Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Open rear door from the inside

D

dirk

I hit one of those metal tree protections and somehow the rear door got stuck. With the 2 chairs stowed in place it is very difficult to reach the lock. I did go to a VW dealer here in Portugal, but with very little experience with this model they did not manage to solve the problem. Before they cut a hole in the door .... I would like to know if there are other ways to open the rear door from the inside. Thanks. Dirk

This problem has cropped up before, and as far as I know, the only way in is destructive - i.e. via drilling a hole in the tailgate (ideally, if the mechanic can work out where to drill, quite a small hole would enable you to trip the latch and get in - the hole could then be made quite inconspicuous with a pop rivet), and I know that some UK owners have had to have the rear shelf and chair area sawn into to get at it.

Does anyone on here know if another way has been found??

I've met people this has happened to, and they have been well annoyed at the consequences of a minor ding - or even the latch mechanism falling off. I dismantled my tailgate and installed an 'emergency release' line, a very fiddly job, but which would enable me to get in if need be and repair things without damage - but sorry, dirk, that is not much help to you now!!

I hope someone on here is able to come up with an alternative.

Lewis

Seems as though no-one has any bright ideas . . . . . .

???

I spoke to my local Van Centre service Manager today, and they know of know way in other than breaking in, whether from outside or inside he didn't say.

Best of luck

Lewis

Thank you for your posts.
The mechanic who has been working on my Cali managed to get his hand behind the black fabric and cardboard (?) parts of the chair storage. It seems somehow a rod came loose (now I have a small rod with a black ball at the end...). Problem is he does not know where to pull or push to make the lock function. He has been poking around randomly with a hook but with no success. So if unavoidable, he also does not know where to drill a hole neither, if this would be the best solution. His technical service documentation from VW is also not very clear on this point. It's only a set of sketches and refers mainly to the installation process of new lock unit. Unfortunately the dealer does not have another Cali on hand to check things out. So if somebody could help me with this issue, maybe a picture, that would be great. Otherwise I will report on Tuesday how the problem was resolved ... I hope :)

Me again. Only drill a hole if you know precisely where to drill, if you don't know, don't drill. The advantage of this method is that a small hole in the right place would enable you to trip the lock with a screwdriver, and if in the right place, is less destructive than some of the alternatives. But you would have to make a template from another tailgate to get if right.

Your guy has done well to get in as far as he has. The piece you mention sounds like the rod from the outside lever down to the actual release. It is now 2 years since my brother and I dismantled mine to install my emergency release, but I think that pulling the handle back pushes that rod down. So, if he tries pushing down with something inside the door rather than hooking up, he may strike lucky.

My release line runs from that mechanism down through a hole in the plastic cover we made, then along the bottom of the tailgate secured / concealed by tape.

Good luck.

Lewis

I had a 07 T5 panel van with a tailgate in the past.

I remember that these vans have a small removable access panel in the door card which allows you to get to the lock mechanism from inside.
Having a look at one of these in the dealer may help with the template.

Alan

AlanC said:
I had a 07 T5 panel van with a tailgate in the past.

I remember that these vans have a small removable access panel in the door card which allows you to get to the lock mechanism from inside.
Having a look at one of these in the dealer may help with the template.

Alan

Further to my comment above. While poking around our Cali today, I discovered a rubber bung in a 25mm hole on the inside at the bottom of the tailgate behind the lower edge of the seat pocket.

The bung pulls out easily and a release is located behind there.

Problem would seem to me to be getting access from inside when the tailgate is closed and the bed board is in place.

Ours is a 2010 facelift van so may well be different on other versions of course. Will have another look and post a picture later this week.

Alan

Well, I'am just back from the VW dealer. The mechanic specialized in "interiors, doors and roofs" took 5 hours to resolve the problem (or at least I paid for 5 hours ...(I did not have to pay for the 2 hours of another not specialized mechanic who had tried to solve the problem last week)). Nothing is broken and all seems to be the same as before. He managed somehow to open the tail gate and than rebuild and repaired the lock (a new one, I was informed is quite expansive, so maybe I was better of paying for the 5 hours...). I did not talk directly to the mechanic so I am not sure exactly how he opened the door, as soon as I can speak to him I will post his answers.
I did find the small rubber bung (yesterday night) and it seems to be a back up solution for opening the tail gate from the inside. But whatever I tried, and it does make the clicking sound of unlatching if pushed up, it did not release the lock.
Thank you all for your replies and concern.

Dirk

Well done that guy!! It would be really good to know how he did it, as several people have shelled out big money for repairs on this, and repairs to the items damaged gaining entry to the rear door mechanism.

It sound as though the connecting rod had just slipped off or been knocked off - I think it is a sort of ball joint connection.

Glad you got sorted, and keep us posted!!

Lewis

It does look as if the hole with the bung in is there partly to enable the door to be opened from the inside.
This is the view into the hole showing a lever which is part of the actual latch mechanism.
This lever has to be pressed DOWN to release the latch.

P1170771small_zps8e7628af.jpg

This shows how the hole is clear of the floor in the rear with the door closed.

P1170772small_zps84fc9e25.jpg

The above are taken with the chair bag removed so that I could get a clear idea of how it worked.

So, to open the door from the inside it is necessary to unload everything from the back, remove the bung and press the lever. I have left the bung out as I think it is very difficult to get it out with the seat bag in position. Bit of contortionism required but doable without too much trouble.
As a back up I have also fastened a bit of wire to the other side of the lever (this bit has to be pulled UP to release) and run it behind the seat bag and out into the pull handle. Needs tidying up but works OK.

