Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overwintering Batteries

Jennie

Jennie

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
My California cameraman is 7 years old and 45,000 miles. Last winter my leisure and van battery was flat by the spring- I was away for 2 months and could not start/use it. I heard I should detach the leisure batteries, to stop this happening this winter - how do I do that? Thanks

If possible you could put your batteries on charge using a trickle charger such as a ctek charger

Last edited:
Yes if leaving for a long perion the leisure batteries are best charged and disconnected.

You don’t say what you have or how many, but you just need to remove the negative battery clamp on each battery.

The starter battery will need trickle charging if you want it alarmed etc.

Does anyone know how well the starter battery will be charged after say 3 /12 if the service batteries are on charge full time ? Van is 2015 180 .

Does anyone know how well the starter battery will be charged after say 3 /12 if the service batteries are on charge full time ? Van is 2015 180 .
Your charger will charge both Leisure and trickle charge the Starter Battery. This is NOT the case with some earlier vehicles.

We put ours on hookup for 2-3 months at a time. If we are not using the van. So far batteries are all in tip top condition. We turn everything off eg. fridge and LCD overhead display and make sure all 12v to USB cigarette gadgets are removed. We have done this for over 2 years.