Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering a 4Motion Grand California 680

So I collected my van yesterday, and I’m on it’s first road trip to Turkey already. 1000 miles under the belt and all going well. More pictures to follow. Fuel economy 29 mpg so far, and that’s belting along the autostrada. Bear in mind it’s the 4Motion, and the engine is just breaking in.

Oh, and the dealer got all of the manuals in English for me :)
B5769499-8B1E-4266-A279-E4797BD2FEF4.jpeg

Would you be willing to share the dealers details with me too? I’m coming over from nz in a couple of months and I’d love to get one of these!!!

Would you be willing to share the dealers details with me too? I’m coming over from nz in a couple of months and I’d love to get one of these!!!
Also you mentioned registering it in the uk but not importing it there for a couple of years. Is that possible? I have a UK address but I dont want to bring it in to the UK.

I ordered mine in Germany, and exported it to Turkey where I’m current working. My dealer, Ruben helped a lot with the export paperwork. Here’s his details. Let him know I sent you, he might give me a free mug!

Tölke & Fischer GmbH & Co. KG
Verkauf Nutzfahrzeuge
Heideckstraße 177
47805 Krefeld

Tel.: +49 2151 339 277
Fax: +49 2151 339 444
E-Mail: ruben.miguel@toefi.de

I ordered mine in Germany, and exported it to Turkey where I’m current working. My dealer, Ruben helped a lot with the export paperwork. Here’s his details. Let him know I sent you, he might give me a free mug!

Tölke & Fischer GmbH & Co. KG
Verkauf Nutzfahrzeuge
Heideckstraße 177
47805 Krefeld

Tel.: +49 2151 339 277
Fax: +49 2151 339 444
E-Mail: ruben.miguel@toefi.de
thanks so much. I will let you know when I get some information and chat to him. Happy travels.

Love the colour, you have made a good choice, is it Mat Gray ?. Got to wait until December too order one here, thanks for the share.
Why wait until December?

So I tried to configure the GC 600 with the roof air conditioner and the awning and I’ve been informed you can’t do this. I’m concerned that the van would get pretty unbearable in the summer heat to sleep. Is this something to worry about?
Also configured up without a tow ball, no roof air conditioning unit and no bike rack, the pay load is 366kg. This seems pretty low if you add 2 people + bike rack + 2 bikes + grey water + fresh water + full gas tanks + clothes,food etc? I think I may have to increase the weight capacity (which is an option) but then I may as well start looking at the GC 680 as the advantage of the under 3.5t is lost and the only downside is the length increase to 7m

Any thoughts?

i can’t fully help you, as you’ve got quite a balancing act. Here’s a couple of tips:
- the vehicle weight already includes some of your concerns; gas bottle, water (20 litres I think)
- if you order the diesel heating, the bottle is only 5kg rather than 11 or 22 for 2 (only for cooking), this will reduce the vehicle weight
- there’s heaps of ventilation, but I’m not sure what it’s going to be like in the heat of summer (only up to 25 degrees so far, and that was fine). I will rarely ever be hooked-up hence I didn’t select the air con.
- an awning will be pretty difficult to retro-fit as the bracket goes into the plastic roof and has to be reinforced from behind ( pretty hard to access)
I hope this help. Let me know how it goes

- if you order the diesel heating, the bottle is only 5kg rather than 11 or 22 for 2 (only for cooking), this will reduce the vehicle weight
To be more accurate, those are the weights for the gas itself, not for the bottles themselves - so much more weight is saved

So I tried to configure the GC 600 with the roof air conditioner and the awning and I’ve been informed you can’t do this. I’m concerned that the van would get pretty unbearable in the summer heat to sleep. Is this something to worry about?
Also configured up without a tow ball, no roof air conditioning unit and no bike rack, the pay load is 366kg. This seems pretty low if you add 2 people + bike rack + 2 bikes + grey water + fresh water + full gas tanks + clothes,food etc? I think I may have to increase the weight capacity (which is an option) but then I may as well start looking at the GC 680 as the advantage of the under 3.5t is lost and the only downside is the length increase to 7m

Any thoughts?
If you ordered the 600 without the additional child bed you also have a weight saving.

If you ordered the 600 without the additional child bed you also have a weight saving.
That’s right but I didn’t include it any way. I wanted to add a tow ball, bike rack and spare tire but for various reasons they were either taken off due to unavailability or I guess due to weight. It seems the GC600 is a bit of an odd beast. I am now configuring the GC 680!

Can you upgrade to the 3.8t 600 the only difference is the springs and anti toll bars I believe.

