Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Placing net and mattress to maximise boot space

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have a T6 Ocean with the comfort mattress. I some times would like to place them in the boot in a way that maximises the space available for luggage and stuff.
I don’t like to place loads of heavy stuff on top of the mattress.

what are your best suggested layouts ?

I’d have net on bottom and mattress upright against the seat if I’d manage to keep it in position...

All bedding pillows/ blankets mattress toppers etc get stacked on the rear shelf.
Leaves under the shelf as storage, which we use as our wardrobe.

557EB159-9A20-4818-BE92-E9F9FDA4AED2_1_201_a.jpeg0B0F6F22-7837-408D-A169-4BAADC908983.jpeg

Reactions: X77
Good morning,

If the weather is nice the setup of the California for the night and on the next morning is not that bad.

During our last trip the weather wasn't that nice with a lot of rain and I must admit I was a bit unhappy about the setup workflow.

Because of this I try as it was mentioned from Edocali to keep the "fold out" part of the matraze upright against the seat. I don't assume it will create more space, but will help for the setup workflow, because now it is not nesseccary to move everything of the matraze befor it can be folded flat for the night.

I hope I will find something that will help to hold the matraze upgright. I tried some rubber cords, but that doesn't work out in the way I wanted (to fidely).

Happy Calinfornia,
Eberhard

Thanks all, still I’d like to keep most of the bedding squashed inside the wardrobe, keeping clothing stored in bags and keep a cavernous boot. ...

All bedding pillows/ blankets mattress toppers etc get stacked on the rear shelf.
Leaves under the shelf as storage, which we use as our wardrobe.

View attachment 63978View attachment 63979
That system you have looks amazing. Is this a system you bought complete with boxes and the pull out mechanism and is it designed to fit into a California? If so could you give details. We have the same bike rack so looks like it works well.
Thanks Garry

Good morning,

If the weather is nice the setup of the California for the night and on the next morning is not that bad.

During our last trip the weather wasn't that nice with a lot of rain and I must admit I was a bit unhappy about the setup workflow.

Because of this I try as it was mentioned from Edocali to keep the "fold out" part of the matraze upright against the seat. I don't assume it will create more space, but will help for the setup workflow, because now it is not nesseccary to move everything of the matraze befor it can be folded flat for the night.

I hope I will find something that will help to hold the matraze upgright. I tried some rubber cords, but that doesn't work out in the way I wanted (to fidely).

Happy Calinfornia,
Eberhard
Hello

This is an excellent idea if I have understood it correctly!

We have Brandrup Ixtent mattress but need our Duvalay mattress on top also, therefore packed as we do currently with duvalay on top of mattress in boot, plus pillows and bedding, it means at night I have to lift off duvalay to be able to spread mattress if that makes sense!

Ixtend mattress has loops to clip to back headrests, see picture, could you add these to your mattress?

Gill

20FE587D-AAA1-48EA-82AA-37D36022DBBC.png

Leave mattress and bed at home, sleep upstairs

Good morning,

Happy Calinfornia,
Eberhard
How about some sort of strong Velcro attachment?

Hello,

I will have another look in the next days. We have one rain shower after the other at the moment. I don't want to mess with the matraze and bed covers in the rain.

Happy California,
Eberhard

Sometimes you need stealth... so sleeping downstairs is the way
We normally sleep upstairs but are soon to go to a site on the Pembrokeshire coast where we’ve previously witnessed very well pitched tents and awnings ripped off and just tossed in to the sea, and everyone’s poptops firmly clamped down. They even have a “storm hut“, a big communal shed where you can safely hunker down if you need to.

This will be our first time there in the Cali so we’ve got extra storm straps for the driveaway and are making contingency plans to sleep downstairs.

I'm guessing your system is something like:
Red- MrSoulStyleDevon
Green- MrsSoulStyleDevon
Blue- JuniorSoulStyleDevon ?
Has Mrs OG11 seen this post? Love it!

No, but it's a running joke on every trip. One day I'll start a thread asking which roofbox is best for shoe storage.
If you don’t have need for a bike rack, maybe you could fit one of these?F8195550-99CF-42BA-9F53-22D1CFE706FF.jpeg

Back