Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overnighting on the way to the Alps

S

Sallyf

VIP Member
We are considering making a break for France to see our daughter and her children at half term. Can anyone suggest quick, easy overnight stops on the way to the French Alps (Annecy)? We will probably cross by the Chunnel and then go on autoroutes A26, A4, A26, A5, A39, A40, A41. We have often stopped at Banteux but ideally would like something a bit further on to break the journey as we have only one driver who doesn’t drive at night.

Does anyone know when snow tyres become obligatory?

We stayed at the Novotel Reims Tinqueux when we headed that way. Convenient for the motorway and a decent 4 star hotel An onsite restaurant/bar makes for a relaxing evening.

As far as I am aware, snow tyres aren't obligatory anywhere - but if there is any snow on the road chains or socks are a requirement in the alps.

Thank you for this. We have no snow equipment and are hoping to sleep in our van to minimise contact with others. We have often done this journey in spring and summer but never at this time of year.

I've used this website below to pick out the road side Aires in France on my way to skiing in Chatel.

On the other side of the road from the Novotel Reims Tinqueux there is a large supermarket, we have seen motor homes and campervans overnighting in this car park. It is away from the autoroute and pretty quiet.

We are considering making a break for France to see our daughter and her children at half term. Can anyone suggest quick, easy overnight stops on the way to the French Alps (Annecy)? We will probably cross by the Chunnel and then go on autoroutes A26, A4, A26, A5, A39, A40, A41. We have often stopped at Banteux but ideally would like something a bit further on to break the journey as we have only one driver who doesn’t drive at night.

We’ve stayed here Not sure if they’re open. I’ll dig out a few others. Where would you like to take a break?
Camping au Bord de l'Aisne - Guignicourt
Camping de Chalons en Champagne - Chalons en Champagne
camping-du-moulin - Aizelles

As far as I am aware, snow tyres aren't obligatory anywhere - but if there is any snow on the road chains or socks are a requirement in the alps.
If you haven’t got 3PMSF rated tyres on you need chains

I second Camping de Chalons en Champagne, great campsite not to far out of the way and great supermarket to stock up on.
They allow you access to the fishing pond, nice stroll in the evening.

Ref winter tyres, I’m sure it’s law in France from around October, but don’t quote me.
They are worth having if staying out there for a while, I’ve travelled in the alps in winter for quite a few years now, only need snow chains a handful of times due to having decent tyres on.
enjoy your trip

We stayed here in the summer with the kids.. basic facilities but pretty good beach and pizza restaurant just outside the campsite. Was nice in the summer!!

49A81DA0-F0B7-4B63-9125-1475A3FFD93F.png

I recommand you the app Park4night!
And another secret ; the marketplace of Volnay, 5min off the A6 and very quiet spot under the trees, with an public toilet at 10m. Sssht, don’t tell anyone!

hi, stay here a few times just south of Metz
Camping Paquis Corny

Back