Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

portable sink idea for beach

Some good products on their site. Does it put any stress on the trim?
It's rather light so haven't had any issues so far. Just need to remind the kids not to lean on it or use it as a ladder. We keep it installed while driving.

You keep it installed while driving? That sounds dangerous. How securely is it attached (in the event of sharp braking or accident)?

We have the board and cooker mount from them, which are ace.

They' re pretty secure but we take them off when driving. I imagine you'd have to flip the van to get them to fall out, but I don't think it's worth the risk as it's only the weight and the friction with the aluminium channel that's stopping them sliding?

We have the board and cooker mount from them, which are ace.

They' re pretty secure but we take them off when driving. I imagine you'd have to flip the van to get them to fall out, but I don't think it's worth the risk as it's only the weight and the friction with the aluminium channel that's stopping them sliding?
Does the cooker mount have a let to support it?

No. It's steel and slots into the rail on the side. Seems stable enough for the stove and a kettle. I guess it may struggle with a cast iron casserole pot.

Hi this looks fab! Does the cooker mount hold a regular uk bought cooker or do you have to buy a cooker from them as well as the mount? Thanks

Thinking about buying this sink contraption as it’s the only negative for me with the beach (fearing the Ocean/beach debate).

looking at it made me think that it should be possible to fit a collapsing sink into the gas stove and hide water piping in the same way as gas is routed. Anyone else had this thought?
happy to cut a hole if I know it will work, but no idea if it’s feasible.

Or get one of these. Just take it out when you don’t need it:

Or get one of these. Just take it out when you don’t need it:
Thanks but I like the built in gas stove so something that works with it would be better. Will have a look at the original kit in the post, it’s primarily a tooth brush solution (which I know I am over-engineering).

Thanks but I like the built in gas stove so something that works with it would be better. Will have a look at the original kit in the post, it’s primarily a tooth brush solution (which I know I am over-engineering).
You would need also need to hide the fresh & waste water tanks somewhere.

You will get a lovely stain on the bench seat or a burnt leg if a pan boils over!

The built in cooker is pretty good, but I only use it for a kettle anyway.

The built in cooker is pretty good, but I only use it for a kettle anyway.
IMG_5515.png
So this sort of thing if using the stove but mostly just for an over engineered brushing of teeth

Why the portable cooking stove when you already have a natty factory pull out job? Being an ex Fire Officer, using either stove in a Beach would make me very nervous indeed. Not so bad if it's just yourself but throw in a couple of kids and a dog on a wet day and you would have a recipe for serious burns. I certainly wouldn't want anyone sitting with their legs under either stove whilst it's in operation. For that reason alone it's far better to keep the water heating and cooking well away from the occupants i.e outside.

Regarding the sink, if it works for you then fine. We just use a collapsible washing up bowl and a 10 litre water container, both of which live permanently on a pull out tray in the boot with our cooker and compressor fridge etc. Any grey water gets hurled in the nearest hedge, so no need for a second tank.

I have always felt that the interior needs to be kept as clear as possible for the occupants. Having all that space in a Beach is a major advantage. Why then fill it with un-necessary items?

Why the portable cooking stove when you already have a natty factory pull out job? Being an ex Fire Officer, using either stove in a Beach would make me very nervous indeed. Not so bad if it's just yourself but throw in a couple of kids and a dog on a wet day and you would have a recipe for serious burns. I certainly wouldn't want anyone sitting with their legs under either stove whilst it's in operation. For that reason alone it's far better to keep the water heating and cooking well away from the occupants i.e outside.

Regarding the sink, if it works for you then fine. We just use a collapsible washing up bowl and a 10 litre water container, both of which live permanently on a pull out tray in the boot with our cooker and compressor fridge etc. Any grey water gets hurled in the nearest hedge, so no need for a second tank.

I have always felt that the interior needs to be kept as clear as possible for the occupants. Having all that space in a Beach is a major advantage. Why then fill it with un-necessary items?
Just happened to be in the picture. Comments were only ever about the sink…

We have the sink unit now as well as the stove bracket and the cutting board, we use them all in our T6 Beach, so no built-in stove.

We use the sink when we're just away for the weekend (we have a Maxxcamp unit for longer stays), or maybe a longer stays off grid. The bottles don't sit underneath as neatly as it looks like they do in the 6.1, but one squeezes into the pocket and one gets strapped next to it. Works really well for brushing teeth, a.m. and p.m., washing hands, etc.

We use the cutting board on every trip, as an impromptu shelf during the day and at night.

Used the stove shelf a couple of times, mainly for our induction hob on short stays.

All well made, but pricey.

We have the sink unit now as well as the stove bracket and the cutting board, we use them all in our T6 Beach, so no built-in stove.

We use the sink when we're just away for the weekend (we have a Maxxcamp unit for longer stays), or maybe a longer stays off grid. The bottles don't sit underneath as neatly as it looks like they do in the 6.1, but one squeezes into the pocket and one gets strapped next to it. Works really well for brushing teeth, a.m. and p.m., washing hands, etc.

We use the cutting board on every trip, as an impromptu shelf during the day and at night.

Used the stove shelf a couple of times, mainly for our induction hob on short stays.

All well made, but pricey.
Thanks for the feedback. I have a 6.1 so think I will go for it. Price is the price in these things and given 99% of the time the van is running around with bikes in the back rather than a camper, it’s much cheaper than other larger options

Back