Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

POLL Cookery videos and tv programmes.

If you watch cookery programmes or videos online do you...

• Watch them to try the recipes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Watch them, only occasionally try recipes

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Watch them and never try to make the recipe.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just enjoy looking at food, I dont do anything with the info.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
For those who enjoy cookery programmes, especially those with recipes shared, I'm curious why people watch and what they do afterwards.

Do you just enjoy watching people cook nice food but aren't interested in cooking those recipes, do you watch to try the food yourself, or to get ideas for your own cookery?

I did mention in an earlier thread an idea for a campervan cookery campervancookout.com website, good recipes that can be cooked with a gas ring or two. I'm just keen on a bit of feedback from those who watch these kind of videos and the reasons why they watch them.

I'm working on the site which is almost ready to go live, we are just working on a few more recipes and videos before we launch it. As we are about to enter a phase of creating internet videos, I was keen to know why people watched such things and what they like to see.

Some of the feedback we have had so far is people like a video, they also want a text version they can follow along on a mobile device if possible.

I don't watch any cookery shows Matt but if I were cooking something new I would always follow from written text. Old school I guess: ingredients, equipment ,preparation and a step by step guide on how to put it all together. I find on videos people go at the speed they are used to when demonstrating something often missing out on things that are unimportant to them but may well be vital from a complete novice POV. Good luck with the website. I will certainly take a look.

Matt - great idea and I look forward to seeing it! And of course using the recipes. I'm a big fan of videos, I love cooking and for me to literally see how a dish is put together can be (if the vid is done well - see Jamie Oliver) both very helpful in getting the dish right and can actually inspire me to do it.

Incidentally I have a super easy super tasty (as long as you like sardines and anchovies) one ring recipe if you're looking for contributions

Good luck with it!

Ian

Hi Matt - Always keen to support creative endeavours so here goes :)

Just voted on your poll.

From our perspective, we love food. But when it comes to cooking ourselves, we've often found that we're drawn to those who are able to get across the ability to create great dishes from a relatively simple set of ingredients.
When we watch people like Nigel Slater, for example, we're always amazed by how inviting the end product looks, given the lack of complexity.
So in answer to your question, yes definitely, videos are great for us and we'd be keen to develop a repertoire of excellent dishes via our camper van. But it's always great to be able to have a text version of a recipe to hand, especially where you need a list to take to the supermarket :cool:

Hope that helps, and good luck with the launch.

P

Hi Matt - Always keen to support creative endeavours so here goes :)

Just voted on your poll.

From our perspective, we love food. But when it comes to cooking ourselves, we've often found that we're drawn to those who are able to get across the ability to create great dishes from a relatively simple set of ingredients.
When we watch people like Nigel Slater, for example, we're always amazed by how inviting the end product looks, given the lack of complexity.
So in answer to your question, yes definitely, videos are great for us and we'd be keen to develop a repertoire of excellent dishes via our camper van. But it's always great to be able to have a text version of a recipe to hand, especially where you need a list to take to the supermarket :cool:

Hope that helps, and good luck with the launch.

P
Nigel Slater - my kind of tv :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea, doubly so as an app with a downloadable selection of recipes to avoid roaming charges. Triply so if you make the recipes local so we can go to local markets to source the relevant ingredients. Spent far too long in the central market in Santander last summer, would have been lovely to have some local recipes to buy for.

I occasionally watch videos, but a list of ingredients, method and a decent pic of the finished article are all more important.

Also, a menu structure that allows you to select recipes based upon whatever main ingredients you have in the van would be also be great, albeit a bit harder to code.

Matt - grand idea. It would be great to have more tasty ideas about good meals to cook in the van. We watch a lot of the cookery programmes that are on TV for inspiration but we tend to follow traditional style recipes from cookery books when having a bash at a new meal. A video with a text recipe to accompany it would be ideal. Good luck with your project.

For Cali style one pot cooking the Hairy Bikers do some quite simple but inspirational food from around the world. The chicken and egg recipes from their last series were mostly cooked outside on a 2 burner gas hob or BBQ, although the nigh on £275 casserole dish was a bit excessive.

Matt, good luck with your venture.

We watch TV cookery programs but would never watch a video if we were cooking a dish. So the programs give inspiration as do menus while we're abroad (although after the wine it's hard to remember what had interested us the next day).

If we're doing a specific dish it's out with the recipe either form the existing stack of books or print outs or print out a new one. Some sites are much better at formatting recipes for printing than others. I think Jamie's site is pretty good and from memory the beeb is as well. This actually matters more than a video in our opinion.

Having said that about printed recipes vs videos I have to add that we're of the Interweb age but not the YouTube/Facebook age, so maybe younger social media types would turn to videos.

Back