Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opinions on Flappy Paddle Option on California T6 Ocean DSG

Hi Jabberwocky. Where did you get such good info re paddle shift on DSG orders?
My order went through in October and following the Cofigurator I ordered the more expensive MFSW with displays etc.
The configurator shows nothing about paddles at present.
Do you think I should automatically get the paddles, which I want, as it was a post August order?
If you ordered the more expensive SW - £360 you should get the FP's. Check your quote and order from your dealer if you are in doubt. Did you get a print out from your dealer from the "Car Dealer Configurator". This gives all your options with Part Codes. Loz's latest comment confirms ZE7 is the SW without FP's by the way.

If you ordered the more expensive SW - £360 you should get the FP's. Check your quote and order from your dealer if you are in doubt. Did you get a print out from your dealer from the "Car Dealer Configurator". This gives all your options with Part Codes. Loz's latest comment confirms ZE7 is the SW without FP's by the way.

Just did a check. I did order the more expensive wheel and I've got ZEA which is great.
I wasn't able to check the Dealer Configurator because, as I am an ex VW Group HQ employee, my order has gone through staff sales...but a quick call to them confirmed ZEA.
Thanks very much for the info

Just did a check. I did order the more expensive wheel and I've got ZEA which is great.
I wasn't able to check the Dealer Configurator because, as I am an ex VW Group HQ employee, my order has gone through staff sales...but a quick call to them confirmed ZEA.
Thanks very much for the info
So glad to be of help to an Ex VW employee. It shows I must have mastered the vagrancies of the VW options system ;)

So glad to be of help to an Ex VW employee. It shows I must have mastered the vagrancies of the VW options system ;)

Not many people can say that! How are you able to view the options system? Do you know of any other Spec. tweaks thay are proposing for the new models?:)

TJ, you are correct but that was only true in August 2015. The codes I quoted above are current today for new ordered Calis.

I'm quoting what is in my service book as of Nov '16.

Not many people can say that! How are you able to view the options system? Do you know of any other Spec. tweaks thay are proposing for the new models?:)
No special skills really. I am just extremely observant, pay close attention to detail and very nosy when talking to dealers. Its amazing what they have on their desks. We should always remember that all these lists etc are made by people and translated from German into English so there is an inbuilt vagueness in some product/option descriptions. Probably the most important for me is I never like to leave a meeting, no matter in what environment, with a lack of understanding of what I am getting. So I always ask "what is this", "what's different", "in what way has this changed" etc. The dealers do have a list of all the option code numbers and you can ask them for these for your options but be sure you understand the description and what you are actually getting. The Dealer Configurator is different to the public online version. Your nice new Cali is ordered on their system not the public one - this is really important to understand as they are often different due to updates/changes coming first to the Dealer version. You can get a lot of the option codes from this web site http://vag-codes.info/ but it needs updating so your dealer is the best source for up to date/accurate information. Make the salesman your friend (That may be hard but its worth the investment - believe me, but do not let that compromise your negotiation with him/her!!). New tweaks? Salesmen/women will tell you if you keep in regular contact. All sales folks like new stuff to talk about, they are sick about what was new last month - its not new anymore, they actually want to talk about the latest this, that or the other. Just remember that changes to specs after ordering can result in delays in delivery. There are plenty of comments on this site on that topic. Anyway for me part of this buying process is all this detail - it helps the waiting process!! :thumb:thumb

I'm quoting what is in my service book as of Nov '16.
That's as maybe but I assure you I am correct. Is the service book is printed? Its bound to be out of date if it is. No printed document can keep up with spec changes and amendments. That age old "......the information printed was correct at time of going to press" and then there's the "Volkswagen reserve the right....." etc etc.

I assume this is from your data sticker in the service book. If it says 2ZH it is definitely a Leather Multi-Function SW but with no paddles. Sorry not to be able to give you good news. Hope you can negotiate with your dealer. Keep us updated.

