Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordered, now the waiting

Skybird

Skybird

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello Everyone, after a few years with a 20 year old T4 remo conversion (will be for sale soon) working out what we need and what we don't, we have ordered a T6 Beach. I have been lurking about here for a few weeks picking up some great tips and suggestions on spec and what works for some and not for others. We are a little bit worried about the storage as we have built in units at the moment but to be honest this is something that takes weight and as this will be my daily driver (Mrs taking my VRS) the less clutter the better. We have more ikea storage boxes than we could ever use so will find a solution that will fit and make it work.

We went for the DSG, in blackberry, with parking heater (remote) 3 seat bench upgraded the stereo to the fancy app connect (Anyone used this with an iPhone), privacy glass, sensors, exterior pack and the kutamo black.

May get a pod for cooking/longer trips but the cost of those feels a little steep. We have a small portable burner and a cadac so will not got thirsty or hungry.

I have a few months to wait and it is already killing me.

I would like to ask opinions on the following
Did anyone go for Gap insurance ?
Did anyone for for lifeshine ? worth it ?

Thanks,

Jon

Hello Jon,
Congratulations on your purchase. Very nice.
In answer to your questions:
1. In a way. If you look at the Caravan Club, they offer an excellent policy for motorhomes and campervans. One benefit included is, new for old replacement of a new vehicle for the first two years. Its well worth a look. Whilst this isn't GAP insurance it offers the same benefit and amounts to the same thing. You don't pay any extra for it either.
2. I have Autoglym's Lifeshine. It was applied by the dealer before we saw the vehicle. Opinions are divided on whether its worth the cost. We have had our black SE since October so its a bit early to do an appraisal but first indications are good. Just run the jet washer over the paintwork and the dirt seems to fall off and it looks nice and shiny even before youv'e gone near it with a wash mitt. Also, from recollection I think Autoglym Lifeshine has a lifetime guarantee. Although I haven't had cause to call upon that and and am currently unaware of the conditions. The treatment also includes the upholstery and glass. This is where you will notice it. If you spill anything on the seats it just beads up and allows you to mop it up without soaking into the fabric and staining it. Ideal if you have kids or dogs.

Thanks for the tip, on the insurance front. I tend to let my wife deal with the insurance side as she used to work in that industry. We are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club so will have a nose. The dealer is asking £400 for 3 years.

I had Autoglym on the VRS but didn't pay for it. I didnt see the benefit after a few months of washes and use. I take the point on the seats though as we have an 18 month old and a dog. I do plan of making up some covers but a little extra protection wont hurt

Thanks for the tip, on the insurance front. I tend to let my wife deal with the insurance side as she used to work in that industry. We are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club so will have a nose. The dealer is asking £400 for 3 years.

I had Autoglym on the VRS but didn't pay for it. I didnt see the benefit after a few months of washes and use. I take the point on the seats though as we have an 18 month old and a dog. I do plan of making up some covers but a little extra protection wont hurt
We have eight grandchildren ranging from two weeks to twelve years so anything that protects the seats is very welcome. I am not sure if anyone is making those washable seat covers for the three seat bench Beach. If they are I think that they musy be worth a look.

I have a sewing machine and will give it a go, I am planning to make up a shade for the bbq area in the garden so have some nice water resistant fabric. If it goes well I may well be taking orders :D

Welcome Skybird , whats with the avatar....selfportrait?
If you got the place and don't need the money , keep the T4...better than investment on the bank...

Hi Skybird,

We are also in the waiting phase and just had an uh-oh moment. Thought we'd ordered app connect but it's not listed on the order form - we thought it was part of the composition media package. Should we have it listed separately?

If it was an additional extra, does anyone know if it can be retrofitted?

I hate to say this but I believe it should be listed separately or comes as part is Discover Media Plus. Check with your dealer who will also advised on retro fit.

Mike

I hate to say this but I believe it should be listed separately or comes as part is Discover Media Plus. Check with your dealer who will also advised on retro fit.

Mike

oh dear.... have contacted the dealer to check.

Hi Skybird,

We are also in the waiting phase and just had an uh-oh moment. Thought we'd ordered app connect but it's not listed on the order form - we thought it was part of the composition media package. Should we have it listed separately?

If it was an additional extra, does anyone know if it can be retrofitted?
Reading up about the app connect on other VW forums, it seems it may just be an unlock code to get it working -
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15521
Assuming you have the right media player...

Hello Jon

Now you are waiting, reading, waiting, reading ....

Now is the time to start on the first leg of Cali ownership.

This is he accumulation leg. The time spent waiting is spent deciding, then spending, on all those goodies that is going to make your many years of Cali ownership the most blissful, worthwhile and rewarding experience of a lifetime.

