Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our 4 options for traveling with 'a california'.

calibusje

calibusje

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hello everyone. Like many, I have a few questions about a still undelivered California and what to do. I come up with 4 options for myself:
  1. Keep waiting for the ordered coast. Some info about this: ordered at the end of August 2020 with an estimated delivery time of early May 2021. The car was delivered at the end of March. Nice but delivered in the wrong colour. Somebody's mistake, can happen and even though it was a nice california, it wasn't the colour we wanted and after a short reflection period we got, we decided to wait for the right california for us. Another was ordered (apparently an already ordered one from the dealer itself that they could still make 'blank' and configure completely to our order. Wow, we are still waiting for that. (by the way, for new orders, delivery times of up to two years are already forecast.) First was corona and a micro chip chortage. Corona was bad and I hope everyone got through those few years well. Now: that terrible war in UA.... Just like with corona and the microchip shortage, I fully understand the delays caused by that. I pray that the war will stop and not because they would produce again but because what's happening there is absurd and cannot be understood. I therefore look forward to a peaceful solution.
  2. We all saw the ID Buzz and a lot has been written about this, I love it and -if the price is affordable- possibly would like a California. But: which one will it be? There are already those who argue that it will be a relatively narrow version, perhaps with a fold-out kitchen genre as possible in the beach now. There could also be less deep cabinets. Maybe this will be a 'new' version of the california because volkswagen announce a ID Buzz 'california' but in the meantime this has become a family with the grand california, the 'transporter' california let me call it and the caddy california. So it could just as well become a fun car, not entirely intended for travel. I'm just thinking out loud. So waiting for that (many more years, but I'm used to waiting)? About the batteries: there are many opinions about that and this is mine: for us the driving range is good enough, as now or as it becomes (because then it will have a better range: there are still battery packs that can be added to the MEB 'chassis' and it will become a lwb). For us, the route already counts as a journey and we do not drive to a destination, but the destination is simply a point along our route. Speed is of no importance and slow travel is the way we do it, it's a way of travel, I know, that some people don't do: they want to get somewhere with as few stops as possible and a short sleep in parking lots at gas stations. Good for them and for them the range is therefore also a stumbling block, but not for us. We would top up the batteries and take a break or visit something. In fact, I think electric & California is a good match. For us anyway. And I deliberately do not mention the environment, I don't want to discuss that now.
  3. It is suggested here and there (though it's rather quiet about it now) that the real successor of the cali will still be based on the new transporter and this is made in collaboration with Ford. In Turkey and more information is not available and is hard to find. This seems the most plausible to me: the new transporter will also be the new California as we know it today. I am also very curious about it. Could come as a hybrid or as a full electric.
  4. We've been traveling for 10 years now with our trusty (not rusty) old T4 westfalia california from 1991. This one has brought us a lot of fun & compact, manoeuvrable, handy, just what we want; that's how we like to travel. And it is precisely this that made us decide to renew: so we ordered a T6.1 California Coast: cheaper than young second-hand at the time, air conditioning, the ingenious solutions of the folding seats in the boot lid and the inner table on a rail and the outdoor table in the sliding door, you all know. Also more power for in the mountains because we like to drive there and the 2.4 atmospheric diesel of the T4 is indestructible (don't let it get too hot) and took us everywhere, but smoother driving in the mountains is desirable for us. Important: noise while driving; last summer we received a brand new lease california ocean free of charge from the dealer to compensate for the one that was delivered in the wrong colour, and we immediately noticed: what a silence while driving: we could hear the radio and also each other and the children. Now we have to repeat because the other one didn't hear it, either talk loudly or turn up the radio to hear that favorite song. Of course that is the case with a 30 year old van and part of its charm but it is also tiring after a long drive. We still have the westfalia so although the waiting is sometimes annoying, it is not such a big problem.
    This is both a fun threat to clear your mind a bit but I'm also curious about other opinions & new input, keep it coming.