I assume this is from your data sticker in the service book.
Yes, printed last week 29 Oct 2016
If it says 2ZH it is definitely a Leather Multi-Function SW but with no paddles.

I know that, since my car has no paddles. Didn't expect it to have :)

My reason for posting was that the codes that have been included here are not on my lists of codes.
Admittedly I used old vag-codes site to check them. I think I may have confused the issue.
I shall step away now :D

Yes, printed last week 29 Oct 2016

I know that, since my car has no paddles. Didn't expect it to have :)

My reason for posting was that the codes that have been included here are not on my lists of codes.
Admittedly I used old vag-codes site to check them. I think I may have confused the issue.
I shall step away now :D
No worries - happy Calitrips :thumb:thumb

Just an observation for those waiting on their Cali's with or without paddles and driving experience of my Cali so far.

As I have mine a 204 DSG Ocean and it is getting replaced with the correct one a 4Motion I am still in the daft position of reading these threads and thinking do I want this do I want that, should I check this etc, be glad when I have another build date and can't change.

So one of the things I could possibly change/check is the Flappy Paddle option. Having had DSG for for over 12 years I am very familiar with what it can do and to be honest I can't see any point in having the paddles, also if you want them they can't do any harm. Today in the interests of science I put the Cali through its paces around the Mendip hills, for a number of reasons, primarily to see what the handling was like so I can compare when I get the the 4 Motion, to see how easily I could shift gear in manual and to be honest it was a lovely day and they are great roads to safely test the Cali on.
On the handling, it is very good, Cali is standard other than the Heavy duty anti roll bars and it will be interesting to see if I can detect much improvement with the 4Motion. With the advice I have received and on my experience so far I will not be getting it lowered.
On the Manual mode it was lovely, I can't see me ever using it except on steep hills but it was very easy to switch between the gears. As those of you who have one will know the gear lever is very close to the left hand side of the steering wheel, on a right hand drive, when you change it to manual it's just a slight push to the right which makes it even closer to the steering wheel. I could change gears manually with just my left little finger and both hands on the wheel.
So the verdict for me is I will not be calling the dealer to enquire if mine has the paddles because it will make no difference to me. It might just make a slight difference on a left hand drive as I presume the proximity to the steering wheel of the DSG is slightly different.

For the record I potter round in the Cali like a Sunday afternoon driver because that's how it makes me feel when I drive it, but it is nice to know it can shift when I want it too.

Observation when it is in manual the gear indicator tells you what gear it is in and if you push hard also what gear it would be in automatic mode/prefer you to be in. It is an amazing gearbox.

Mike

Just an observation for those waiting on their Cali's with or without paddles and driving experience of my Cali so far.

As I have mine a 204 DSG Ocean and it is getting replaced with the correct one a 4Motion I am still in the daft position of reading these threads and thinking do I want this do I want that, should I check this etc, be glad when I have another build date and can't change.

So one of the things I could possibly change/check is the Flappy Paddle option. Having had DSG for for over 12 years I am very familiar with what it can do and to be honest I can't see any point in having the paddles, also if you want them they can't do any harm. Today in the interests of science I put the Cali through its paces around the Mendip hills, for a number of reasons, primarily to see what the handling was like so I can compare when I get the the 4 Motion, to see how easily I could shift gear in manual and to be honest it was a lovely day and they are great roads to safely test the Cali on.
On the handling, it is very good, Cali is standard other than the Heavy duty anti roll bars and it will be interesting to see if I can detect much improvement with the 4Motion. With the advice I have received and on my experience so far I will not be getting it lowered.
On the Manual mode it was lovely, I can't see me ever using it except on steep hills but it was very easy to switch between the gears. As those of you who have one will know the gear lever is very close to the left hand side of the steering wheel, on a right hand drive, when you change it to manual it's just a slight push to the right which makes it even closer to the steering wheel. I could change gears manually with just my left little finger and both hands on the wheel.
So the verdict for me is I will not be calling the dealer to enquire if mine has the paddles because it will make no difference to me. It might just make a slight difference on a left hand drive as I presume the proximity to the steering wheel of the DSG is slightly different.