The buckets, bowls, levels and blocks, cables and adaptors, spoons and knives, plates and pans, shovels and spades, toppers, bottoms, siders and drive away awnings. Bike racks, bikes to put on the racks ....

The second leg is the disposal leg when you find you need either none of it or something different.

Reading up about the app connect on other VW forums, it seems it may just be an unlock code to get it working -
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15521
Assuming you have the right media player...

I do feel that this maybe a challenge when I finally get the van he didn't seem to know what it was, most dealers are clueless with this kind of thing.

I had to (ah hum) activate the bluetooth on my old VRS as the dealer said it wasn't an option (but was in the rest of europe) but would retrofit a partot kit. It was just a code change in the ECU software, a mate had a cable and software and got a £30 mic to plug in the back of the head unit and job done and worked perfectly. I know the dealer couldn't have done what I did with out bringing down the wrath of Skoda UK but the unit just needed it switching on in the software.

In case anyone needs to do it
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/252899-amunsden-plus-bluetooth-and-microphone-install-how-to/

We shall see I live in hope but I am anticipating issues

Hello Jon

Now you are waiting, reading, waiting, reading ....

Now is the time to start on the first leg of Cali ownership.

This is he accumulation leg. The time spent waiting is spent deciding, then spending, on all those goodies that is going to make your many years of Cali ownership the most blissful, worthwhile and rewarding experience of a lifetime.

The buckets, bowls, levels and blocks, cables and adaptors, spoons and knives, plates and pans, shovels and spades, toppers, bottoms, siders and drive away awnings. Bike racks, bikes to put on the racks ....

The second leg is the disposal leg when you find you need either none of it or something different.

Thanks Jen, love your blog have been reading for some 1st big trip inspiration. Will be going over to Mons to visit an ancestors grave.

We took a few years with the T4 to work out what we did and didn't need hence the beach as it would be more a daily driver than a camper for most of the time. I hope we have made the right choice, its not to late as no confirmed date...

I need to stop reading the T6 delays thread :stop

Thanks Jen, love your blog have been reading for some 1st big trip inspiration. Will be going over to Mons to visit an ancestors grave.

We took a few years with the T4 to work out what we did and didn't need hence the beach as it would be more a daily driver than a camper for most of the time. I hope we have made the right choice, its not to late as no confirmed date...

I need to stop reading the T6 delays thread :stop

I will be in Mons in a few days time visiting St Symphorien,

One of the more pleasant CWG's.

Parking is quite difficult there, busiest time is August as that was when the British first arrived, and four years later finally arrived again....

oh dear.... have contacted the dealer to check.
App Connect is a specific option? Do you have a confirmed build date yet? If not you should be able to add it. If your build date is confirmed that may not be possible. Not sure if it can be retro-fitted. Don't see why not as it is just a licence key but we're talking VW here!

Are you intending to use it with Apple or Android? I have it and am using it with Apple. I would say that it isn't currently worth the money. There are not enough apps available. Android may be different and I guess (I hope) Apple will start to allow / encourage more apps soon.

App Connect is a specific option? Do you have a confirmed build date yet? If not you should be able to add it. If your build date is confirmed that may not be possible. Not sure if it can be retro-fitted. Don't see why not as it is just a licence key but we're talking VW here!

Are you intending to use it with Apple or Android? I have it and am using it with Apple. I would say that it isn't currently worth the money. There are not enough apps available. Android may be different and I guess (I hope) Apple will start to allow / encourage more apps soon.
Hi DM,

Our van is currently in transit to the UK, but thankfully (!) our dealer has clarified that we had ordered it... so all good there. Now we just need to get it working when it's here in a couple of weeks. We will be using it on Apple, and largely for Spotify and Google Maps. Have you found it ok on these apps?

Hi DM,

Our van is currently in transit to the UK, but thankfully (!) our dealer has clarified that we had ordered it... so all good there. Now we just need to get it working when it's here in a couple of weeks. We will be using it on Apple, and largely for Spotify and Google Maps. Have you found it ok on these apps?
I use app connect for my iPhone.
I think it only uses Apple maps not google maps.
I've found that to be pretty good though. Haven't got Spotify so can't comment.
I really like the CarPlay connectivity.

Hi DM,

That's good news. If you have a search around in old threads you will find loads of stuff about apple maps. Basically I find it excellent. Used it throughout France last year on a cycling holiday. Biggest issue is connectivity but Apple changed the way it works. As long as you have a connection when you search for your destination it will load the maps and still work fine even if you lose signal. Very useful as a free Satnav.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk