Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta potti leak

onlyyoungtwice

onlyyoungtwice

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi everyone

So I had an issue with my porta potti today. It had been newly emptied and refilled when I (over?)enthusiastically pulled away on an uphill bend of a junction.. only to hear a loud sloshing sound behind me. I pulled in asap and found that the flush water had sloshed out of the reservoir. The cap that sits over the reservoir is just a loose catch, cannot understand why they didn’t make that a screw on?!

I’m now trying to tape down the cover on the reservoir refill point, and mopping up a wet (and now slightly blue) carpet.

I have the thing just behind the driver seat with the dunelm ottoman over it. Suffice to say this definitely put to bed for me the debate of whether it’s ok to have the potti in the kitchen cupboard!! Rather it sloshes on the carpet than inside the cupboards?!

Has anyone else had this problem or any fixes to recommend?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I’ll think about this

Here is a pic of the situation this aft

c059b57c846c465c35b2385a2e5d801b.jpg

Did you fill the reservoir to the top?
If so, you shouldn’t.
Agree though that the cap should screw on tight to seal it.

If so, you shouldn’t.

Not to the top, but I think too much still. Definitely will be filling less in future.

I also had a water carrier sat on top of the ottoman which fell and spilt haha

Hi everyone

So I had an issue with my porta potti today. It had been newly emptied and refilled when I (over?)enthusiastically pulled away on an uphill bend of a junction.. only to hear a loud sloshing sound behind me. I pulled in asap and found that the flush water had sloshed out of the reservoir. The cap that sits over the reservoir is just a loose catch, cannot understand why they didn’t make that a screw on?!

I’m now trying to tape down the cover on the reservoir refill point, and mopping up a wet (and now slightly blue) carpet.

I have the thing just behind the driver seat with the dunelm ottoman over it. Suffice to say this definitely put to bed for me the debate of whether it’s ok to have the potti in the kitchen cupboard!! Rather it sloshes on the carpet than inside the cupboards?!

Has anyone else had this problem or any fixes to recommend?

Thanks

Why is it blue? It should be pink fluid in the flush reservoir.

Not to the top, but I think too much still. Definitely will be filling less in future.

I also had a water carrier sat on top of the ottoman which fell and spilt haha

So was the California water tank OK?

So was the California water tank OK?

Yes the Cali water tank works ok. I prefer to have my drinking water in a separate container I can clean, but I might need to get over myself on that. The other plus is I don’t need to fill up quite as often.

I’m thinking about taking out the brandrup carpets (the guy I got the van from already had them installed) because they take days to dry when they get wet (and they’re constantly needing swept / hoovered when I’ve got hook up) so it just seems impractical. Might be better to have the hard floor which will be much quicker to wipe/sweep, with a small rug I can shake out or hang up to dry.

If so, you shouldn’t.
Air wouldn't get in when flushing with a sealed cap. Adding a vented cap or air inlet valve would add to cost.

But maybe a small breather hole?
Air needs to get in as fast as flush fluid goes out.
Simple diaphragm would do though.

I had the opposite issue years ago in a caravan loo when, after pitching up at altitude, opening the bottom tank hatch the sea level air pressure blew the urine etc pool out rather than it dropping down.
Always do a hatch open close before use ever since..

Back