Greetings
    Calibusje
    Belgium

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Like many, I have a few questions about a still undelivered California and what to do. I come up with 4 options for myself:
  1. Keep waiting for the ordered coast. Some info about this: ordered at the end of August 2020 with an estimated delivery time of early May 2021. The car was delivered at the end of March. Nice but delivered in the wrong colour. Somebody's mistake, can happen and even though it was a nice california, it wasn't the colour we wanted and after a short reflection period we got, we decided to wait for the right california for us. Another was ordered (apparently an already ordered one from the dealer itself that they could still make 'blank' and configure completely to our order. Wow, we are still waiting for that. (by the way, for new orders, delivery times of up to two years are already forecast.) First was corona and a micro chip chortage. Corona was bad and I hope everyone got through those few years well. Now: that terrible war in UA.... Just like with corona and the microchip shortage, I fully understand the delays caused by that. I pray that the war will stop and not because they would produce again but because what's happening there is absurd and cannot be understood. I therefore look forward to a peaceful solution.
  2. We all saw the ID Buzz and a lot has been written about this, I love it and -if the price is affordable- possibly would like a California. But: which one will it be? There are already those who argue that it will be a relatively narrow version, perhaps with a fold-out kitchen genre as possible in the beach now. There could also be less deep cabinets. Maybe this will be a 'new' version of the california because volkswagen announce a ID Buzz 'california' but in the meantime this has become a family with the grand california, the 'transporter' california let me call it and the caddy california. So it could just as well become a fun car, not entirely intended for travel. I'm just thinking out loud. So waiting for that (many more years, but I'm used to waiting)? About the batteries: there are many opinions about that and this is mine: for us the driving range is good enough, as now or as it becomes (because then it will have a better range: there are still battery packs that can be added to the MEB 'chassis' and it will become a lwb). For us, the route already counts as a journey and we do not drive to a destination, but the destination is simply a point along our route. Speed is of no importance and slow travel is the way we do it, it's a way of travel, I know, that some people don't do: they want to get somewhere with as few stops as possible and a short sleep in parking lots at gas stations. Good for them and for them the range is therefore also a stumbling block, but not for us. We would top up the batteries and take a break or visit something. In fact, I think electric & California is a good match. For us anyway. And I deliberately do not mention the environment, I don't want to discuss that now.
  3. It is suggested here and there (though it's rather quiet about it now) that the real successor of the cali will still be based on the new transporter and this is made in collaboration with Ford. In Turkey and more information is not available and is hard to find. This seems the most plausible to me: the new transporter will also be the new California as we know it today. I am also very curious about it. Could come as a hybrid or as a full electric.
  4. We've been traveling for 10 years now with our trusty (not rusty) old T4 westfalia california from 1991. This one has brought us a lot of fun & compact, manoeuvrable, handy, just what we want; that's how we like to travel. And it is precisely this that made us decide to renew: so we ordered a T6.1 California Coast: cheaper than young second-hand at the time, air conditioning, the ingenious solutions of the folding seats in the boot lid and the inner table on a rail and the outdoor table in the sliding door, you all know. Also more power for in the mountains because we like to drive there and the 2.4 atmospheric diesel of the T4 is indestructible (don't let it get too hot) and took us everywhere, but smoother driving in the mountains is desirable for us. Important: noise while driving; last summer we received a brand new lease california ocean free of charge from the dealer to compensate for the one that was delivered in the wrong colour, and we immediately noticed: what a silence while driving: we could hear the radio and also each other and the children. Now we have to repeat because the other one didn't hear it, either talk loudly or turn up the radio to hear that favorite song. Of course that is the case with a 30 year old van and part of its charm but it is also tiring after a long drive.
    This is both a fun threat to clear your mind a bit but I'm also curious about other opinions & new input, keep it coming.

Greetings
    Calibusje
    Belgium
Whichever way you go you will have a long wait for whichever vehicle you choose. At least the Coast is already in the system.

Whichever way you go you will have a long wait for whichever vehicle you choose. At least the Coast is already in the system.
Thank you for your reaction. That's right... if only they could be sure he's in the system. I have a signed order form and that's it: in Belgium all data has disappeared on MyVolkswagen and I have already contacted the importer and they have no additional explanation, nor the dealer. It will be a (long) wait anyway and meanwhile we travel with the old T4 westfalia.

