Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plug in solar panels

J

John Caunce

Cauncey
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi guys,

To help keep my battery alive for a few days off grid, I’ve been considering a small solar panel that plugs into the 12v socket. Does anyone know if these are ok charging through the 12v socket and if they’re any good?

Thanks

John

Also considering this to charge batteries during winter
Looking for assurance that it works and doesnt damage anything
How did you get on ?

I tried one a couple of years ago. Bought it from Aldi. Didn’t work at all. I think it was £25 but not sure. It’s possible a larger one may work better.

Also considering this to charge batteries during winter
Looking for assurance that it works and doesnt damage anything
How did you get on ?
Are you unable to leave the vehicle on Hookup over winter?

You can get a 300 w panel and a controller for 35 pounds... and comes with a plug to put in rear 12v socket. My school boy physics tells me on a sunny day this will give up to 25A !!
BUT
>>Will keep leisure batteries topped up during winter.. and maybe engine battery on T6 ??
>>Will it above all else not damage the vehicle electrics and electronics ??

[Searched Cali Forum - cant find definitive answers ... just snippets. Or is it me ? ]

You can get a 300 w panel and a controller for 35 pounds... and comes with a plug to put in rear 12v socket. My school boy physics tells me on a sunny day this will give up to 25A !!
BUT
>>Will keep leisure batteries topped up during winter.. and maybe engine battery on T6 ??

[Searched Cali Forum - cant find definitive answers ... just snippets. Or is it me ? ]
A 300Watt panel and MPPT charge controller is likely to add up to about £500. The panel will cover most of the roof on the Cali. If that is what you plan to use, it will be more than adequate to keep the batteries topped up and will go a long way to provide additional off-grid power over and above keeping the batteries topped up. You will need a twin battery charge controller that charges both the starter battery and the leisure battery(s). Otherwise, a 100watt panel should be adequate for keeping the batteries topped up through winter.

BUT

Are you sure this is correct? a 300w panel and controller for £35. Seems very cheap. Where did you see this advertised?

Your biggest problem is UK sun or the lack of it. 100watt panel on a good day this time of the year the angle of the sun may give you 1/3amps for a few hours - in summer 3/5amps maybe subject to nothing blocking the sun on the panel. The next thing is the controller must be MPPT and do not buy cheap.
You state "normally plug in every 2/3 weeks" this will be the best way to do it in UK as cannot be sure you will get enough sun for solar.

BUT

Can you point me in that direction, as never seen them for that price.

BUT

Sorry, but there is no lighter socket that can handle 25amps........

Last edited:
On Ebay they advertise 1000W panels for around £45. That’s total rubbish and I certainly wouldn’t trust connecting one of these to a £50-£60-£70k Camper van. The most you will get for the plugin cigarette charger type is 25w and I’ve tried one and they are next to useless.

More powerful ones also available. Milenco being optimum.

Not certain on connection method required as the dash socket powers off/disconnects after a period of time. Might need wiring a new socket into a live feed??

Thanks for all the feedback chaps. It seemed such an easy solution to plugging the van in every few weeks. Thought it could be could be used off grid as well in the summer - all for under 50 pounds.

I'm a dreamer I know

In summary for anyone else who is tempted
- 12v socket is not the way to charge the 12v leisure batteries - need to wire it in
- the cheap panels and controllers on ebay are not up to the job
- MPPT controller required
- Dont buy cheap

Thanks for all the feedback chaps. It seemed such an easy solution to plugging the van in every few weeks. Thought it could be could be used off grid as well in the summer - all for under 50 pounds.

I'm a dreamer I know

- 12v socket is not the way to charge the 12v leisure batteries - need to wire it in
- Dont buy cheap
Have a look not cheap, but will do everything you need:

I have the panel on my roof (fitted myself in about 2 hours) and on good days 10.1amps and on terrible days 1/2amps (full cloud cover)

I'm a dreamer I know

- Dont buy cheap
Should be possible to Solar charge the Leisure batteries via rear 'lighter' sockets with, as you say proper kit, by using a unit such as this (on site or if secure off road home parking

Should be possible to Solar charge the Leisure batteries via rear 'lighter' sockets with, as you say proper kit, by using a unit such as this (on site or if secure off road home parking

With that thing, you might be very lucky in the UK and get 0.01amps on a very good day from the sun. £141.00 for a door stop..........

With that thing, you might be very lucky in the UK and get 0.01amps on a very good day from the sun. £141.00 for a door stop..........
This is the same type to the one I bought in Aldi a couple of years ago for £25. Took it back after trying it for 2 months. Totally useless.
At least it didn’t cost me £141.

Been following this and can offer my experience of solar dashboard chargers. Used one on car parked at airport, outside, for two weeks summer hols. as a precaution some time ago now. Remember flying abroad for holidays ? Sigh !!!
Anyway , came back and needed a jump start! Never had any problems with battery and can only assume it put charge in when daylight and took charge out at night . Threw it away , waste of time and money. I guess an expensive large array would work but the budget halfords aldi or b&q ones are toys ..
Back to looking for the ‘current’ required
‘Booster’ ……let’s hope it’s not as useless ………

I found that with a 100w panel behind the glass would not produce more than 16w due to the attenuation from the glass but that is fine to keep the starter battery ok as long as it was south facing. leaving the panel on the outside was risky due to the risk of theft.

Interesting as you are saying that Optimate products are "door stops"

Hit would be nice to hear from someone who has found them successful and exactly what make and model it was. I just know that the cheaper version I tried just didn’t work. Maybe the optiMate might work although they are quite expensive for what you get. I’m in the fortunate position of having mains power close at hand and give it a boost every few weeks or when I can see the batteries are down.

Sorry, there is no way a small panel left on the dash will charge a battery. There will always be some sort of parasitic battery drain, therefore unless the solar panel can stay in the sun all day at the right angle at best for 2/3 hours you might get an amp or two. In the UK at this time of the year just not going to work.
Even with a 200watt roof panel, 2/3 hours might give you 2/4 amps.

If you hear from someone who has found them to work, I will be interested what power they provided.

Sorry, there is no way a small panel left on the dash will charge a battery. There will always be some sort of parasitic battery drain, therefore unless the solar panel can stay in the sun all day at the right angle at best for 2/3 hours you might get an amp or two. In the UK at this time of the year just not going to work.
Even with a 200watt roof panel, 2/3 hours might give you 2/4 amps.

If you hear from someone who has found them to work, I will be interested what power they provided.
You are right, they just don’t work on 2 x 80amp leisure batteries. Probably keep my 10 amp bike battery topped up but that’s easy enough keeping it permanently plugged into an optimiser. My advice would be just don’t waste your money on one of these things. If you can plug it into the mains for 24 hours every 3-4 weeks.

Back