Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Packing solution for Beach

Jeeves

Jeeves

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Ok, I know there are lots of similar threads but this solution works for us...3 weeks in France before having to cut it short to avoid quarantine-quick unpack/repack.
We are a family of 4 and a dog-We have the brilliant but very bulky Vanessa Mattress, Vanessa storage bags and are taking a Khyam Motorhome Sleeper, Gas Barbecue, food to be self contained and of course beer and wine......

First in-Barbecue,gas bottle 64 litre "Really Useful Storage box " containing all footwear-Vanessa storage bags packed with clothing either side and kids fold away beds for use in Awning-Awning on top of Vanessa Mattress
IMG_2081.jpeg

Next In is Two 84 Litre "Really Useful Storage boxes"...Bedding can be fitted behind these between 64 Litre and Multiflex (Note barrel of beer in Right hand storage box !)
IMG_2084.jpeg
Next , Folding table placed on Top of 84 litre boxes to form solid base for a further 64 Litre "Really Useful storage box" and Fridge which can be plugged into 12 V.
Two Oztent Chairs now between Mattress and the fridge !

IMG_2086.jpeg
Unpacking on site is very quick and the boxes can be stacked inside the awning-Hope this helps

Ok, I know there are lots of similar threads but this solution works for us...3 weeks in France before having to cut it short to avoid quarantine-quick unpack/repack.
We are a family of 4 and a dog-We have the brilliant but very bulky Vanessa Mattress, Vanessa storage bags and are taking a Khyam Motorhome Sleeper, Gas Barbecue, food to be self contained and of course beer and wine......

First in-Barbecue,gas bottle 64 litre "Really Useful Storage box " containing all footwear-Vanessa storage bags packed with clothing either side and kids fold away beds for use in Awning-Awning on top of Vanessa Mattress
View attachment 64608

Next In is Two 84 Litre "Really Useful Storage boxes"...Bedding can be fitted behind these between 64 Litre and Multiflex (Note barrel of beer in Right hand storage box !)
View attachment 64609
Next , Folding table placed on Top of 84 litre boxes to form solid base for a further 64 Litre "Really Useful storage box" and Fridge which can be plugged into 12 V.

View attachment 64610
Unpacking on site is very quick and the boxes can be stacked inside the awning-Hope this helps

Hi I am relatively new but have done a handful of trips with an awning. I notice that your multi-flex has been moved forward. Is this easy to do? I normally keep it in the rear position with the bench in its most forward position. I fill and the gap between the bench and the flex with the bigger stuff with my fridge wedged between the storage bench and the passenger seat. It would be much more convenient to put the fridge in the back (it won’t fit under the multi-flex).

View attachment 64608

View attachment 64609

View attachment 64610

That looks similar to the packing setup we had on our 385 day, 25,000 mile tour of Europe.

I spent 385 days working out how it could be done better!

We now leave the multiflex in the rearmost position and have a system to extend the multiflex to the back of the bench seat.

All that needs to go above the multiflex is the mattress, awning and bedding.

All that needs to be removed from the van to make the lower bed is the awning, plywood board used to extend the multiflex, and two shallow trays containing foot ware. These slide under the van by the sliding door.

Hi I am relatively new but have done a handful of trips with an awning. I notice that your multi-flex has been moved forward. Is this easy to do? I normally keep it in the rear position with the bench in its most forward position. I fill and the gap between the bench and the flex with the bigger stuff with my fridge wedged between the storage bench and the passenger seat. It would be much more convenient to put the fridge in the back (it won’t fit under the multi-flex).
Very easy to move... 2 bolts one on either side and it slides back and forth

So the cali is merely a transport vehicle for the tent? How do you live inside the van with the bench that much in the fromt position?
I guess you never sleep on anything but a campsite with tent up?

View attachment 64608

View attachment 64609
Two Oztent Chairs now between Mattress and the Ikea, but it’s still been brilliant.

View attachment 64610
@Amarillo ’s solution of Muji boxes/drawers ED38598E-2A24-410E-B021-82A543526CAB.jpegis genius. You can get at everything no matter what is stacked on top. I don’t know why anybody uses anything else. I’ve got 50% because the other sizes are back ordered and had to improvise with Ikea, and it’s still brilliant. I get to everything else (spare gas canisters, spare clothes, spare cases of Spanish wine), by folding the bench seat forward.

