Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Petrol Series 6 CALIFORNIA

zennorboy

zennorboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Evening….a friend has been offered a ‘67 plate California 6 through our local main agent with a (rare?) petrol engine. To be honest, I didn’t realise that VW had produced a petrol ‘6’. Having been asked my opinion on said beast I’m stumped as to what to advise. The vehicle only has approximately 12,000 miles on the clock…perhaps that’s because of the petrol consumption!

I would welcome any advice experience or views on this subject.

Trevor

No experience personally but I found this thread which may be of interest. I also wonder whether the absence of diesel means there is no on board heater?

No experience personally but I found this thread which may be of interest. I also wonder whether the absence of diesel means there is no on board heater?

Apparently there’s a petrol fuelled heater

I suspect if anticipated mileage isn’t high and given the price gap between derv and petrol the running costs might not be as extreme

Apparently there’s a petrol fuelled heater

I suspect if anticipated mileage isn’t high and given the price gap between derv and petrol the running costs might not be as extreme
Compared to a diesel that is

The new Multivan, replacement for the Caravelle, comes in Petrol and Petrol/ hybrid versions.

I would imagine fuel consumption is going to be in the Mid 20s. On a run.

Evening….a friend has been offered a ‘67 plate California 6 through our local main agent with a (rare?) petrol engine. To be honest, I didn’t realise that VW had produced a petrol ‘6’. Having been asked my opinion on said beast I’m stumped as to what to advise. The vehicle only has approximately 12,000 miles on the clock…perhaps that’s because of the petrol consumption!

Trevor
Probably the T6 forum would have more information

Advantages = No DPF so short journeys aren't a problem, No Adblue, No Webasto engine heater as petrol engines warm up faster.
Disadvantages = Less economical , about 5mpg less, less low down torque.

No charges for Low Emissions Zones.

Trevor
Sounds like a nice vehicle, wyouldnthat be a 3.2 V6 petrol as was in the Golf R32

Sounds like a nice vehicle, wyouldnthat be a 3.2 V6 petrol as was in the Golf R32
It'll be the 2.0T 4-pot that's in a load of VAG vehicles. I had one in my old car and have driven several others; they are seriously flexible and powerful engines. Torque; less in it than you'd think, at least compared with the 150 diesel. Turbo lag is almost non-existent too on the petrol 2.0T.

It'll be the 2.0T 4-pot that's in a load of VAG vehicles. I had one in my old car and have driven several others; they are seriously flexible and powerful engines. Torque; less in it than you'd think, at least compared with the 150 diesel. Turbo lag is almost non-existent too on the petrol 2.0T.
Sorry I thought they said V6 in the original post?

For those that don't worry about the petrol consumption the TSi can be remapped to 300PS from standard 204.

250PS seems to be the normal upgrade spec level. Torque benefit also.

I have a 204 petrol Cali, 2018. It has a very nice Eberspacher parking heater. I get low 30s MPG on a motorway run, happy to get 30 when fully loaded and bikes on back. I don't do enough miles to care about what is probably only a few quid more per year on fuel. It's not as if a diesel is hyper efficient anyway. It's a very fun drive, especially at the top end and it's great to drop a few unsuspecting boy racers when needed. Good for the short trips and emission zones.

Have it remapped to 300PS and frighten yourself.

I’d love to have a petrol Cali! The EA888 is a gem of an engine.

Yeah I would be very happy to switch to a petrol too. A future classic??

Back