Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top clunks when first opened

CaliforniaPhil

CaliforniaPhil

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
T6.1 Ocean, Since my van has had the bellows replaced, it has developed a clunk or cracking noise when I raise the roof. Only one clunky when the roof first lifts away from the van. Sounds like it's coming from the back, near side.

Any ideas?

T6.1 Ocean, Since my van has had the bellows replaced, it has developed a clunk or cracking noise when I raise the roof. Only one clunky when the roof first lifts away from the van. Sounds like it's coming from the back, near side.

Any ideas?
Make sure the bodywork where the elevating roof seal sits is clean and waxed so the seal doesn’t stick. Make sure the rubber stops/pads are still in place. All bolts tight etc.
452875200.png

Make sure the bodywork where the elevating roof seal sits is clean and waxed so the seal doesn’t stick. Make sure the rubber stops/pads are still in place. All bolts tight etc.
452875200.png
Thanks, will take a look. I noticed the part 5 is on the driver's side but not on the near side. I'll see if I can feel where it's coming from, we are away for 2 weeks, moving most nights, so will see how it goes.

You need the part 5. It's a plastic clip that stops metal hitting metal when opening/closing the roof.
It's a very small part and won't cost you much. Easy to install yourself too, so no need for an appointment. Just go to the parts shop of any VW garage and buy it there.

Thanks guys

Investing it, I put a couple of layers of rattle tape in place of the plastic bit (5). When I closed the top it sat up at the front end. When opened, the tape had a cut in it. Long story short, the grey plastic bit on the poptop hooks under the metal stay (the part 5 stops rattles as it's on the edge that goes past the grey bit). The reason the poptop was sitting up, is the broken clip was wedged under the roof hinge. The grey hook part on the roof was too far forward, it looks like it hit part 5 and broke it. The clunk on opening was when it came past the stay. I have moved the grey hook back around 1mm and all seems ok.

Poptop roof hook

20240416_113554.jpg

20240416_113146.jpg

20240416_113115.jpg

Yes thanks, seems ok, no clunks on opening and shutting ok, was worried yesterday as just started the NC500. You can see the scrapes on the roof grey hook part from the roof mechanism. It might have been that part stopping the roof closing as well. I only moved it about 1mm. Will talk to Peterborough VW when it goes back in for it's post 9/11 bellows.

Penny has dropped with me. Mine has always clunked and I once found that broken clip not knowing what it was. Does anyone know the part number?

Penny has dropped with me. Mine has always clunked and I once found that broken clip not knowing what it was. Does anyone know the part number?
Should be 7H7 067 071.
Easy to install yourself, but first you'd better adjust the hook on the roof before installing the end piece.
A small hexagon (2?).

Hi, what do you use to wax the bodywork? Presumably it doesn’t cause the rubber to perish?

Hi, what do you use to wax the bodywork? Presumably it doesn’t cause the rubber to perish?
Any quality car wax. Personally I now use this.

Any quality car wax. Personally I now use this.

Not a wax was but I've always used Autoglym vinyl and rubber care on seals. It stopped my car doors making a creaking noise on the rubber seals when the body flexed over bumps. Might be good for the Cali.61TWgpvGC3L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg

There must be an adjustment for this piece, a dimension along the track. I put a piece of tape on the runner, so I could see where it was originally before I moved it.

That's one big bottle of Autoglym!

Not a wax was but I've always used Autoglym vinyl and rubber care on seals. It stopped my car doors making a creaking noise on the rubber seals when the body flexed over bumps. Might be good for the Cali.View attachment 122333
That will work well on door seals etc as there is movement , but in case of the roof, once down and locked then there should be no roof movement, but the problem is if the body work which the seal sits on is not kept clean , eg: tree sap , then the seal can stick to the roof .
Using the above product on the roof seal will condition it but possibly not stop it sticking to the roof.

Thanks all, so maybe best to do ceramic spray on the paintwork and autoglym on the roof seal..