P1170779small_zps6247bead.jpg

P1170781small_zps14ddbdf1.jpg

That looks excellent, and also fiddly, far less hassle and damaging than the alternatives.

I guess a lot of Calis will have their tailgates open at the weekend . . . . .

Thanks

Lewis

Thank you for posting pictures. The pictures saved my day. I can confirm that it is possible to open the door from the inside without destroying anything. I have a 2007 Cali.

You need a bit of patience, a flashlight and a pair of pliers.

I also looked at a friends 2012 Cali and it's a little bit harder on my 2007, but the systems are similar. I think the pictures posted here are from a newer car than mine.

First thing you need to do is to open the zipper to the chair storage and you get a bit more wiggle room. You need to use some force. It's possible to reach the latch with your finger, but I needed the pilers to get enough power to open the door.

Blue Skies,
/David

Thank you for all your replies, although I'm still scratching my head as to how the crampons will help, after reading the thread and drilling a couple of holes I managed to get it open. I will post an explanation on how to do it in the next few days, I can't emphasise enough that for the sake of half an hours work it could save a lot of pain should the same thing happen to you.
Thanks again Chris

I shut mine with the chair bag open and it caught in the lock mechanism jamming the tailgate. don't do that

I shut mine with the chair bag open and it caught in the lock mechanism jamming the tailgate. don't do that

Was the lock jammed and what did you do to open it?

Yes it was stuck . but a bit of messing with the handle and the remote locking it suddenly released . don't know why

I've just got back from Belgium/France and I too had an issue while away.....i pulled over into a parking bay to look at an address and the put my van in reverse to pull back from the car parked in front of me and then suddenly my reverse sensors went off and bump I've hit a car parking being me on a no park zone,so I get out and the woman driver is walking away so I about after here and she just ignores me....

So I check for damage and can't we any so just get back In and go to my campsite but when I get there a closer look reveals small denying around the lock area and the back door wouldn't open.......i look at this thread and got my door open but we've been climbing over the seat for a week......now back and I'm going to have to look at the problem I'm hoping it's just knocked the lock pins and they can be put back together any advice or pictures would be good if anyone has managed the same issue

Well it seems a common thing, had the boot open yesterday today it wont open...
The electric release was operating but the latch not releasing. I can confirm its not easy but is possible to get in without destroying anything except your sanity...
It involves taking everything out the back and getting in, make yourself comfy and gradually work the zip on the seat store open. Putting a tie wrap on it makes this easier to do. Once open you can access the rubber bung take it out and just put your finger in and press the latch down. Hey presto you are in or should I say out :)
Once open I found the operating rod had dropped out of the latch, its clipped into a small plastic retainer. The fix involves taking the entire chair store off to access the rod mechanism.

Inspired by this thread I popped the back off of my 2008 SE, looking for the "bung" that had been described elsewhere. I undid about half a dozen of the black trim clips that hold the seat bag in place, and 4 torx screws , two in the black piece that separates the chairs and screws into the tailgate and two in the inside strap. That allowed the innards to be moved enough to take a proper look . Nothing there allow access to the lock at all.

A bit of fettling of the inner grey board and I could see what I was getting at.

IMG_20210529_144318045.jpg

I ended up drilling two holes in the board off centre, that are covered by the seat bag when I put it back but they give me clean access to the mechanism from the inside now - or at least a fighting chance, if I can get the bag unzipped :)

IMG_20210529_145830318_HDR.jpg

I’ve thought before the tailgate could be improved by allowing you to open it (or at least the window) from the inside. Be nice to be able to pop it when you’re in bed?

On our conversion they put in a tailgate release button in the trim just under the rear window so the tailgate can be used as an emergency exit if ever needed.

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I undid most of the trim in order to clean broken glass from the back window and to do this hack along the way. I say most because I figured than I would do more harm than good trying to remove the screws in the nut rivets that turn endlessly.
Problem is I did the rooky mistake and forgot to document some of the disassembly. Useless to say after a couple weeks (I can't often work on the van and was waiting for the plastic screws replacement) I forgot the placement of some screws.
A also disformed the metal piece that the blind hook is attached to near the top and this is such a pain to align the holes that I might check the price for a replacement (sight). Also some spare metal clips...
Do any of you have by chance the diagram for the california to get the placement and part numbers?. I can't seem to find this specific one (with the chair bag and blind).
A picture would also maybe help. I mostly found a set of grey plastic plugs and metal washers that I don't remember where they fit. Shame on me!

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I undid most of the trim in order to clean broken glass from the back window and to do this hack along the way. I say most because I figured than I would do more harm than good trying to remove the screws in the nut rivets that turn endlessly.
Problem is I did the rooky mistake and forgot to document some of the disassembly. Useless to say after a couple weeks (I can't often work on the van and was waiting for the plastic screws replacement) I forgot the placement of some screws.
A also disformed the metal piece that the blind hook is attached to near the top and this is such a pain to align the holes that I might check the price for a replacement (sight). Also some spare metal clips...
Do any of you have by chance the diagram for the california to get the placement and part numbers?. I can't seem to find this specific one (with the chair bag and blind).
A picture would also maybe help. I mostly found a set of grey plastic plugs and metal washers that I don't remember where they fit. Shame on me!
1655066329145.png1655066002185.png
1655066042143.png
1655066069509.png
1655066093061.png
1655066117728.png
1655066137595.png

Thanks @matt-k918 ! That's spot on.
So my washers are the 35 on this, which seem to be on the chair bag part. I don't remember where but hopefully it will come back upon inspection. Thanks a lot again!

Back