I can imagine that you chose to order a new one, because at the time the price difference between new and second hand wasn't that great. And you sort of knew how long you would have to wait for it. Now however, when it seems possible that it may take a very long time before you get the new one, you could consider going back to the option of buying a second hand one. It may not be the cheapest option, but it might be the fastest.

I can imagine that you chose to order a new one, because at the time the price difference between new and second hand wasn't that great. And you sort of knew how long you would have to wait for it. Now however, when it seems possible that it may take a very long time before you get the new one, you could consider going back to the option of buying a second hand one. It may not be the cheapest option, but it might be the fastest.
Thank you for your reaction. Althoug it's not a bad idea, second hand isn't an option for us: too expensive just 'to have one fast', prices are rediculous. We have an T4, although not modern, it still brings us joy. At Easter we go to the UK (P&O booked and not because it was the cheapest -from here P&O is the more expensive option, just a bit cheaper than the chunnel- but more out of habit. We booked with them many times already. Though this will now be done).
In the summer to Germany (a meeting, organized by Volkswagen itself, but of which very little is known and no additional information is provided) and France (TdF and Île de Noirmoutier) with the westfalia if there is no new coast yet (or if we choose another option such as waiting for ID Buzz cali or the new transporter california).

Get a older T5.1 Cali as will be more comfortable to drive than your T4 (ie climate control, smoother drive & a radio that you can hear). T4 prices have also been increasing for past 5 years or so.

Then see what VW/Ford come up with in the future. ID Buzz looks nice but can’t see it being a pratical camper + it’s normally a bad idea to buy the first of something as bound to have teething problems….and VW are not renowned for quick fixes.

Forget the caddy. We had the van version as a courtesy car whilst our van was being serviced last week. It’s tiny (especially if you are coming from a T4), no idea why they decided to build a camper option.

Get a older T5.1 Cali as will be more comfortable to drive than your T4 (ie climate control, smoother drive & a radio that you can hear). T4 prices have also been increasing for past 5 years or so.

Then see what VW/Ford come up with in the future. ID Buzz looks nice but can’t see it being a pratical camper + it’s normally a bad idea to buy the first of something as bound to have teething problems….and VW are not renowned for quick fixes.

Forget the caddy. We had the van version as a courtesy car whilst our van was being serviced last week. It’s tiny (especially if you are coming from a T4), no idea why they decided to build a camper option.
Thanks for reacting. An older T5.1 could have been an option but I wil use the new california also for commuting and my car will be sold (to have the money once it arrives ;)). That is why it really must be the last emission standard for diesels. Unfortunately I can't change that factor.
Otherwise a great idea.
I think that the ID Buzz california will be more like a beachversion (thoug very good vehicle but not for us). And of course the teething problems and volkswagens reactions to those...
The caddy wasn't an option, when I was at the dealer last year, he showed me one. He was very impressed, me not that much. Each his thing.
So the vw/ford 'transporter/transit' then: I am curious.
Oh, I saw some pricing on a second hand T4 westy recently and wow, I even asked a seller how they came up with that high price (12.500 EUR for a 1993 and in lesser condition than ours). Apparently it is now also like that for the T4 california. Won't sell it yet though.

Last edited:
  4. We've been traveling for 10 years now with our trusty (not rusty) old T4 westfalia california from 1991. This one has brought us a lot of fun & compact, manoeuvrable, handy, just what we want; that's how we like to travel. And it is precisely this that made us decide to renew: so we ordered a T6.1 California Coast: cheaper than young second-hand at the time, air conditioning, the ingenious solutions of the folding seats in the boot lid and the inner table on a rail and the outdoor table in the sliding door, you all know. Also more power for in the mountains because we like to drive there and the 2.4 atmospheric diesel of the T4 is indestructible (don't let it get too hot) and took us everywhere, but smoother driving in the mountains is desirable for us. Important: noise while driving; last summer we received a brand new lease california ocean free of charge from the dealer to compensate for the one that was delivered in the wrong colour, and we immediately noticed: what a silence while driving: we could hear the radio and also each other and the children. Now we have to repeat because the other one didn't hear it, either talk loudly or turn up the radio to hear that favorite song. Of course that is the case with a 30 year old van and part of its charm but it is also tiring after a long drive. We still have the westfalia so although the waiting is sometimes annoying, it is not such a big problem.

