Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pipe Carrier for fishing rods

R

robo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Has anyone tried to attach a pipe carrier to the spare awning rail.
I'd like to fit one to carry my fishing rods.

Would it be safe to fix one on?

rob

If you could find a reliable way to fit it then I see no great issue with it. It must be quite strong as the awning on the other side must pull quite heavily.

The awning is fixed into the roof via a couple of brackets and is not attached to the awning Rail channel.

I would probably go for roof bars and then fit the rod tube to them :thumb

robo said:
Has anyone tried to attach a pipe carrier to the spare awning rail.
I'd like to fit one to carry my fishing rods.

Would it be safe to fix one on?

rob
I'd be really interested to see how to get on with this. I've got my fishing gear inside and worried someone will tread on them!

I thought about using a pipe carrier thing for my spinning/ plugging rods across the rear cycle rack ( theyre only 8 ft ,2 piece rods). I am looking for something that locks though as I don't want them pinched!

I can see why the spare awning rail wouldn't be strong enough. The pull from a drive away awning on a windy night would be pretty strong. A fairly aerodynamic plastic tube full of carbon rods shouldn't put more force on them. I guess they're bolted to the van somehow, not just glued on.

Keep us updated...

Burko

The brackets look like the job. I don't think the drilled holes are available to fix them though. I'll take a look.
rob

Unfortunately there are no fixing points built into the van on the left hand side. So its not as simple as using awning brackets.

rob

robo said:
Unfortunately there are no fixing points built into the van on the left hand side. So its not as simple as using awning brackets.

rob

If you have the black rail strip down the other side like I have you could just get the omnistar awning brackets that ate used on the Vw awnings and then they would match and we know they fit :)

You could always remove the blanking panel at the front of the rear seat near the fridge and put the rods in from the rear - at least they'd be up against the cupboard and relatively out of the way then.

Thanks for your help, sounds possible. Have you got a link to the part I need form omnistor. I have had a look at there site and cannot find it.

rob

There is a parts list in the download section password is in the winchester club :thumb

Further research about the standard awning brackets that come with the vehicle.
Yes you can purchase another set but they only fit on the right hand side.
So a dead end.