For the record I potter round in the Cali like a Sunday afternoon driver because that's how it makes me feel when I drive it, but it is nice to know it can shift when I want it too.

Observation when it is in manual the gear indicator tells you what gear it is in and if you push hard also what gear it would be in automatic mode/prefer you to be in. It is an amazing gearbox.

Mike
Sports Mode?:Stig

Do you have to change to manual if you want to use flappy paddles? Say if I want to downshift to brake with the engine, can I just use paddle without changing to manual mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, for those speccing ACC, if you select the more expensive 130mph version over the cheaper 99mph version, it comes with a "free" MFSW. So the 130mph ACC works out cheaper than the 99mph ACC then adding the MFSW as a cost option. At least on the online configurator anyway

Mike

Mike
I've not tried it yet and probably won't with my own! If you leave it in manual and forget to change will it change automatically rather than over rev and automatically change down if it needs to?
I have noticed that if it's coasting a simple move over to manual gives engine breaking. Moving back to auto it coasts again.

Mike
I've not tried it yet and probably won't with my own! If you leave it in manual and forget to change will it change automatically rather than over rev and automatically change down if it needs to?
I have noticed that if it's coasting a simple move over to manual gives engine breaking. Moving back to auto it coasts again.
Yep it will automatically change in both directions. I will do a bit more testing and confirm exactly how far next time I'm out.

Mike

Yep it will automatically change in both directions. I will do a bit more testing and confirm exactly how far next time I'm out.

Mike
Can we use yours as a Test Bed?:D

Can we use yours as a Test Bed?:D
Being very gentle with it. Strangely even more careful than if it was mine properly. Running in to the book, keeping batteries charged like I've been told and keeping the Alcantara seats nice and clean. Will be a good buy for someone. Not had any issues with anything.

Mike

Ok! Seems that in manual it lets you be 2 gears away from what it would like you to be in and then changes for you. Same as my Touran .

Quick story on that. Had it for 12 years, 100k on clock and before giving it to my middle lad had full service, MOT, 4 new tyres and cambelt done.

He collected on a Wednesday and Friday afternoon he was on a main road and was T boned by a young lady who was in her dads car and Touran was written off. She was in Diesel Beamer which had minimal damage. Nobody injured as it was not that high speed but it took out the B pillar which made it uneconomic to repair. Both vehicles insured with Direct Line who after a bit of negotiation paid out above market value due to condition. He was gutted and we are now trying to replace it. Nobody hurt though

Mike

Do you have to change to manual if you want to use flappy paddles? Say if I want to downshift to brake with the engine, can I just use paddle without changing to manual mode?

Good question. As I don't have one I resorted to reading the manual.
My reading of it tells me that there are two paddles on the steering wheel, one on the right for + and on the left for -. It says that you can use these with the selector in D, S or in the tiptronic gate and that holding the + for 1 second will deactivate it as long as selector is not in the tiptronic gate.

So from my reading of it the answer to your question is yes you can go straight to the paddles without changing to manual mode. makes it a bit more desireable.

Page 249 of the manual.

Page 248 also gives some good tips on how to rock the vehicle backwards and forwards with a DSG if stuck in snow or mud.

Mike

My reading of it tells me that there are two paddles on the steering wheel, one on the right for + and on the left for -. It says that you can use these with the selector in D, S or in the tiptronic gate and that holding the + for 1 second will deactivate it as long as selector is not in the tiptronic gate.

So from my reading of it the answer to your question is yes you can go straight to the paddles without changing to manual mode. makes it a bit more desireable.

Page 249 of the manual.

Page 248 also gives some good tips on how to rock the vehicle backwards and forwards with a DSG if stuck in snow or mud.

Mike
Thank you.
Has anyone tried direct downshifting with paddles for engine braking? Or downshifting before overtaking to get more power?

Page 249 of the manual.

Mike
This sounds exactly like Volvo implementation of paddles that I didn't buy :)

Back