That’s right but I didn’t include it any way. I wanted to add a tow ball, bike rack and spare tire but for various reasons they were either taken off due to unavailability or I guess due to weight. It seems the GC600 is a bit of an odd beast. I am now configuring the GC 680!
There is a bit more info at this forum (in german, I use Chrome with translation switched on):

There is a bit more info at this forum (in german, I use Chrome with translation switched on):
Thanks it’s good to know I’m not on my own here! It would appear Vw have dropped the ball as they are advertising it as a 3.5t vehicle, which in theory you can have,
but without any extras! They are discussing adding the spare wheel etc later, which seems nuts as you would be driving around with an overloaded vehicle. Oh well it’s all about compromise so I think I’ll go down the larger vehicle road. What sort of pay load do you have on yours?

Hi AdeyBruce,

I hope you are getting along well with your 680. I have been following your thread with interest and will contact your German dealer for a quote.

We have been waiting for a long time to decide what to do: Normal Cali / 680 / Knaus / Hymer etc. plus there was the UK political situation. Since we had lots of time, we took it. Retirement is now looming and we could do with moving on a new 680 soon.

I have slight reservations about buying the first examples of this model as there are bound to be changes and improvements. One of the main reasons for going for a loo-equipped vehicle of this size is so that we are not limited to campsites etc. It therefore does need a whopper of a leisure battery and that does not seem to be the case.

What improvements could your 680 benefit from with the experience you have amassed so far. Would you say it is fit-for-off-grid with its existing capacity.

Thanks for your time and posts so far.

Hi Hector

I’m now pretty familiar with the GC. Yes it’s had it’s teething problems, mostly originating from the on-board camping computer, so I feel confident that this will be fixed with a software update. If having looked around and decided the GC is the right van for you, I wouldn’t be put off.

I've got all of the electronic driving aids, and they work really well. As a minimum though I’d have the reversing camera, side sensor protection (it is a long van and in tight areas it’s nice to know there’s another set of eyes watching), blind spot sensor.

in Germany the van comes pretty bare (but much cheaper), without even the chairs and table. You may want to ensure you get it to ‘ UK’ spec - apart from the steering wheel on course :)

I chose the van, and specified it entirely with the plan to be off-grid for at least 90% of the time. I’m not disappointed at all, and we’ve used it a lot over the last few month. The only time I hook it up is at home to condition the battery.

You may want to select the diesel heating for max self-sufficiency, if you don’t mind the extra cost. You will want solar, but it’s clear you can save money by fitting it yourself, but otherwise the factory installation is nicely done.

I certainly want more battery storage, but there’s space for that.. I’m just waiting on someone brighter than me working out the electric circuit for it! Currently I’m doing fine with the battery storage, but I’m heading up to a ski resort this weekend so that will put a test on the system.

The van drives like a dream, and is well thought out. Some criticisms just seem irrational to me; like there’s not enough room for 2 people to pass in the corridor. It’s a blooming van, not a house! I’d much rather space was given to storage, equipment , bed etc. vs the occasions when we might want to pass each other in the corridor.

List of ’wants’ so far:
- additional battery storage
- decent inverter, and rewire some of the 240v plugs to it
- suspension lift (mine is the 4 Motion and I head off-road quite a bit)
- battery booster to improve charging while driving (Euro 6 engines in VW and Merc shut off the alternator whenever they can)
- perfect fitting storage boxes
- thermal mats for the cab screens
- safe drinking water system (either UV or Reverse Osmosis - plenty of spare room in the water tank cupboard)
- I’ll swap the solar charger for one with Bluetooth so I can see what going on with an app
- sort out a bike rack. Currently my MTB fits under the bed, but I need to take my wife’s bike too

Please pass Herr Miguel my best regards. He’s a decent guy, happy to video chat to talk through any problems. His English is very good (he’s actually Portuguese), and he’ll help you through the export process. I didn’t intend paying tax in Germany, but I still had to pay it as a deposit up front (it was refunded as soon as I proved I had left the EU).
Any more questions, please let me know.
Adrian

I forgot to add another ‘want’. The van is pretty well insulated except the external waste tank I‘ve not done much winter camping (ie above the snow line), but I think the van looks pretty suitable once a waste tank heating pad is fitted.

I forgot to add another ‘want’. The van is pretty well insulated except the external waste tank I‘ve not done much winter camping (ie above the snow line), but I think the van looks pretty suitable once a waste tank heating pad is fitted.
Hi Adeybruce,
Many thanks for your detailed commentary so far as it confirms our decision, ours is actually here and in the dealer compound awaiting a PDI and registration which may take a few weeks?

