Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pas Du Nord, Calais area for Easter

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thinking of a mini-break in the Calais area -- any recommendations please?

Will be camping with two children aged 7 and 10 who like walking and wildlife, beaches etc. Some gentle historical sites would be fine too & low key 'wild' campsites preferred.

thanks

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 11.52.59.png

Stay at home and avoid the Brexit chaos at customs. Sorry to be hard but I would head off to the Welsh coast instead. If your desperate to go to Europe try Hull Zeebrugge overnight ferry.

Sounds great but agree with Skylark. I have two kids and wold love an adventure, but queuing up to get a ferry at the time of Brexit would be the worst time to get a ferry/ eurostar, as you could be queued up for hours, days, weeks, months, years ;) No one know whats going to happen (even the government), but hey, its an adventure! :thumb

Last edited:
You've gotta love this forum.

Ask about France and get told to go to Wales instead :D:D:D

At least you wont get gassed in Wales.......:D

There's a pretty good campsite at Montreuil (if a bit basic), and the fanatastic bird reserve in Baie du Somme (Marquentierre?). And go seal spotting at Le Hourdel near St Valery sur Somme. The whole baie du Somme is really nice

Re BrexitI reckon it will all be fine and now is a good time to get a deal!!

More tips on good places pls
You should be in charge of brexit. Optimism and Positivity, great to hear :thumb

Is that part of France, errrr, not a bit dull?
I always think it looks like the back of beyond.

Just saying ,,,,,,,,:cool:

Is that part of France, errrr, not a bit dull?
I always think it looks like the back of beyond.

Just saying ,,,,,,,,:cool:
We often stopover just for one night a few km’s south of Calais many other folks do the same but on the site there are a lot of families from the UK are there for the week. What is the point of crossing the channel and then going no further? Each to their own I suppose.

I tend to think Kent is so much nicer than Pas-du-Nord-du-flat-and-grey-and-cold-du-Calais, or whatever it’s called.

Stick your foot in for a couple of hours and head south.

It's a part of France I've never been to - so that's interesting in its own right.

& I understand there are some good nature reserves

Does anyone have any recommendations for stopover in the Folkestone area?

think will aim to get there late & then take the Euroshuttle the following morning. That way get the cheap 5-day ticket.

stop24 looks convenient but reviews are bad.....

Last edited:
It's a part of France I've never been to - so that's interesting in its own right.

& I understand there are some good nature reserves
? .... Therefore they call it the 'Calais Jungle'...:

calais-jungle-camp.jpg

Don't know if you saw the last French Customs 'boris bike-test' ? Trucks piling up until Belgium!
Good luck!

Yes, will cancel trip if all hell breaks out.

Note that Eurotunnel are offering free cancellations up to 7 days before you travel -- so nothing to lose

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 11.09.04.png

Good plan. I much prefer the Southern Calais area, just outside Cannes!

Thinking of a mini-break in the Calais area -- any recommendations please?

Will be camping with two children aged 7 and 10 who like walking and wildlife, beaches etc. Some gentle historical sites would be fine too & low key 'wild' campsites preferred.

thanks

View attachment 42043

We used this site as a stopover last year but it could be a good base to tour the region. In land from Calais it's on a working farm. https://www.campingfermedessaules.com/

camping-sainteclaire
19 rue grande Flandres, 76270 Neufchâte-en-bray, France

Great little site within 2hrs of Calais. Cycle routes galore starting right at the site.

quick question about French Campsites -- having looked at a whole bunch now on internet & google maps, all I've found are what look like 'static caravan' parks.....

can any one recommend a website that will help me find something simple -- ideally I would like a tent focused site, without electricity, without swimming pools/playgrounds/bars/tennis courts, somewhere quiet well away from big towns......(or am I expecting too much)?

farmers field would be ideal

thanks