Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On the verge...

jam_hod

jam_hod

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hey all,

Quick intro, we're a family of 4, with two girls 7 & 3 and my wife.

We've been reading the forum with great enjoyment for the last few weeks and trying to decide if we should jump in with a purchase or wait till next March time (for multiple reasons including job security, amount of use we may get in a new Cali over winter and of course the 6.1) however I think with the deals on right now we're on the verge of buying a 199 DSG in Pearl Black with some great options for a good price. It's not quite perfect as is doesn't have Privacy glass which we wanted nor Cascavel black alloys but we can retrofit the alloys and the dealer will get the windows tinted.

If anyone has any recent advice on tinting an Ocean with double glazing (even better if Pearl Black!) that I can use to ensure the tinting is done the best way possible I would be most grateful. We've read loads of posts on the topic but there are so many different views and suggestions it seems a mine field! I think we're decided on a 20% tint as we don't want it too dark, just enough to add a little privacy, but I'm more concerned about it looking the best with the double glazing and wardrobe....

Thanks all and I'll keep you posted with pics when we jump in....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

With four of you, including two growing girls, I suggest you look at the Beach. It works well as a large family car, or spacious family sleeping accommodation for four.

The T6.1 Beach, if or when available in the UK, will have the option of a micro kitchen or second sliding door on the passenger side.

With four of you, including two growing girls, I suggest you look at the Beach. It works well as a large family car, or spacious family sleeping accommodation for four.

The T6.1 Beach, if or when available in the UK, will have the option of a micro kitchen or second sliding door on the passenger side.
We've been having this exact debate, but I think decided in the end on the Ocean, certainly for now but maybe in a couple of years the Beach may be a better option. We like all the options which are standard on the Ocean as well as the storage areas. Our view (rightly or wrongly) in the end has been that if we buy now and decide we've made a mistake or for any other reason need to sell, that if we've bought with a really good discount we shouldn't lose too much in 12 months!?

We've been having this exact debate, but I think decided in the end on the Ocean, certainly for now but maybe in a couple of years the Beach may be a better option. We like all the options which are standard on the Ocean as well as the storage areas. Our view (rightly or wrongly) in the end has been that if we buy now and decide we've made a mistake or for any other reason need to sell, that if we've bought with a really good discount we shouldn't lose too much in 12 months!?

Good - it sounds like you have properly considered the Beach option.

Last Monday school closed after lunch so the teachers could attend a colleague’s funeral. Another dad and I took our four children out for the afternoon with all four in child seats. There are not many family cars which will take four or five child seats.

Good - it sounds like you have properly considered the Beach option.

Last Monday school closed after lunch so the teachers could attend a colleague’s funeral. Another dad and I took our four children out for the afternoon with all four in child seats. There are not many family cars which will take four or five child seats.
Mak that none, apart from very large SUV's, but the 2 most back seats are worth nothing once the kids start to grow legs.
So the only option left is a VAN! But nowaday vans don't lack the feeling and luxury of "normal" cars anymore. So it is no punishment driving one.

Mak that none, apart from very large SUV's, but the 2 most back seats are worth nothing once the kids start to grow legs.
So the only option left is a VAN! But nowaday vans don't lack the feeling and luxury of "normal" cars anymore. So it is no punishment driving one.

I think that the Alhambra takes 5 child seats, all with Isofix, which is one more Isofix point than the 7 seat Beach.

Discovery 5 has 3 isofix across the rear beach which is quite nice. Disco 4 rear/rear 2 seats are good with good access with the middle rear seat down. However it is hassle/ especially when trying to reach around to do a 3 year old’s seat belt!!

The caravelle with built in child seats and 2 rear isofix is awesome. My favourite vehicle!! The built in child seats on the middle row are so well designed and solid.

The Tesla model X had a really good optional 6 seat layout- but expensive and electric...

I think that the Alhambra takes 5 child seats, all with Isofix, which is one more Isofix point than the 7 seat Beach.
You are talking about the 1996 - 2010 VW/Seat/Ford Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy? Yes, that is the closest you can get to the versatility of the Transporter / van layout.
The newer Sharan/Alhambra isn't that versatile anymore.

The caravelle with built in child seats and 2 rear isofix is awesome. My favourite vehicle!! The built in child seats on the middle row are so well designed and solid.
That’s the same as my Beach - two Isofix points on the 3 seat bench and two middle row captain’s chairs with integrated Group 2/3 seats. The boys love those middle row seats, but they come out before we go camping.

I find my Beach such a versatile vehicle. Day to day it’s a seven seat MPV, and morphs into a five seat / five berth camper some weekends and for holidays.

Thanks for all the replies, luckily we only need the 2 isofix which the Ocean has and aren't planning on needing anymore.

However it may be in the future when our 2 children get bigger than more space inside might be useful and a Beach could be a good option.

Thanks for all the replies, luckily we only need the 2 isofix which the Ocean has and aren't planning on needing anymore.

However it may be in the future when our 2 children get bigger than more space inside might be useful and a Beach could be a good option.
Or a little Eriba?

Best thing is: a very small one is lower and smaller than the California, so there would be close to no drag.
And if you have a two tone Cali, paint the Eriba in the same setting: a Cali behind a Cali.

I recently purchased the Ocean, but in hindsight I think the extra room in the Beach may have been the better option. I think we could have managed well without the cooker and sink.

Go for it! Sound pretty much perfect for your spec. requirement if it's just the new wheels and tint you want (both easily sorted) and you'll save a small fortune compared to the 6.1.

Thanks for all your replies and advice.

So to update everyone...... we've just bought a new Starlight Blue Ocean 150DSG, with Privacy Glass and the Cascavel Alloys we wanted as well having LED headlights, Adaptive Cruise, Shower, Heated screen, comfort mattress App Connect, towbar plus a few other extras, for an even better price with nearly 17% discount off retail.

It's at UK port so hopefully with us in a couple of weeks.... we're really excited!!

We decided in the end not to go for the Pearl Black one and carry on looking to try and find the spec we wanted rather than retro fitting bits, I'm glad we did as we found what I think is near perfect match for our wanted list of options and in our close 2nd choice colour

Hey all,

Quick intro, we're a family of 4, with two girls 7 & 3 and my wife.

We've been reading the forum with great enjoyment for the last few weeks and trying to decide if we should jump in with a purchase or wait till next March time (for multiple reasons including job security, amount of use we may get in a new Cali over winter and of course the 6.1) however I think with the deals on right now we're on the verge of buying a 199 DSG in Pearl Black with some great options for a good price. It's not quite perfect as is doesn't have Privacy glass which we wanted nor Cascavel black alloys but we can retrofit the alloys and the dealer will get the windows tinted.

If anyone has any recent advice on tinting an Ocean with double glazing (even better if Pearl Black!) that I can use to ensure the tinting is done the best way possible I would be most grateful. We've read loads of posts on the topic but there are so many different views and suggestions it seems a mine field! I think we're decided on a 20% tint as we don't want it too dark, just enough to add a little privacy, but I'm more concerned about it looking the best with the double glazing and wardrobe....

Thanks all and I'll keep you posted with pics when we jump in....

Buy now; BREXIT and import tariffs will surely raise prices! Thanks Boris!