Please keep it coming.

Will

Hi Hector

I’m now pretty familiar with the GC. Yes it’s had it’s teething problems, mostly originating from the on-board camping computer, so I feel confident that this will be fixed with a software update. If having looked around and decided the GC is the right van for you, I wouldn’t be put off.

I've got all of the electronic driving aids, and they work really well. As a minimum though I’d have the reversing camera, side sensor protection (it is a long van and in tight areas it’s nice to know there’s another set of eyes watching), blind spot sensor.

in Germany the van comes pretty bare (but much cheaper), without even the chairs and table. You may want to ensure you get it to ‘ UK’ spec - apart from the steering wheel on course :)

I chose the van, and specified it entirely with the plan to be off-grid for at least 90% of the time. I’m not disappointed at all, and we’ve used it a lot over the last few month. The only time I hook it up is at home to condition the battery.

You may want to select the diesel heating for max self-sufficiency, if you don’t mind the extra cost. You will want solar, but it’s clear you can save money by fitting it yourself, but otherwise the factory installation is nicely done.

I certainly want more battery storage, but there’s space for that.. I’m just waiting on someone brighter than me working out the electric circuit for it! Currently I’m doing fine with the battery storage, but I’m heading up to a ski resort this weekend so that will put a test on the system.

The van drives like a dream, and is well thought out. Some criticisms just seem irrational to me; like there’s not enough room for 2 people to pass in the corridor. It’s a blooming van, not a house! I’d much rather space was given to storage, equipment , bed etc. vs the occasions when we might want to pass each other in the corridor.

List of ’wants’ so far:
- additional battery storage
- decent inverter, and rewire some of the 240v plugs to it
- suspension lift (mine is the 4 Motion and I head off-road quite a bit)
- battery booster to improve charging while driving (Euro 6 engines in VW and Merc shut off the alternator whenever they can)
- perfect fitting storage boxes
- thermal mats for the cab screens
- safe drinking water system (either UV or Reverse Osmosis - plenty of spare room in the water tank cupboard)
- I’ll swap the solar charger for one with Bluetooth so I can see what going on with an app
- sort out a bike rack. Currently my MTB fits under the bed, but I need to take my wife’s bike too

Please pass Herr Miguel my best regards. He’s a decent guy, happy to video chat to talk through any problems. His English is very good (he’s actually Portuguese), and he’ll help you through the export process. I didn’t intend paying tax in Germany, but I still had to pay it as a deposit up front (it was refunded as soon as I proved I had left the EU).
Any more questions, please let me know.
Adrian
There is a YouTube video by California Chris where he explains the dashboard functions. In the video he points out a Battery Boost button in the lower centre of the dash. I gathered from his explanation that it was used to charge the batteries when standing, but maybe it also functions when driving.
Does your van have this button? If not maybe it can be retrofitted - it is probably only a simple connection to the ECU.

There is a YouTube video by California Chris where he explains the dashboard functions. In the video he points out a Battery Boost button in the lower centre of the dash. I gathered from his explanation that it was used to charge the batteries when standing, but maybe it also functions when driving.
Does your van have this button? If not maybe it can be retrofitted - it is probably only a simple connection to the ECU.
I saw this also and I would assume it to be useful as there is only one battery. Get our 600 in two weeks and I hope we have this function. I cannot find it on the configurator or in the standard equipment:(.

To be more accurate, those are the weights for the gas itself, not for the bottles themselves - so much more weight is saved
The 10.5kg metal propane that I have for my barbecue is 26.2kg in weight so 52 kg for the two needed for gas heating.
A 6 kg metal propane is approx. 15kg in weight, so fuel weight saving is about 37kg.
A 5 kg Gaslight propane is 8.7 kg in weight, so fuel weight saving is 43kg.

So I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a Grand California 680 4Motion from Germany. I thought I’d share my experience, in case it helps others going down this route. I know the new van has divided opinion a bit, and it’s funny as I remember when VW launched the non-Westfalia T5 California :)

Clearly I’m hoping the Euro exchange rate sorts itself out a bit, but with a 13% discount from the dealer a fully spec,d van has come out at around £60K plus VAT.

While I have placed the order (but not got a confirmed build date yet), it’s expected to arrive November/December. I’ve got a few more weeks to confirm the specification so Google translate has been going into overdrive.
What payload do you have in your configuration? It seems that the GC680 does have a bit of a weight problem.

Back