@Amarillo ’s solution of Muji boxes/drawers View attachment 64627is genius. You can get at everything no matter what is stacked on top. I don’t know why anybody uses anything else. I’ve got 50% because the other sizes are back ordered and had to improvise with Ikea, and it’s still brilliant. I get to everything else (spare gas canisters, spare clothes, spare cases of Spanish wine), by folding the bench seat forward.
I’m currently sleeping stealth in Graz, Austria. Nobody knows I’m there.

The pink foam holds my rolled up crystal wine glasses. Standards must be maintained.
;) And I thought us Oceanistas were supposed to be the posh ones. You trump me by miles, which isn't hard as we're basically tin cup types!

View attachment 64632
Another beauty of the drawers is that they don't need to be removed to make the bed. But we usually do, and they make a lovely kitchen area in the awning.

View attachment 64633
Loving the muji boxes as they've got straight sides and square corners. Can't bear wasted space between boxes! Need to see how they'll fit in the Ocean. Great cooking/kitchen station, Tom.

;) And I thought us Oceanistas were supposed to be the posh ones. You trump me by miles, which isn't hard as we're basically tin cup types!
I use tin plates! But since the glasses are used before, during and after dinner, I get a lot of posh bang for my buck. They wipe clean with a paper towel.

That looks similar to the packing setup we had on our 385 day, 25,000 mile tour of Europe.

I spent 385 days working out how it could be done better!

We now leave the multiflex in the rearmost position and have a system to extend the multiflex to the back of the bench seat.

All that needs to go above the multiflex is the mattress, awning and bedding.

All that needs to be removed from the van to make the lower bed is the awning, plywood board used to extend the multiflex, and two shallow trays containing foot ware. These slide under the van by the sliding door.

I need to know more.

View attachment 64632
Another beauty of the drawers is that they don't need to be removed to make the bed. But we usually do, and they make a lovely kitchen area in the awning.
View attachment 64633
This is pure genius - I’ve been looking at various combinations of sturdy boxes but the moment you stack them up it means having to keep shifting one to get to whatever is underneath. This solves that problem in one go and creates a lovely camp kitchen for the awning too! Can I ask what size boxes you bought please?

This is pure genius - I’ve been looking at various combinations of sturdy boxes but the moment you stack them up it means having to keep shifting one to get to whatever is underneath. This solves that problem in one go and creates a lovely camp kitchen for the awning too! Can I ask what size boxes you bought please?

44cm x 55cm

Options are:
2 x 18cm + 2 x 30cm, or
1 x 18 + 1 x 30 + 2 x 24cm, or
4 x 24cm

We went for option 2.

Some clips will need removing from under the multiflex for the drawers to fit. One clip is designed to hold the handles of shoppings bags so they don’t spill their contents, the other clip is designed to support the back part of the multiflex in the upright position.

Really like this setup @Amarillo. Are the boxes mouseproof enough to store food in?

Yes - I should think so. We store rice and pasta, and things like onions in them when camping. So as long as mice aren’t given sufficiently long enough to chew through two layers of tough plastic, they are fine for food storage.

44cm x 55cm

Options are:
2 x 18cm + 2 x 30cm, or
4 x 24cm

We went for option 2.

Some clips will need removing from under the multiflex for the drawers to fit. One clip is designed to hold the handles of shoppings bags so they don’t spill their contents, the other clip is designed to support the back part of the multiflex in the upright position.
Thanks very much - appreciate your time.

View attachment 64608

View attachment 64609

View attachment 64610
What do you think of the Vanessa mattress, and how easy is it to fold up and unfold with the window bags?

What do you think of the Vanessa mattress, and how easy is it to fold up and unfold with the window bags?
Absolutely love the Vanessa mattress, its really comfortable -as for folding up with the bags, its no problem-on our pic the bags are absolutely rammed full and the mattress just slots in

44cm x 55cm

Options are:
2 x 18cm + 2 x 30cm, or
4 x 24cm

We went for option 2.

So that’s what that clip is for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44cm x 55cm

Options are:
2 x 18cm + 2 x 30cm, or
4 x 24cm

We went for option 2.

Hello! Just a quick question about the Muji boxes you bought. I can’t seem to find them anywhere. Did you buy them in the UK? They only show details of them but no way of actually buying them online.

Hello! Just a quick question about the Muji boxes you bought. I can’t seem to find them anywhere. Did you buy them in the UK? They only show details of them but no way of actually buying them online.

I went to their shop in Guildford to buy them. At that time (2017) delivery charges were prohibitive.

Back