UK but cheaper in Spain. Most drivers pull off before the border to fill up.

The people are very friendly, food is generally 'comforting' (they do like potatoes!) and Michelin standard in some restaurants, seafood is plentiful and fresh. The wine is great and well priced in the local supermarkets.

Porto is a great city and further south Obidos and Coimbra are a must. Lisbon is vibrant and interesting with funicular railways up the hills if you get that far south. Lots of lovely beaches on the coast very similar to rocky Cornwall coves in the north and more sandy further south, with lovely landscapes inland.

If you want a night in a hotel, the state owned Posdadas are luxurious and reasonably priced by UK standards.

I am very envious, we can't get away until late July. Have a great time.

Hi Steve,

Try this

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=2137

Blakey , one of our old members did this Blog about his Cali which included a trip to Southern Europe.

We are very fond of Portugal and we even had a holiday house there, in Praia Da Luz (great beach and nice village). :D :cool:

Good luck with your trip. :thumb

John

steviej said:
We are driving down to Portugal for a month and have never been there before. I would welcome any advice on sites, availability of camping gas 907 cylinders, wild camping/safety, toll's etc........

Thanks in anticipation
We spent 4 weeks in Portugal last year, no problems with gas, We do also use a 2 ring electric hob for cooking on as well. For sites we always use the ACSI campsites, you can buy a copy from Vacarious books in Folkstone, or use ACSI website which is very good. Didn't use toll roads very much as too expensive.
ps Also try Orbitur camping lots of sites.

John

I went to portugal March 2012, it was windy on west & south coast, but warm.
None of the campsites I used gave any ASCI discount as it is low season.
As others have said friendly people & good food.
Found a nice spot on the coast to free camp with about a dozen other vans & motorhomes, near Salema. Warning there are NO facilities anywhere near by. Put this into google maps to find it. 37.066356,-8.809048
Had no problem free camping any where, even in Porto on waste land between two rows of houses !!

907 sold at cheap prices at many large sites in portugal. Tolls are v expensive and surprisingly empty of traffic, but alternate roads take ages. Obviously the cost puts locals off

Sat nav could be set to avoid tolls, I would suggest sticking to small roads and planning your journey accordingly.

Porto and Lisbon are really good places to visit with loads to do

As per usual, great advice on this forum. looking forward to our trip - thanks

Stephen

Here at Vila Real de Santo Antonio there are a hundred is so vans parked on the quay wintering....arrived late last night and a lovely day here today.......

Shorts and Shirt.....

This are has a lot to offer...don't miss.....

I spent a few nights at Camping Monte Gordo. Huge site with a lot of folk from all over spending winter here.

Hi
Just read your post.

We have been travelling from Dover to the Algarve three times a year for the past two years and I would agree with the comments posted.

English is spoken widely at tourist places and the banking facilities are as good as anywhere else in Europe.

Camping Gaz either disposible cartidges or exchange refills are widely available at supermarkets and are considerable cheaper than the UK.

Motorways are expensive but empty, but if you are not in a hurry, the north south main roads are usually fairly quiet. The road which is usually very busy is the N125 on the Algarve

We travel with ACSI, Caravan Club and aires books for the countries we are passing through.

When in Portugal if you see a silver Cali, give me a wave.

We were in Northern Portugal last year - I can highly recommend the Sierra de Geres (Parque de Campismo do Vidoeiro is a good central spot) as a more remote and very beautiful mountain location. The Douro valley is also superb. Beware of Zumba weekends and live events at the campsites along the coast on the weekends.

Portugal is our favourite country. We also (John) have a house in the Algarve (Praia da Luz) and spend most of the winter there. We drive down in the California, and use it to explore other regions. We've been going there for over 25 years. In March, if you want good weather, head south! As confirmed above. a couple of the newer motorways (including the Algarve A22)are now toll roads with cameras/transponders/auto payment systems. These are very complicated for drivers of foreign vehicles to comply with. Locals refuse to use these toll motorways, so they are very quiet. The company operating the toll motorways does not follow up payment collection from foreign car drivers, so the vast majority do not bother to go through the process of registering vehicle ownership and credit card details, which really is a lot of hassle. There is much opposition to the Algarve motorway tolls, even from local councils, as it has discouraged tourism and local trade. It is likely that a different system will be introduced soon, or they may be scrapped altogether. Conventional toll motorways in other parts of Portugal with cash/card payment machines and barriers, are simple to use and no more expensive than in Spain. Gas bottles for the California are sold everywhere and are about half the UK price. Probably the best Campsite in the Algarve is the Orbitur site at Espiche, near Lagos. The only other advice is to carefully observe all traffic regulations, as the police have targets to hit for traffic fines and if they find a reason to stop you, they will fine you for every possible thing! This is a consequence of Portugal's financial difficulties over the last few years. We've just flown home for a couple of weeks but will be there in March, and drive back to the UK in April. Have a great trip - you will love it!

We're not sure whether to head East (France/Italy) or West (Spain/Portugal) from Santander on our month off but I think Portugal is winning so far!

Head west young man! The Cantabrican mountains south east of Santander are beautiful - similar to Austria. The Picos de Europa area is particularly beautiful. I recommend a small town called Potes (co-incidentally, about 10km south of Panes!). If you then go west, you can visit the amazing Santiago de Compostela (the end of the Way of St James pilgrim's route). Then head south and down into Portugal. visiting Oporto, Coimbra, Obidos and Lisbon.
Then head down to the Algarve, via the wild west coast road, to the Algarve for some sun.
Contrary to what many people think, the Algarve is not all highrise hotels and tourists. The area west of Portimao across to Cap St Vincent in particular, is magnificent.
Anyway - wherever you go, have a great trip!

Hi. Portugal is a wonderful place to stay, we have stayed all over, and found all sites very friendly and well maintained. As mentioned in a previous post, get hold of a copy of the ACSI camping books. Also look for Orbitur sites, we stayed on one of these last year €9 yes €9 a night with full facilities for ten nights. We are presently in our T4 Cali in Southern Spain, for five weeks. We have been here for two weeks and the Gaz bottle still feels pretty full. Many sites sell the Gaz bottles you mentioned. (Unlike Spain)! Have a good time.

tim batten said:
Head west young man! The Cantabrican mountains south east of Santander are beautiful - similar to Austria. The Picos de Europa area is particularly beautiful. I recommend a small town called Potes (co-incidentally, about 10km south of Panes!). If you then go west, you can visit the amazing Santiago de Compostela (the end of the Way of St James pilgrim's route). Then head south and down into Portugal. visiting Oporto, Coimbra, Obidos and Lisbon.
Then head down to the Algarve, via the wild west coast road, to the Algarve for some sun.
Contrary to what many people think, the Algarve is not all highrise hotels and tourists. The area west of Portimao across to Cap St Vincent in particular, is magnificent.
Anyway - wherever you go, have a great trip!

Cheers! We did a bit of Northern Spain last year (did five weeks in Europe from Santander) so know a few bits and I've been to Portugal three times but not with the Cali.

We have young kids so don't want to spend too long driving but I reckon we'll head that way. Will do a bit of France as we love it (and speak the language) but maybe the bulk will be in Portugal!

Thanks again!