Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Personal Export Scheme

L

Lightning

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Is this a potential new way of avoiding VAT on a new California?

2.1 The Personal Export Scheme
The Personal Export Scheme (PES) allows entitled customers to buy a motor vehicle in the UK free of VAT for export outside the UK. Subject to some restrictions, the vehicle can be used for a limited period in the UK before it’s exported.

Warning: it may be difficult to import motor vehicles into some countries. If you’re thinking of buying a vehicle under the scheme, you should check with the relevant Embassy or High Commission in the UK because additional restrictions, paperwork and costs may apply.

2.2 Who can buy a vehicle under the scheme​

The scheme can be used by:

(a) overseas visitors who have not been in the UK for more than either:

• 365 days in the 2 years before the date when they apply to use the scheme
  • 1,095 days in the 6 years before the date when they apply to use the scheme
  • who intend to leave, and stay outside, the UK with the motor vehicle for at least 6 months
(b) UK residents who intend to leave, and stay outside, the UK with the motor vehicle for at least 6 months

2.3 The type of vehicle you can supply under the scheme​

The scheme can be used to supply a new or used:

• motor vehicle
  • motorcycle
  • motor caravan

Previously this could be of advantage if you wanted to have an extended (six months plus) trip to New Zealand or Australia however now we are not in the EU perhaps the same option exists to take a Motorhome to Europe for 6 Months plus taking into account the 90/180 Days rules etc.

Personal Export Scheme (VAT Notice 707) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Informative
Reactions: Sad
This bit about the vehicle leaving the EU is a bit confusing,
the site was updated 31st Dec 2020.
I would have thought that the European Union would have been
changed to UK, but it hasn't ------

11. Format for certificate for urgent delivery​

Certificate for urgent delivery.

Applicant’s details:

Name: ……………………………………………..……
Invoice no: ……………………

Address: ……………………………..……………………………………… ………………………………………………………………………………… ………………………………………………………………………………… …………………………………………………………………………………. ………………………………………………………………………………….
Postcode: ………………

Vehicle details:

Make: …………………………………..
Model: ………………………………….
Chassis number: ……………………
Registration number: ………………

I hereby certify that I have this day personally interviewed…………………(name of applicant) who assures me that they have not applied for or acquired a VAT free motor vehicle under the Personal Export Scheme, as described in Notice 707, within the last 6 months.

I’ve also inspected their passport number, …………….., issued by ……………(name of authority) and the following documents: (for example details of car ferry tickets, overseas residence permit, return tickets, confirmatory letters or such evidence as was seen)……………………………………………………………………………………….…………………………………………………………………………………………..

I have no reason to doubt their status as an overseas visitor/entitled UK resident (delete as appropriate) or their declared intention to leave the European Union with the vehicle on (date)…… …(this date must not be later than one month from the date of application) and to remain abroad with the vehicle for at least 6 consecutive months.

Wouldn't you still be on the hook to pay tax in the country where the vehicle is registered outside the UK?

Back