7e0ac2d96c8d6be5759bd6cbcd323b2f.jpg

Cadac, beach toys, driveaway awning

53bc4427b2056d574bfda3c06d2bd403.jpg

Kitchen drawers and double hob and grill

e82e2cac5a0f71f90a2b508ab4da7380.jpg

Roof topper, children's pop up tent, window vents

c2fe558f1078d9b9298230b93882ee16.jpg

Kitchen table

Light bedding will go in tomorrow morning and bikes loaded.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Picture 8, childrens table and chairs flying forwards + 50 mph?

The only things that go above my Multiflex board are the mattress (strapped down) quilts/pillows. And that is travelling with 5/6 up. Get yourself a Thule Easy base and bags.

The only things that go above my Multiflex board are the mattress (strapped down) quilts/pillows. And that is travelling with 5/6 up. Get yourself a Thule Easy base and bags.

We have both but left them in storage for our year's tour. I modified the easy base to allow access to the boot but decided the faff of having to remove the bag to access the boot was not worth it. Plus we'd lose the benefit of the reversing camera and sensors. And we'd find parking more difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top of bench seat, middle headrest and tops of child seats make that unlikely.

As you might know, we had a crash with quite some stuff in the car (moving for my daughter). And I must say the stuff was all over the place. So in my experience - be prepared for the unexpected. I had absolutely no control over what happened in the accident. We were lucky and did not have any heavy items with us – but don't plan for luck.

I can see some of the stuff you pack can cause severe damage to your passengers. And the theme was discussed earlier on the "Kitchen Shelf" thread. Even the big soft awning can become a destructive missile if you have a heavy collision.

you could quite easy strap everything to the rails with straps. VW makes genuine eyelets for the purpose.

IMG_3725.JPG

Last edited:
Top of bench seat, middle headrest and tops of child seats make that unlikely.

Sorry but we will have to disagree on this subject. One of my clients is a crash investigator for the police, a five minute discussion with him would hopefully change your opinion.

As you might know, we had a crash with quite some stuff in the car (moving for my daughter). And I must say the stuff was all over the place. So in my experience - be prepared for the unexpected. I had absolutely no control over what happened in the accident. We were lucky and did not have any heavy items with us – but don't plan for luck.

I can see some of the stuff you pack can cause severe damage to your passengers. And the theme was discussed earlier on the "Kitchen Shelf" thread. Even the big soft awning can become a destructive missile if you have a heavy collision.

you could quite easy strap everything to the rails with straps. VW makes genuine eyelets for the purpose.

View attachment 28806
I have to agree. Having attended many road accidents over the years, if the contents aren't properly secured down they can be potential killers and that also includes the rear seat passengers.

I have to agree. Having attended many road accidents over the years, if the contents aren't properly secured down they can be potential killers and that also includes the rear seat passengers.
I brought some eyelets with me, and used them for the fridge, but I now use a long strap and secure the fridge to the passenger seat.

So what is the suggestion? Four long straps from each of the four rails from the front of the boot, over all the luggage to the rear?

I have asked myself what the (heavy) bench seat would do in a accident. Does it stays in the rails , do the rails are strong enough to hold it .
Sure this all has passed security tests and the odds of happening ....
@Kmann , how did your bench seat react in your crash ?

Four long straps from each of the four rails from the front of the boot, over all the luggage to the rear?

That I would do.

Lay the straps out of the way, over the back seat while packing and secure the whole lot when everything is in place. I bought a net and modified it a bit for the purpose.

I have asked myself what the (heavy) bench seat would do in a accident. Does it stays in the rails , do the rails are strong enough to hold it .
Sure this all has passed security tests and the odds of happening ....
@Kmann , how did your bench seat react in your crash ?

It still was rock solid. It is build to hold itself and two adult passengers. But I guess it also has a breaking point. If you fill the boot with unsecured Champagne (you would not do that - would you?). The pressure would be massive.

I brought some eyelets with me, and used them for the fridge, but I now use a long strap and secure the fridge to the passenger seat.

So what is the suggestion? Four long straps from each of the four rails from the front of the boot, over all the luggage to the rear?

That would certainly help Tom.
If you were to cover over the load with a tarp, blanket or ideally a cargo net first and then strap it down using your straps and eyelets then you will have greatly reduced the risk. It shouldn't alter your stowage plan or take much longer but just enhance the safety aspect. Make sure the really heavy stuff is low down behind the bench seat especially any gas cylinders. Stow these on the floor in the middle of the vehicle immediately behind the bench where they are away from any areas that could get crushed in an accident.

Excellent blog by the way. When you have finished your travels, do you think you could do summary with your conclusions on the Beach, stowage, strengths, weaknesses etc. It would be of great interest to all on here I am sure.

Agree.
Stick all the heavy stuff down below under the multiflex.
The only items I pack on top of the shelf is bedding. which I strap down with a cargo net to the multiflex.

Great info @Amarillo after have a few nights of camping in our Cali organisation and packing has become my new focus. Looking forward to your followup on bedding.

Great info @Amarillo after have a few nights of camping in our Cali organisation and packing has become my new focus. Looking forward to your followup on bedding.
1 double duvet folded in half longways remains in the upper berth.

1 double duvet and two pillows below:
f6cdf23b8638b0461b65cfcb08130412.jpg

22c445ba65bc4886780b6a1284cd001a.jpg

The boys use cushions as pillows and they remain in the cab.

We are now packed for a full year away from home. If packing for up to a week we could probably manage without the big Ikea under bed case and the two pvc coated boxes above it, all stowed at the front of the boot.

The key to making things easy is positioning the bench so that it doesn't need moving forwards or backwards to make the bed. The multiflex can be about 3cm forward of its rearmost position, and you can have a 3cm gap between the lowered bench and the multiflex. The downside is that you lose cabin space.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the T6 Bike Rack against the T5 rack for a T6?

I cannot fault the function of the T6 bike rack. It holds four bikes securely. On the first part of our trip it held two adult bikes, two children's bikes and a double child bicycle trailer. It's been on the back of our van for 34,000 km, probably 30,000 km with bikes on it.

We did, for a reason unknown, acquire a kink in one of the tubes, probably from reversing it into something solid. We got the tube straightened for £10 by an industrial tube bending company in East London.

The boys use cushions as pillows and they remain in the cab.
We allways use pillows as cushions and tires as tyres ... I think you lost your non UK native audience here :)
Very interesting to follow your reports. I showed the bike rack picture to my wife and she said; that was the big fella who took that foldable bike down Flåm MTB track? Yes :)

I prefer the look of the T5 Rack but I guess the T6 one works better as if further away from Van...

I for one have enjoyed reading Amarillo's blog and found his thread about "Packing my Beach" informative and interesting. If there's one person that's having plenty fun on this forum at present, it has to be Amarillo....and his family of course.

Last edited by a moderator: