Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top roof internal sliding cover

D

DH0702

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all - our sliding cover slides backwards as we drive. It's almost like a catch is missing. Has anyone got any handy fixes? Guessing it's a common problem. Thanks, DH

Fought this for a decade.

First I used folded (anything but usually parking) tickets where the original catch seemed to have worn away.
Then I used a blob of superglue that seemed to replace the worn-away bit of the catch.
Then after I refitted the brandrup isotop after a new tent had been fitted after the 'corrosion' fix, what seemed to be an increase in material (from the new tent and the repositioned isotop) stopped the cover from sliding back.
This latter fix seemed to work for a couple of years but the sliding is beginning to reappear.
Might need to put some new blobs of superglue back on I reckon.

I'm sure there's a simple permenant fix that I've overlooked so waiting in anticipation for it to appear on here.

Wedge 1/2 an old card in the edge (old membership card or credit card)

Business card folded in two works for me

50k+ van and people have to use bits of cardboard to keep the hatch closed just shows the poor quality

Cut some small pieces of self adhesive Velcro (soft side), slightly smaller than the slide runners.
stick them to the bottom runner, along the runners at various points including the front “catch“ area, the problem then disappears

06758A9C-825C-44C7-B5EB-F3F17B5C4C5F.jpeg

8FE4685A-B8B2-44A1-9F9A-23483CA71BB5.jpeg

Cut some small pieces of self adhesive Velcro (soft side), slightly smaller than the slide runners.
stick them to the bottom runner, along the runners at various points including the front “catch“ area, the problem then disappears

I'll second that. I managed to get some from a well known internet auction site in a beige/grey colour that matches the colour of the runner.

Pieces of velcro work. Another simple solution: don't fold the tent material too neatly, so that it is a bit 'bulky' when you close the hatch. That 'bulk' will keep it closed neatly. That is enough. A bit like what Barry is describing.
Also: folding material like what the tent is made of too neatly, always the same creases, isn't good for the material. It will wear at the repeated creases. Ask any sailor with Dacron sails... :)

Mine sometimes opens slightly but not always. Only about an inch at most.
Recent 900 mile trip it stayed closed, probably open in the next 15 mile run.

The hatch always slid open in our old van so we 'stored' a silicone spoon in the gap between the hatch and the bed - very effective. Present van hatch doesn't seem to slide open much, luckily.

View attachment 81645

View attachment 81646
This works for me too. I did it about 2 years ago after it stopped positively latching into place with a click. No problems since.
There are some similar soft-side velcro-type pieces on the flat bit of the runner towards the back just as it leaves the bed board that get worn over time. replacing or bolstering those helps too.

Pieces of velcro work. Another simple solution: don't fold the tent material too neatly, so that it is a bit 'bulky' when you close the hatch. That 'bulk' will keep it closed neatly. That is enough. A bit like what Barry is describing.
Also: folding material like what the tent is made of too neatly, always the same creases, isn't good for the material. It will wear at the repeated creases. Ask any sailor with Dacron sails... :)
”Dacron sails”….. that takes me back!

It does seem daft that VW haven’t solved this with a simple modification/catch.

I saw these in Poundland recently.

Anti skid & scratch pads various sizes self adhesive felt dots, 1 sheet of thin felt, small rubberised dots (34nr) and four large Rubberised Dots.
large dots would be ideal for awnings legs whilst stowed etc ( attach to the housing where the legs stow to prevent rattles)

I am yet to try any of these, but they may be ideal for the hatch and other potential rattles etc.

and yes they were £1 (which is unusual these days)

54891098-03AB-4FFD-8E52-F28EAD5B4413.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine does this too. When I’m bored, especially on long journeys, I reach up with my left hand put my fingers into the little groove in the middle of the shutter, it’s almost as if the groove is designed for it, and push forward with a small force. The shutter closes and I go back to spotting and waving at other California’s.

I saw these in Poundland recently.

Anti skid & scratch pads various sizes self adhesive felt dots, 1 sheet of thin felt, small rubberised dots (34nr) and four large Rubberised Dots.
large dots would be ideal for awnings legs whilst stowed etc ( attach to the housing where the legs stow to prevent rattles)

I am yet to try any of these, but they may be ideal for the hatch and other potential rattles etc.

and yes they were £1 (which is unusual these days)

View attachment 82471
I used a very similar combination of stuff to silence mine from rattling and to try and keep it shut. It silenced it, but wouldn't keep it shut. That is currently solved by an old membership card jammed in between the slider and the rail. Works a charm: silent and stays closed.

Back