Our 'Secret Little Campsites'...

ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We love quiet, green, often small camp sites. The ones with a view, nice spots next to the river, in the middle of the forest or on top of a hill, overlooking the sea perhaps. No 'animation team', no huge swimming parcs, no nothing really. Just peace and quiet. Where nature is all around you. Those lovely camp sites which stick with you and stay in the back of your mind, while you're back home. The ones you think of when you're at work and dream of revisiting when you get the chance. The ones, that in time get to be your "little secret camp site". I'm sure you all have one or two. As do we! So I figured I'd start a thread in which we can share them. Sure, you want to keep them 'secret', but there's not that many people here on the forum ;-) and at least we're all nice, friendly campervanners, aren't we? Ok, I get it, you really want to keep them secret! But then maybe keep some for yourself and share one with the rest of us. I'll start of with two, to get you all going!

001.jpg

Kokopelli Camping. A lovely small orchard style camping in the mountains of the Abruzzo region in Italy. Owned by a friendly and calm British couple. The camping is suited for tents mostly, no campers, but they do allow small campervans. Nice views, great walking directly from the camping. You can take a daytrip (45 min) to the sea. Their website is here.

002.jpg

Camping la riviere. A large but quiet camping on the French island of Corsica. A large open field, goats visiting a few times a day. There's forest as well. And it's on a beautiful little river. You can pick a spot close to the lovely restaurant and the water slides the owner build himself, that end up in the river. Or in the forest, for more privacy. If you have never been, Corisca as a whole will blow your mind. Less busy then France's mainland during summer holidays and brilliantly quiet during the off season. Corsica seems to have been made for campervanners. Their website is here. Make sure you do not mistake it for the other camping on the island with the same name. Which is ok too, but not like this one.

Your turn! :)

:offtopic they're not secret anymore. :thumb

Great thread. Great photos.

We love quiet, green, often small camp sites. The ones with a view, nice spots next to the river, in the middle of the forest or on top of a hill, overlooking the sea perhaps. No 'animation team', no huge swimming parcs, no nothing really. Just peace and quiet. Where nature is all around you. Those lovely camp sites which stick with you and stay in the back of your mind, while you're back home. The ones you think of when you're at work and dream of revisiting when you get the chance. The ones, that in time get to be your "little secret camp site". I'm sure you all have one or two. As do we! So I figured I'd start a thread in which we can share them. Sure, you want to keep them 'secret', but there's not that many people here on the forum ;-) and at least we're all nice, friendly campervanners, aren't we? Ok, I get it, you really want to keep them secret! But then maybe keep some for yourself and share one with the rest of us. I'll start of with two, to get you all going!

001.jpg

Kokopelli Camping. A lovely small orchard style camping in the mountains of the Abruzzo region in Italy. Owned by a friendly and calm British couple. The camping is suited for tents mostly, no campers, but they do allow small campervans. Nice views, great walking directly from the camping. You can take a daytrip (45 min) to the sea. Their website is here.

002.jpg

Camping la riviere. A large but quiet camping on the French island of Corsica. A large open field, goats visiting a few times a day. There's forest as well. And it's on a beautiful little river. You can pick a spot close to the lovely restaurant and the water slides the owner build himself, that end up in the river. Or in the forest, for more privacy. If you have never been, Corisca as a whole will blow your mind. Less busy then France's mainland during summer holidays and brilliantly quiet during the off season. Corsica seems to have been made for campervanners. Their website is here. Make sure you do not mistake it for the other camping on the island with the same name. Which is ok too, but not like this one.

Your turn! :)
Great idea :)

I AGREE with ThomasHJ - Kokopelli is beautiful, the village is great and the owners were very kind. Also really got into the local chilled red wine - Montepulciano![/QUOTE]

I have used this campsite when I had a tent, only had the Cali since February so haven’t been able to visit again yet. It is an away from it all campsite. When I went previously they didn’t have a phone signal! There is nothing in the vicinity just beautiful views.

This is from Search for Sites app. 5BB1C0DA-A4A3-4ECC-A9E9-FF334FAE5F5D.png

@Fizzleface wow that's a nice small, green site! And next to a stream! Looks beautiful. Thanks!

20190524_192030.jpg20190524_192047.jpgCamping Les in the Pyrenees on the Spanish side. Early June last year had the place to ourselves.

I AGREE with ThomasHJ - Kokopelli is beautiful, the village is great and the owners were very kind. Also really got into the local chilled red wine - Montepulciano!
[/QUOTE]
Another shout out for Kokopelli, from which we have recently returned after spending a full week of our 2 week break in Abruzzo there . Simply wonderful and the owners couldn’t be more friendly and helpful. Worth a journey in its own right !

FEF46FB9-A67E-4836-8B9B-91CAB4331FA0.jpeg

So jeaulous that you have recently been there! Now if only we could get some more people to post in this thread in stead of just liking it ;-) I guess people are anxiously holding on to their secret spots. I understand. :)

So jeaulous that you have recently been there! Now if only we could get some more people to post in this thread in stead of just liking it ;-) I guess people are anxiously holding on to their secret spots. I understand. :)
I’m sure you are right about that Thomas but sincere thanks are due to you for sharing initially since without your original post I doubt that we would have come across Kokopelli.

Since the site is quite out of the way I don’t think that telling others means that it will become too popular and I’m sure that there must be other spots like this -here’s hoping we can add to the list.

Ah that's nice to hear, that you found Kokopelli thanks to this thread. That's lovely! I'm sure that with time this thread will grow long and filled with hundreds of secret little sites. :)

:offtopic they're not secret anymore. :thumb

Great thread. Great photos.

If a campsite really is beautiful and quiet.
The best thing you could do, is keep it to yourself. Because next time you visit, it may not be so quiet.
Honestly, downsides of the internet.

Perhaps so, but this forum isn't read by the entire world and 'secret camp sites' aren't truely secret to begin with now are they? Besides, there's a max. number of people allowed at a site anyways. There's a lot more variables that will determine whether you find a site full or busy then us sharing our favorites on this thread. The forum is however read by fellow VW-camper owners who might be very thankful for finding a great little site this way. I understand your point but I prefer to look at it in a more positive way. Come one @soulstyledevon show us your secret camp site! You know you want to :)