Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Passenger Side Water Ingress

VW1Camp

VW1Camp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Morning

I have a 2021 T6.1 and I’m getting a wet carpet in the passenger footwell and between the front seats. The Passenger carpet is soaked.

Our Cali is less than a week old and hasn’t been out in the rain

Still under warranty but any advice as to where this might be coming from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance…

Tricky one if not been out in the rain, also there has not been much rain. Is their a leaking water bottle in one of the storage compartments? Still under warranty you say, sounds like a visit to the dealer on Monday.

Morning

I have a 2021 T6.1 and I’m getting a wet carpet in the passenger footwell and between the front seats. The Passenger carpet is soaked.

Still under warranty but any advice as to where this might be coming from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance…
You might have not had it out in the rain, but since it left the factory to arriving at the Dealership it has been outside, except for its time on board the ship.
So common points of water in are;
Windscreen seal
Front passenger side roof drain
Passenger door seals
Passenger door glass seal and door card plastic water deflector.

Defo, back to dealer ASAP. No quibbles. If it were me I would be in mind to reject the vehicle and walk away from it. (if it's not self inflicted - water bottle etc).

Morning

Thanks in advance…
Could be Air conditioning pipe leak not sure if the drain runs in that direction

Thanks all for you feedback, I’m away in it for 2 weeks but it will definitely be going back to the dealer. I had thought with Zero knowledge of VW it might be Air Conditioning related as I’ve seen that before on another brand. I’ll be sure you let you know once we get to the bottom of it. David

Just a quick update.

It’s booked in for when we are home The water is definitely coming from under the dash, passenger side. We have managed to fit a bowl underneath to catch the water but it’s only happening when we are driving, as long as we stop and empty the bowl every hour or so we are sort of OK for now…

The water if very cold, crystal clear and just tastes like cold water, I’m now convinced it’s from the A/C.

I’ll let you know what VW find in due course.

David

Just a quick update.

It’s booked in for when we are home The water is definitely coming from under the dash, passenger side. We have managed to fit a bowl underneath to catch the water but it’s only happening when we are driving, as long as we stop and empty the bowl every hour or so we are sort of OK for now…

The water if very cold, crystal clear and just tastes like cold water, I’m now convinced it’s from the A/C.

David
David,
please do not taste the water, if it’s from A/c it will be riddled with bacteria

Just a quick update.

David
Have a look at the engine compartment bulkhead. There are some black rubber drains from the water box. They are, I believe, supposed to open when the level in the box rises. On my 2012 one drain was blocked by a dead fly. You can pinch them to open the soft rubber valve and drain it manually.

Just a quick update.

David
Turn the aircon off then try

A further update...

My 2021 California Ocean went into Brian Currie VW in Milton Keynes on Tuesday to investigate the water ingress.

It appears that whatever is supposed to take the condensation away from the air conditioning hasn't been fitted to my California from the factory!!! Usually you would see a pool of water under your vehicle on a hot day, this is condensation from the Air Conditioning, my condensation goes into the passenger footwell and then gradually spreads around the whole cabin. A small bowl of water ever hour or so!

We have the vehicle back while we await parts and a call from Brian Currie VW to have the issue fixed, fingers crossed!

I'll update when I get a call.

Thanks
David

A further update...

My 2021 California Ocean went into Brian Currie VW in Milton Keynes on Tuesday to investigate the water ingress.

It appears that whatever is supposed to take the condensation away from the air conditioning hasn't been fitted to my California from the factory!!! Usually you would see a pool of water under your vehicle on a hot day, this is condensation from the Air Conditioning, my condensation goes into the passenger footwell and then gradually spreads around the whole cabin. A small bowl of water ever hour or so!

We have the vehicle back while we await parts and a call from Brian Currie VW to have the issue fixed, fingers crossed!

I'll update when I get a call.

Thanks
David
And a dollop of good will from VW ?

Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. Could have suggested the airco. Luckily @Defender90 did. We had a similair problem with our T4 while on holidays in Italy a few years back and it turned out to be the airco. In our case the pipe/drain was cracked due to wear, or so they explained to us. Got repaired (for free!) by VW Paolo Pavone. Spoke English very well! They spend 2 hours checking out what the problem was, warned us it could be expensive. Then finally came back, fixxed it at no charge and send us on our way. Best service ever. So if you're ever in need of assistance in mid Italy, know that they are here:
italy.jpg

Morning, did they fix this. We picked up our cali coast yesterday, drove home and pass footwell is soaked through. Dripping from that outlet under the front passenger dash
How disappointing for you. Do hope you get a speedy resolution from your dealer.

Morning, did they fix this. We picked up our cali coast yesterday, drove home and pass footwell is soaked through. Dripping from that outlet under the front passenger dash

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes all fixed, no further issues. David

Back