Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop Roof and Rain

Custardtart

Custardtart

Hi

I have had a Cali Beach for a while now - use it mostly as a very spacious people mover (7 seater) but am about spend my first overnighter in it on a trip to Snowdonia.

Has anybody got any guidance/advice for me if (when) it rains:

- is the bellows waterproof?

- am I likely to get water in the van and if so how do you stop it staining/turning mouldy?

- if I have to put the roof down in the rain (ie with wet bellows), will the mattress get soaked and if so how do you avoid mould/mildew and stains setting in?

Lots of beginner questions!

Mmmm - does that mean I'm in trouble this weekend without a topper?

No not really. The canvas is waterproof to a point only problem is if it gets wet and you touch it from the inside it will draw the moisture through,if it does get wet and you have to close it make sure you open it up at the next convenient time it won't take long to dry out :thumb and enjoy your weekend :thumb

probably safe to assume it will be pretty cold so you will have the heater on in the vehicle, plus on your return back home. I reckon this in itself will probably dry it out a fair bit if it gets wet. there will also bit a bit of wind to help too so i wouldn't be too concerned.

all of the above ...mine took a big down pour of rain and looked wet ,but didn't leak ...i did put it down wet and put it back up the next day to dry out.... didn't take long to dry and my matress if it did get wet dried out as well :thumb

Thanks everyone.

Probably look to get a cali topper in the future but should be ok for this weekend then.

Yes you're be fine enjoy and report back with details :thumb :thumb

Just a point . . . .

Does the Beach have the same size / design of roof as the California with the power elevating roof?? I'm not sure . . .

I assumed it was the same, just not motorized.

Hopefully somebody in the know will come along to confirm....

Well the weekend was great - very windy with a little rain early on and then dry. No leaks. :D

I will get a cover - probably Cali-topper - before the next outing to be on the safe side.

Despite freezing temps and 3 people in the van there wasn't a drop of condensation. I guess it's down to the vents in the bellows and the gale-force wind. I'm not sure if the bellows are breathable.

I see the cali-topper is PVC backed and I can't see any vents. Does it increase condensation?

Hi, I have the Khyam Cozi Kamper which worked a treat at keeping things dry this last weekend, however, condensation was a problem on all of the windows. My previous trip was with no topper and like you I had almost no condensation.