Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti

rich-s

rich-s

East Fleet Farm Touring Park - Weymouth
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Is there room for a Porta Potti (other portable toilets are available), between the bed and front row seats when in bed mode? Thinking about the 2 seater bench bed.

I have a thetford 335 which fits. I normally position mine in front of the swivelled passenger seat so lots of room.

They can also make a handy pouffe ... :D

I have a red nylon cover that fits over it exactly. Into the inside of this I have attached a cushion. I travel with the PP in the van, Modestly covered with it's red cover and nicely upholstered. When I'm stopped it's anything from a handy footrest to something to sit on whilst rummaging through the under-seat cupboard.

Hi Jen
Did you make the cover yourself?
I'm after one of these.

no, I ordered it off a supplier of nylon covers ...

http://www.bagsandcoversdirect.co.uk

Search on porta potty

I just taped a cushion on the underside of the top. Works brilliantly and of course being able to carry the toilet in the habitation area without it being noticeable when opening the side door makes it ... er.... a "convenience" when touring in lightly habited areas!

A couple of weeks ago french security at eurotunnel calais asked me to open the side door, and looking inside did question what I was carrying under the nice red cover. They found it hugely amusing when I explained that no one could hide in this ... pulling the top off!

I was quite flushed .... :oops: :oops:

Is it smelling at all if kept inside? (sorry for the straight question ;) )
Cheers
Andrzej

GrannyJen said:
A couple of weeks ago french security at eurotunnel calais asked me to open the side door, and looking inside did question what I was carrying under the nice red cover. They found it hugely amusing when I explained that no one could hide in this ... pulling the top off!

They have reasons to be worried, the Police I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERlkc_uzjU

The poor driver was forced to stop for a minute and 2 were already inside the lorry...

No. I've not noticed any adverse difference. I use either dometic tabs or persil bio and really no noticeable pong. Having said that it's emptied daily or worst case every other day. The cover is washable and quick drying.

The main problem with keeping it in the habitation area is to stop it sliding around, but then that's what bungee straps were invented for.

Andresz said:
[
They have reasons to be worried, the Police I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERlkc_uzjU

The poor driver was forced to stop for a minute and 2 were already inside the lorry...

Yes and I quite applaud the french police. I've been checked on almost every occasion, it only takes a few minutes, and has always ben carried out with a smile and pleasantness. I've found British immigration at Calais to be an almost invisible presence

That's what we do with ours, we have a cover decorated with anchors and things made by that great seamstress, Mrs Davidofhook. Good idea though to put a cushion in it. Might not work for us though as we use ours as a table for quick lunch stops. (With the cover on, of course!)
There is no smell.
One other point, we do not put a lot of water in our flush tank, if you do it gets very heavy to lift out. (I cannot remember how much it can holds but a gallon of water weighs 10 pounds, so 10 litres weighs about 20 lbs, too heavy) Excuse the maths.

10 litres weigh 10 kilo's :D

The other thing with a lot of water in the flush is that the flush filler cap does not fit flush.... full tank, lots of movement + wet vehicle :)

You are right grannyjen, 10kg's is actually 22lbs, but it is still too heavy for a young man like me to lift on a regular basis!

We too have experienced the dreaded minor leak In the van but didn't realize that it came from the filler cap so thanks for that.

I think that I would try another make next time...... if there is a next time! We have had this one for 12 years and it still works and they are not cheap.

I use an empty mineral water bottle to top mine up with. I normally carry 2L and 0.5L bottles and top up frequently and lightly, with just a dash of persil bio in it. A lot cheaper than the rip-off pink stuff and smells nicer as well, even if the cali does end up smelling like a mobile launderette.

Thanks again granny Jen. I just found that Qube on Amazon and ordered it. Since you said that Persil Bio worked for you I didn't get any of the chemicals. It sounds nice and small. Now I'll have a little wooden box made for it with a cushion on top and it should make a nice seat/hassock. :cool

Do you have experience with the new bio fold away toilet?

Hi all

Mrs Taff and I are desperate to get away anywhere for New Year’s Eve but sadly, our pub car park option has recently confirmed that no campers can now be accommodated being in Tier 3.

My question is whether our Qube is fit for a ‘major event’ should we just find a wild camping spot for the night that is available close to home?

Many thanks

Taff T

Hi all

Mrs Taff and I are desperate to get away anywhere for New Year’s Eve but sadly, our pub car park option has recently confirmed that no campers can now be accommodated being in Tier 3.

My question is whether our Qube is fit for a ‘major event’ should we just find a wild camping spot for the night that is available close to home?

Many thanks

Taff T

Just one night? Yeah, you will be find with the Qube. You know that the capacity of the lower and the upper is 11 litres each. So, if you fill in just one litre of water in the grey water tank and put in the grey chemicals, you will still have 10 litres of space in the grey tank. To conserve space, just do one flush before and as few as possible after.

There is a green/red tab in front of the Qube. Do keep a watch out and stop using it when it flips over to RED. You will be fine.

Happy new year adventures!

Just one night? Yeah, you will be find with the Qube. You know that the capacity of the lower and the upper is 11 litres each. So, if you fill in just one litre of water in the grey water tank and put in the grey chemicals, you will still have 10 litres of space in the grey tank. To conserve space, just do one flush before and as few as possible after.

There is a green/red tab in front of the Qube. Do keep a watch out and stop using it when it flips over to RED. You will be fine.

Happy new year adventures!
Many thanks for that kurienp ...that’s us off for the night then !

Happy New Year to you too!

no, I ordered it off a supplier of nylon covers ...

http://www.bagsandcoversdirect.co.uk

Search on porta potty

I just taped a cushion on the underside of the top. Works brilliantly and of course being able to carry the toilet in the habitation area without it being noticeable when opening the side door makes it ... er.... a "convenience" when touring in lightly habited areas!

Inspired by @GrannyJen I've just ordered a cover off https://www.bagsandcoversdirect.co.uk/view-product/Porta-Potti-Toilet-Cover

I contacted them and they offered to make it specifically to fit the 335 for the same price. They're planning on making it a stock option. I've provided some feedback as it's still a bit baggy (for give the pun). Not bad for under a tenner.

tempImageFkuB09.png

tempImagefG0uoB.png