Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our 4 options for traveling with 'a california'.

If your Coast is still coming at the price you originally ordered it, you'd surely be walking away from a huge instant profit when it finally arrives, as obviously you'll keep your T4!

If your Coast is still coming at the price you originally ordered it, you'd surely be walking away from a huge instant profit when it finally arrives, as obviously you'll keep your T4!
Indeed, you can hardly imagine how much the price difference is when I last looked at it (somewhere November 2021): same options and discount. It was already 8,000 euros more in November. Anyway: I don't know if the price from August 2020 will be the same at delivery (already asked the dealer and the importer and got no answer; they refer to each other) and if I choose to keep waiting for the ordered coast, I would really prefer that but may I add: it's not my intentions to sell it directly. We wanted a new one to enjoy it for many years to come.
Maybe I keep my T4 westfalia, I would want to do that: emotionally I can't part with it and realistically I can't because it is still our faithful travel companion.

Last edited:
Indeed, you can hardly imagine how much the price difference is when I last looked at it (somewhere November 2021): same options and discount. It was already 8,000 euros more in November. Anyway: I don't know if the price from August 2020 will be the same at delivery (already asked the dealer and the importer and got no answer; they refer to each other) and if I choose to keep waiting for the ordered coast, I would really prefer that but may I add: it's not my intentions to sell it directly. We wanted a new one to enjoy it for many years to come.
Maybe I keep my T4 westfalia, I would want to do that: emotionally I can't part with it and realistically I can't because it is still our faithful travel companion.
Hmm, I would think the signed order is a contract..so I would not expect a higher price on delivery, or is that a possibility in the "small letters" on the order you signed?

Hmm, I would think the signed order is a contract..so I would not expect a higher price on delivery, or is that a possibility in the "small letters" on the order you signed?
honestly, I don't know. Actually, I don't read fine print. I haven't heard about these practices with us yet, but apparently it happens in the UK; hence the question that I then asked the importer in Belgium and our dealer. Maybe they don't know anything.

Thanks for your reaction. I also think that the diesel is not out yet; that is why I also chose the latest California with the most recent / latest emission standard. I will also be using it for commuting to work.
We got a cherry red one delivered (very nice). No discount was offered, a shiny black radiator grille and some black pieces instead of plastic chrome I could get. And of course the california for our summer holiday (we do have a T4 westfalia but it was nice to taste what a modern one is like.)
Oh yes, we ordered ascot grey. Well thought out and after seeing a pair in that colour at our dealer.
I would love a red one.

I would love a red one.
Wel, it was a nice one.
With the shiny black parts he was willing to give for nothing as compensation, this is what he would have looked like (picture of the dealer's own ocean).
164569725_4044204378935789_769027241328481647_n.jpg

Wel, it was a nice one.
So the dealer wasn’t willing to cover the cost of having it painted in the right colour? Out of all the mistakes that can be made, I would have thought the wrong color would have been one of the easiest one to fix. Sucks having to wait for another 1-2 years because of that.

So the dealer wasn’t willing to cover the cost of having it painted in the right colour? Out of all the mistakes that can be made, I would have thought the wrong color would have been one of the easiest one to fix. Sucks having to wait for another 1-2 years because of that.
yes, the ultra long waiting time now has its reasons and is certainly annoying at times, but I would not have wanted to have the red sprayed over (and have not suggested them either nor did they).

Last edited:
thanks for the explanation. We chose the colour because it looks retro to me. A new california in a solid old colour is what I wanted. The colour reminds me of the company cars my father used to drive, they were all kinds of Volkswagen and all in a kind of light mouse grey. So for me it is also a bit of nostalgia, ascot grey. That is why the cherry red that was delivered at the time was quite far from it, although it was very beautiful.
I had already seen a few vans and a cali beach in 2020 and under different lighting conditions: sun, rain, cloudy, under artificial light in the showroom and thought - although it is a flat colour - that it is also very special because of the shades it can have: from a fairly grey to almost white even. I like to see it.
I personally think all available colours are good for a Cali. When we got the courtesy vehicle, it was in Mojave beige and I wasn't a fan of that colour before. But it also has shades according to the light and is very beautiful. I have become a fan.
Yes, I agree it can look pale grey and close to white, but also a sandy/linen/buff/cream too in certain conditions. If you look at my avatar photo (taken in the evening light) against the grey text box you might see what I mean. On grey days and in the evening it can look darker grey than expected.
Several shades according to the light, that keep it interesting.
Looks fantastic polished up/ceramic coated, but doesn't show the dirt particularly either.
And it's free!

Yes, I agree it can look pale grey and close to white, but also a sandy/linen/buff/cream too in certain conditions. If you look at my avatar photo (taken in the evening light) against the grey text box you might see what I mean. On grey days and in the evening it can look darker grey than expected.
Several shades according to the light, that keep it interesting.
Looks fantastic polished up/ceramic coated, but doesn't show the dirt particularly either.
And it's free!
Yes, indeed, that’s why I chose it. Saw it several times before I decided. Now there is someone with a transporter van in ascot grey not far from where I live and so I see it almost every day… makes the wait a little more difficult ;)

Back