Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Plastic cover on back of bench seat cracked.

G

guytillotson

Hi,

The plastic cover on the back of our bench seat is cracked. I would like to remove it - I presume it is not structural. There are some allen key screws that are made of plastic that look rather fragile and prone to rounding off! Has anyone removed theirs?

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

To remove the seat trim you need to take out the plastic screws you mentioned, these are like plastic screw and rawl plugs, you need to remove the centre part either with an allen key or a lever/forted trim tool, once these are out it is just a matter of pulling the trim off, there are trim clips all down the sides, it does not matter if you break the trim you are replacing it after all.

hope this helps, but if you get stuck if you are in west sussex pop in and I will give you a hand.

VW Campersales

A lot of the plastic 'screws' used for trim don't have a helical screw thread so 'unscrewing' with an allen key doesn't achieve anything, they just spin. If this is the case with these seat back ones and they don't lever out easily then I've found a self tapping screw screwed a couple of turns into the plastic plug center gives better purchase to pull out with pliers or small mole grip. The small hole left is usually less visible than a chewed up plug. (or get some new plugs at the same time as buying the trim).

You also need to remove the plastic seatbelt surrounds on the top of the seat. Under these there are clips which needs releasing to get the seat back off.
New backs are about £90 BTW.

Back