Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our dream to travel Africa

Tanya

Tanya

Vehicle
T6 Coast 204 4Motion
Hi, we are now the proud owners of a Cali! We watched every YOUTUBE clip there is out there and the real thing is even more impressive. Our plan is to travel into Africa for 3-4 months at a time. I am a keen photographer and my husband and I are both birders! With the Cali we can now park at a waterhole and wait for the action and still enjoy a bite to eat and an ice cold beer!

Like all beginners we are having a few issues but getting them sorted quickly with the help of all the forums here. One I can't seem to find - our gas is installed, but it is not coming through to the burners - red undercounter switch on, gas open on bottle and special Cali valve.... are we missing something???

Looking forward to your reply

Gas bottle turned on anti clockwise?
Red switch in line with the gas line (there is a diagram)?
To prime the gas at the burners the black burner switches need to be pushed down and turned on and you should hear gas.
If that doesn't do it I think there is something wrong.
What is the special Cali valve you speak of?

Welcome on board !
Disconnect the gasbotlle and test the botlle if gas comes out , reinstall ...?

To prime the gas at the burners the black burner switches need to be pushed down and turned on and you should hear gas.
The Gas reducing valve and stopcock. Only used by the California.

Hi, we are now the proud owners of a Cali! We watched every YOUTUBE clip there is out there and the real thing is even more impressive. Our plan is to travel into Africa for 3-4 months at a time. I am a keen photographer and my husband and I are both birders! With the Cali we can now park at a waterhole and wait for the action and still enjoy a bite to eat and an ice cold beer!

Like all beginners we are having a few issues but getting them sorted quickly with the help of all the forums here. One I can't seem to find - our gas is installed, but it is not coming through to the burners - red undercounter switch on, gas open on bottle and special Cali valve.... are we missing something???

Looking forward to your reply
As per the Handbook.
EBC89EA9-2FE3-45F2-B8E9-EE17FE551904.jpeg

Congratulations on your new van and good luck in your travels :thumb
:welcome

Our plan is to travel into Africa for 3-4 months at a time.
I don't know where in Africa you want to go and how you plan to get there but remember that it has become a dangerous place. We've done lots of Africa trips (incl. Libya and Mali) but I wouldn't dream of going back to the Sahara/Sahel region.
I would say that Southern Africa (Mozambique, SA and Namibia) are still relatively safe but in that case consider container-shipping your Cali to SA (Durban for example) and fly yourself.

I don't know where in Africa you want to go and how you plan to get there but remember that it has become a dangerous place. We've done lots of Africa trips (incl. Libya and Mali) but I wouldn't dream of going back to the Sahara/Sahel region.
I would say that Southern Africa (Mozambique, SA and Namibia) are still relatively safe but in that case consider container-shipping your Cali to SA (Durban for example) and fly yourself.
I think she's already there! "Location" S Africa.

Welcome to the forum and the cali experience.

Hi
Red swor
The Gas reducing valve and stopcock. Only used by the California.
Hi
Thank you for your advice. If all else fails - READ THE MANUAL!! The red safety switch was in the open position all the time! I thought it wasn’t and open will obviously be the opposite of the way we received the Cali. Burners working so now we are ready to roll! Can’t wait! Going to Namakwaland to view the flower splendor!

Hi
Thank you for your concern. I live in Africa( South Africa) Just returned from a stunning trip to Botswana. We try to go to the bush ( as we say) annually but the time has come that we do not want to tow anymore and hence the Cali. Suspension will be lifted, protection plates and extea spare wheel bracket installed and off we go. Africa is a beautiful country- like any other travels, one must always be careful.
Will try to post as we go.

Now that's sorted out ...
Pictures of your trips please:D
Would love to see a Cali in the African wildlife...

Big congrats and enjoy Southern Africa in your Cali. I lived in SA for 12 years and miss visiting the bush and its wildlife. I would imagine you will be doing a few up grades to the Cali to cope with the road conditions :) I used to use a Hilux DC and off road trailer, all fitted with BF Goodrich rubber and up graded OME suspension with under armour fitted to the bakkie too haha. I will look forward to hearing of your alterations and seeing lots of photographs from you which will bring back lots of happy memories for me I'm sure :) We come back to Africa on Safari once a year to give me my 'fix' of the bush and will be visiting The Masai Mara again in a couple of weeks time, can't wait :). Stay safe and enjoy your travels.

Aarrrggghhh awesome. Masai Mara!! Will definitely be part of our Africa expedition. Yes. Planning all sorts to make Cali bushworthy. We did the trips with Amarok and bushwaka trailor. Enjoy your trip!

Do it! I have, (well only Morocco at the moment) and I know others on here have. Take the usual precautions and listen to the word on the road. Last year in Chefchaouen I met a couple who’d driven up from South Africa.

Friend of ours is leaving Belgium next week and if all goes wel destination South-Africa and if time and money left back up to the far east...
One small detail , he's going all the way there cycling his bike and all by himself in a tent .

Friend of ours is leaving Belgium next week and if all goes wel destination South-Africa and if time and money left back up to the far east...
One small detail , he's going all the way there cycling his bike and all by himself in a tent .
Wow ! If he needs a bed, hot shower and nice meal, leave me a message. I am in Hermanus. ( close to Cape Town)

Do it! I have, (well only Morocco at the moment) and I know others on here have. Take the usual precautions and listen to the word on the road. Last year in Chefchaouen I met a couple who’d driven up from South Africa.
First Africa trip will only be up to Tanzania. Trying to convince my hubby that we should attempt to end in Europe - preferably when skiseason begins! My other passion( other than the Bush( Africa) is snow skiing!