Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking and other size restrictions

Ambler

Ambler

VIP Member
I realise this may have been discussed before but a search with the word parking in it brings up hundreds of mentions about parking sensors.
When our Cali arrives I realise 2m height barriers (and less) will be a problem but what else?
Can we park in the normal car park at motorway service stations.
I've read the thread about M6 toll so I'm aware of that.
Narrow lanes on motorway - I assume keep out of the one that says 2m max. width.
Anything else anyone can advise?

Thanks in advance.

Parking etc is generally easier - it's a big square vehicle - even with the wardrobe in the back - lots of glass area - remember it's a van so it designed to be easy to drive/park. Has a tight turning circle. The only thing I avoid is multi story car parks.

I drive it down the narrow lanes of Devon, no problem, it's big, glassy and square.

You're aware you're in a big vehicle but it never feels like a big vehicle.

Motorway service stations no problem - some let you stay overnight for a charge - which is a surprisingly nice camp :)

James

I beg to differ......

It's a pain to park due to the wardrobe.....etc....but accept that and be careful and you will be ok .....

BerndRos said:
I beg to differ......

It's a pain to park due to the wardrobe.....etc....but accept that and be careful and you will be ok .....

Haven't got a wardrobe….

James

I agree, parking is really good (in the Beach at least) - great visibility and a good turning circle...much better than my XC90 which was a beast to park and a worse turning circle than a double decker bus (at least it felt like it)
I've managed okay in a 2.2m multi storey so far and actually park in tighter spots than I ever would in my old car as the sliding door allows easier access to car seats in the back.
Just worried about other careless drivers now and considering getting a rubber strip out down the side...

Thanks for the replies so far. Presumably park on the car section at motorway services? (For meal stops)

Ambler said:
Thanks for the replies so far. Presumably park on the car section at motorway services? (For meal stops)

Why would you want to?

They are normally crowded, full of sleepy people wandering slowly in your way, and normally so huge you have a 3 mile walk to get to the loo.

Drive around the back, normally coach parks and lorry parks are less crowded, nearer the door, and less of a route march. I do that in my sisters one series BMW or my X3. an added bonus is that sometimes you get a nice smiling hunky trucker to open the door for you (at my age everything counts!).

Just avoid the 7.40 am wallace arnold pensioners outing coach to cleethorpes. Then, if so unfortunate, allow three hours to get through the malfunctioning double doors entrance from the coach park.

Albert, when he arrives, (four weeks to launch date) would look quite regal sat with the truckers.

The parking through the tunnels at Monaco are scary .....at the shopping centre.....was not at all sure I would get out of there !

GrannyJen said:
Ambler said:

Why would you want to?

They are normally crowded, full of sleepy people wandering slowly in your way, and normally so huge you have a 3 mile walk to get to the loo.

Drive around the back, normally coach parks and lorry parks are less crowded, nearer the door, and less of a route march. I do that in my sisters one series BMW or my X3. an added bonus is that sometimes you get a nice smiling hunky trucker to open the door for you (at my age everything counts!).

Just avoid the 7.40 am wallace arnold pensioners outing coach to cleethorpes. Then, if so unfortunate, allow three hours to get through the malfunctioning double doors entrance from the coach park.

Albert, when he arrives, (four weeks to launch date) would look quite regal sat with the truckers.

We camped at Exeter Services before we moved to Devon - £10 for the night = broke the journey up (coming down from Essex). Not the best view, but quiet, safe, secure and with shops like costa open from early morning plus toilets, it was actually really nice.

Obviously not a holiday destination lol but for long trips, that kind of stop is a great and again shows the benefit of the Cali

James

Back