Greetings
    Calibusje
    Belgium
I’d vote for being patient and keep waiting for your ordered Coast.
Coasts are being delivered quicker than expected and people are reporting Coasts being arriving without any warning to either the buyer or dealer. If you cancel now, you will never know if your delivery was imminent.

I’d vote for being patient and keep waiting for your ordered Coast.
Coasts are being delivered quicker than expected and people are reporting Coasts being arriving without any warning to either the buyer or dealer. If you cancel now, you will never know if your delivery was imminent.
Thank you for your reaction. Yes, I too see coasts being delivered.. in the UK.
I suspect that somehow the right-hand drive is favored. Good for those who are now receiving their coast. I'm happy for them. For me, the fairly hopeless waiting time provides new opportunities, hense my original post :) and one of my options is waiting for our ordered coast, so one in favorit for that then :thumb

What a shame your Coast was delivered in the wrong colour, and that the discount (I presume the dealer offered you a discount?) wasn’t enough to tempt you. Can I ask what colour you wanted, and what was delivered?
As you’ve got a serviceable Cali, I would hang on for your 6.1, and not entertain years of wait for a Buzz California. My 6.1 is a dream come true - the only niggle is that it burns diesel, but I get around 40mpg with a light right foot, and it is ULEZ compliant (for now) so I am determined to enjoy it for as long as possible (I live in London’s ULEZ). I do hope there is some mileage in sustainable fuels, extending the life of my 6.1 for decades…

What a shame your Coast was delivered in the wrong colour, and that the discount (I presume the dealer offered you a discount?) wasn’t enough to tempt you. Can I ask what colour you wanted, and what was delivered?
As you’ve got a serviceable Cali, I would hang on for your 6.1, and not entertain years of wait for a Buzz California. My 6.1 is a dream come true - the only niggle is that it burns diesel, but I get around 40mpg with a light right foot, and it is ULEZ compliant (for now) so I am determined to enjoy it for as long as possible (I live in London’s ULEZ). I do hope there is some mileage in sustainable fuels, extending the life of my 6.1 for decades…
Thanks for your reaction. I also think that the diesel is not out yet; that is why I also chose the latest California with the most recent / latest emission standard. I will also be using it for commuting to work.
We got a cherry red one delivered (very nice). No discount was offered, a shiny black radiator grille and some black pieces instead of plastic chrome I could get. And of course the california for our summer holiday (we do have a T4 westfalia but it was nice to taste what a modern one is like.)
Oh yes, we ordered ascot grey. Well thought out and after seeing a pair in that colour at our dealer.

Thanks for your reaction. I also think that the diesel is not out yet; that is why I also chose the latest California with the most recent / latest emission standard. I will also be using it for commuting to work.
We got a cherry red one delivered (very nice). No discount was offered, a shiny black radiator grille and some black pieces instead of plastic chrome I could get. And of course the california for our summer holiday (we do have a T4 westfalia but it was nice to taste what a modern one is like.)
Oh yes, we ordered ascot grey. Well thought out and after seeing a pair in that colour at our dealer.
I love our Ascot grey but know it’s marmite on here.

