Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Painting original Thule bike rack black

TOLLAUT

TOLLAUT

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello fellow Cali-owners,

It's my first post and I was hoping someone already had the experience and could share some tips... I would like to paint the silver Thule bike rack in black.

I've disassembled the rack into parts but some plastic elements were not possible to take apart.

What type of painting would you recommend in this case? For instance, powder coating elements without plastic and spray the ones with plastic? Are there any other painting methods I should consider?

Can anyone recommend a company that could help within the area of Reading/London/Basingstoke/Guildford?

Any help/tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Lakis

IMG_7786.jpeg

IMG_7765 2.jpeg

IMG_7766.jpeg

So I picked my rack today - did powder coating in gloss black and the quality I've received was immaculate!!!

Initially, I was quoted £100 just for powder coating. However, I dropped my rack with rivets so the chap offered help to remove rivets and put them back together after painting.

Altogether I've paid £140. The guy is based in Reading if anyone interested: Blast and Coat.

TIP: To protect (wrap) moving parts of the rack I've used Acrylic Transparent Edge Protective Film. Works as expected.

Next on the list... Bilstein suspension 30mm lift and Black Rhino Warlord rims :cool:

IMG_7892_2.jpg

IMG_7893.jpeg

Looks great! I've been watching the other threads with interest as would like to do something similar but the idea of dismantling & reassembling is scaring me! Would be interested in how that wears over the winter if you fancy giving an update in a few months... ;)

It’s easy to dismantle - just make sure you label the parts, and do a map (as below) and take some photos or videos. Leave the rivets to the painter if possible.

I’ll send an update in few mo ths time ✌49174980-3486-4D40-8A38-E50A261DB2BC.jpeg

Also thinking of doing this, looks great on the blue van. Do the chocks slide OK on the rack following the powder coating?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Also thinking of doing this, looks great on the blue van. Do the chocks slide OK on the rack following the powder coating?

Yeap... all working pretty smooth and no damage to the paint so far - I’ve been using almost every weekend since painted

Yeap... all working pretty smooth and no damage to the paint so far - I’ve been using almost every weekend since painted
Excellent, thanks.

So I picked my rack today - did powder coating in gloss black and the quality I've received was immaculate!!!

Initially, I was quoted £100 just for powder coating. However, I dropped my rack with rivets so the chap offered help to remove rivets and put them back together after painting.

Altogether I've paid £140. The guy is based in Reading if anyone interested: Blast and Coat.

TIP: To protect (wrap) moving parts of the rack I've used Acrylic Transparent Edge Protective Film. Works as expected.

Next on the list... Bilstein suspension 30mm lift and Black Rhino Warlord rims :cool:

View attachment 69296

View attachment 69297
Just wondering how your powder coated rack has held up? Just about to think about taking mine apart to get done

It’s doing perfectly fine and I’m using it for my MTB’s almost every weekend…

Do it, you’ll be super happy with the result

L

7B12520C-FE34-437B-A3D3-5EAECD50F862.jpeg