Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Orange Engine warning light

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
On the way to Bridgwater on Saturday the Orange Engine warning light came on. So I pulled over & consulted the manual which says 'Fault in Catalytic Converter' & to 'Decrease speed. Drive carefully to the next qualified workshop. Have engine checked.'
I drove to Rideway VW in Oxford. They said they have no technitions on Saturday afternoon & I would need to go to a van centre anyway. But their workshop would also be closed.
I called Roadside Assistance & 1 hour & twenty minutes later RAC man turned up. Found fault code 5120 = O2 sensor fault. Checked leads & hoses, but could not make fault disappear. Eventually he cleared fault & left van ticking over for 20 mins. I took for test drive & light did not come back on. Was told to carry on with journey. If light came back on OK to carry on as long as it was not flashing or red.
130 miles later light came on again & has stayed on. So van has to go to van centre this week.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the actual fault code to display in the dash? My old astra you held brake & accelerator depressed & turned ignition on & any store fault codes would scroll on dash.

Are you sure it's not the DPF?

If it's DPF they'll need to force a regeneration with the diagnostic tool.

If it's an 02 sensor then I guess it'll need replacing.

You can't get codes on the dash sadly. You can buy hand held code scanners for not a lot or you can get the Dealer tool equivalent which is what I have - http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

Keep us posted.

For future reference I would always try an insist on a VAG Technician from the RAC. They have a fleet of VAG trained guys who also carry the VAS dealer Diagnostic tool as well as having access to the latest technical information and often carry common parts.

Stu it is definitely not the DPF. RAC guy said he's seen them being 'regenerated' & they heat them up so hot they glow in order to burn off the carbon. All done with VAG diag software.

The guy had a nice little Panasonic Toughbook with all manufacturers diagnostics software on it ! Including VAG, that is how he read & cleared the code.

Ahh sounds like you got a VAG tech then. The Toughbook is the newer type they use for VAS.

Booked into MK Van Centre Tuesday 29th to have this sorted under warranty.

Wow that's a long time off considering it told you to go directly to the service centre.

Ridgeway VW .. Stay away nuff said. They used to have vans at another site thankfully not anymore.

Wow that's a long time off considering it told you to go directly to the service centre.

That's the soonest they can do it. As it is a constantly on orange light & Cali has not lost power & drives as normal they are happy for me to drive it till then, but if anything changes to get Roadside Assist to recover it to MK Van Centre.
If it was red it would be different, it would already have been recovered to van centre & I'd have a loan, weather they can do it today or next week.

The engine management light in the handbook does say catlytic converter fault. I would imagine that they will be replacing the sensor. There is no way of getting fault codes to display no the dash either.

cheers

The engine management light in the handbook does say catlytic converter fault. I would imagine that they will be replacing the sensor. There is no way of getting fault codes to display no the dash either.

Thanks for that Alex

Took Cali into Wayside Van Centre today, just collected it. They replaced the O2 sensor.
Asked about engine oil & they gave me a litre can free !!

Does anyone know where the 02 sensor is & what the part number is as I also have constant orange light - no performance issues so if a cheap part figured i might as well change it and see what happens?

Does anyone know where the 02 sensor is & what the part number is as I also have constant orange light - no performance issues so if a cheap part figured i might as well change it and see what happens?

I seem to have the same issue here. According to VW technicians driving slow in road jams and also bio fuel addition to the diesel are fouling the lambda sonde.
After VW reset the alarm, it returned after a traffic jam. VW advised to drive for at least 30 minutes continuous with 2200-2300rpm to ensure proper regeneration in the motor.
Unfortunately this did not remove the fault in the dash. Will ha e to visit VW garage again.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

It later turned out the sensor was broken and was replaced. Since then the issue is history.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Back