I love marmite but I don’t know the expression.
It’s based on Marmites advertising slogan here in the UK ‘you either love it or hate it’.
I hate marmite but love ascot grey! But it’s a colour that really divides opinion, hence the expression ‘like marmite’

It’s based on Marmites advertising slogan here in the UK ‘you either love it or hate it’.
I hate marmite but love ascot grey! But it’s a colour that really divides opinion, hence the expression ‘like marmite’
thanks for the explanation. We chose the colour because it looks retro to me. A new california in a solid old colour is what I wanted. The colour reminds me of the company cars my father used to drive, they were all kinds of Volkswagen and all in a kind of light mouse grey. So for me it is also a bit of nostalgia, ascot grey. That is why the cherry red that was delivered at the time was quite far from it, although it was very beautiful.
I had already seen a few vans and a cali beach in 2020 and under different lighting conditions: sun, rain, cloudy, under artificial light in the showroom and thought - although it is a flat colour - that it is also very special because of the shades it can have: from a fairly grey to almost white even. I like to see it.
I personally think all available colours are good for a Cali. When we got the courtesy vehicle, it was in Mojave beige and I wasn't a fan of that colour before. But it also has shades according to the light and is very beautiful. I have become a fan.

Last edited:
We are having a similar dilemma here in the UK. Prices are ridiculous, both for new and second hand. But second hand is only £1-£3K less than brand new.

So, do you buy second hand and have the van now? Or do you order and wait an unspecified amount of time - dealer told us it's a year wait, and even longer now that the factories are shut. And if you buy new, what if prices drop again at some point soonish? Or will the second hand market be flooded with used Calis, after foreign travel opens up more - or the cost of living crunch bites and people find they can't afford what they've bought on hire purchase etc? If you buy new, will you be left with a van that has experienced massive depreciation due to the above factors? Yes, unheard of thus far but not implausible.

Or do we wait for the Buzz California? Because really we want an electric vehicle and we LOVE the styling of the Buzz. And so then, do you buy a Buzz this Sept and then trade-in in a few years, or wait for the camper version which is going to take years.

Our worry about buying a Cali now is that they will continue to be penalised on emissions. Could it even get to the point where no-one wants to buy them? Diesel costs are already punishingly high in the UK and we were hoping to get rid of our diesels (after being bitten by the VW diesel scandal last time around).

In the summer to Germany (a meeting, organized by Volkswagen itself, but of which very little is known and no additional information is provided)
I live in Hannover and plan to visit this meet...assuming its not cancelled due to Covid. We can meet and either celebrate or commiserate depending on the status of our 'overdue' and long-awaited Coast orders. :rolleyes:

We are having a similar dilemma here in the UK. Prices are ridiculous, both for new and second hand. But second hand is only £1-£3K less than brand new.

So, do you buy second hand and have the van now? Or do you order and wait an unspecified amount of time - dealer told us it's a year wait, and even longer now that the factories are shut. And if you buy new, what if prices drop again at some point soonish? Or will the second hand market be flooded with used Calis, after foreign travel opens up more - or the cost of living crunch bites and people find they can't afford what they've bought on hire purchase etc? If you buy new, will you be left with a van that has experienced massive depreciation due to the above factors? Yes, unheard of thus far but not implausible.

Or do we wait for the Buzz California? Because really we want an electric vehicle and we LOVE the styling of the Buzz. And so then, do you buy a Buzz this Sept and then trade-in in a few years, or wait for the camper version which is going to take years.

Our worry about buying a Cali now is that they will continue to be penalised on emissions. Could it even get to the point where no-one wants to buy them? Diesel costs are already punishingly high in the UK and we were hoping to get rid of our diesels (after being bitten by the VW diesel scandal last time around).
It will be a long time before California prices are affected, diesels too. For people like us (we have only just bought an 18 month old Coast) the choice is NOW (used) or sometime in the future (years?) when everything has panned out and settled. Our choice is based on ‘why wait? we have only a short time on this world’. There are SO many things to worry about, somethings it’s perhaps best NOT to worry at all :)

We would have preferred electric but there is simply NOTHING that meets the spec just yet! It will happen I am sure, but in the meantime we (and everyone else who needs to travel over great distances) will be sticking with diesel.

As I get older I really do begin to understand the mantra……’Life is too short’ :)

It will be a long time before California prices are affected, diesels too. For people like us (we have only just bought an 18 month old Coast) the choice is NOW (used) or sometime in the future (years?) when everything has panned out and settled. Our choice is based on ‘why wait? we have only a short time on this world’. There are SO many things to worry about, somethings it’s perhaps best NOT to worry at all :)

We would have preferred electric but there is simply NOTHING that meets the spec just yet! It will happen I am sure, but in the meantime we (and everyone else who needs to travel over great distances) will be sticking with diesel.

As I get older I really do begin to understand the mantra……’Life is too short’ :)
correct! Life is too short. We already made our choice 10 years ago with our T4 westfalia california and just wanted to modernise. However, the new coast is so long in coming that suddenly new possibilities open up for us; see my original post. So, the ‘why wait’ question has become for us rather ‘you have to wait, and you will even wait a long time’ :D In the meantime, we're still having fun with the Westfalia.

I live in Hannover and plan to visit this meet...assuming its not cancelled due to Covid. We can meet and either celebrate or commiserate depending on the status of our 'overdue' and long-awaited Coast orders. :rolleyes:
Great, you live there at the source :thumb
I already sent them a few messenger messages, which they always answer kindly, but I don't get any more info.

Thanks for responding. Many questions and I understand you; the depreciation for a diesel vehicle and therefore also for the california can possibly be high. However, I can't predict what a California will be like in 10 or 20 years. I suspect that they will not be worth much expressed in money but will be worth a lot in fond memories. Now is the golden time for those who sell their young calis with the intention of making a profit (explanation is always there and at their expense, I think mine of it. Sometimes I also make an impulsive, not well-thought-out purchase, but it concerns different amounts than a California…) I won’t buy a young secondhand cali as they are ridiculous expensive just because these are ‘expensive times’. Each his own idea about that. However, the depreciation of an old California hasn't stopped me from ordering one.

Last edited:
Hi calibusje, although our Ocean is from 2018 we are interested to go electric in the future. But as stated by VW the "caliversion" will not be there before 2025, and personally I think it it's more likely to be 2026. I have read quit some opinions here on a Buzz Cali, but I think they are somewhat premature, even about the person/transporter version of the current presented ID Buzz since (almost) nobody has physically seen it yet.

So when I was you, and you really want something a bit more luxurious (and more quiet) Cali in the mean time I would go for an T5 SE which still has a Euro 5 permission. Trade in or sell your T4 since it has a relative high value nowadays. Depreciation in the next couple of years on a T5 SE will also be foreseeable I think. (although nothing is really economical predictable now after the Russian invasion)

In the meantime you can wait for the outcome of the ID Buzz Cali or the VW/Ford combination.

And of course you can stick to the T4 for that period to 2025/26 and keep another second hand car for your (daily) work commuting.

krgds, Multi

Hi calibusje, although our Ocean is from 2018 we are interested to go electric in the future. But as stated by VW the "caliversion" will not be there before 2025, and personally I think it it's more likely to be 2026. I have read quit some opinions here on a Buzz Cali, but I think they are somewhat premature, even about the person/transporter version of the current presented ID Buzz since (almost) nobody has physically seen it yet.

So when I was you, and you really want something a bit more luxurious (and more quiet) Cali in the mean time I would go for an T5 SE which still has a Euro 5 permission. Trade in or sell your T4 since it has a relative high value nowadays. Depreciation in the next couple of years on a T5 SE will also be foreseeable I think. (although nothing is really economical predictable now after the Russian invasion)

In the meantime you can wait for the outcome of the ID Buzz Cali or the VW/Ford combination.

And of course you can stick to the T4 for that period to 2025/26 and keep another second hand car for your (daily) work commuting.

krgds, Multi
Another idea I keep an open (google) eye for our T6 is to convert it to electric in future, there are and will be more specialists for in the near future I think

Another idea I keep an open (google) eye for our T6 is to convert it to electric in future, there are and will be more specialists for in the near future I think
Thanks. That is something I also thought of for our T4 but will not be possible in Belgium. Nothing is… It's very strict here on everything that ends up with cars, unfortunately.

Last edited:

krgds, Multi
Thanks you for your think along and also very sensible what you say.

Back