Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On Board secure area in a Cali 6

P

Pixcels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
As a professional photographer I am used to carrying around quite a bit of very expensive camera gear.
In October I suffered my first vehicle break-in and the loss of a lot of high end equipment - a simple brick through the rear window and yanked up the parcel shelf of my Audi A3.
We now have our brand new Cali 6 and I would really feel happier if I had a secure area to stow my gear.
I am a newcomer to the new campervans, although we've had a couple of old models when the children were growing up, and so far I haven't figured out yet where to stow everything.
Any suggestions on how to create a discrete secure storage area (lockable ?) on board without taking up too much space ?
Something to hold a camera body and three lenses and a few other bits and bobs. Very approximate dimensions 45 x 30 x 15 cms
Is there anything available off the shelf ?

How about fitting a lock to the underseat drawer and putting the equipment in there? I'm sure I have seen mention on the forums of one being fitted...

That's a good thought ... will check it out

You can get a lockable ‘safe’ in the bottom of the wardrobe, it’s a vw factory option...or at least it was on the T5.1

You can get a lockable ‘safe’ in the bottom of the wardrobe, it’s a vw factory option...or at least it was on the T5.1
but you will not get much camera gear in it

I know it’s a sad state of affairs, but a decent insurance policy is probably your best investment. Far better than the scum trashing your Cali interior with crowbars etc because they will generally do whatever it takes if they want your nice stuff.

Leave it in the boot under the bed shelf. If you've left the stopper in the floor rails to stop the seat sliding forward the only way to access the area is to actually open the tailgate. If you want more security than that, add a gun safe/ lockable box fixed down to the floor rails.

Combine it with where possible parking back end close to a wall, barrier etc & its about as secure as you will ever get.

I'm not sure what the interior of a Cali has for locking something to...? My van's a Jerba conversion and I had them fit a ground anchor in one cupboard, but I could also use the metal frame of the rear RIB seats since they're securely bolted in to meet crash testing requirements. I lock any valuable kit such as camera gear I'm carrying to one of these points using a heavy duty bike lock and chain (Sold Secure Gold standard). The kit itself is either stored in a small padlocked flight case or sometimes I just put my padded camera bag inside one of these Pacsafe flexible mesh cages and secure the main bike lock through the mesh.
https://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l...r_10170_color=999&cgid=bag-protectors#start=1
They're available in the UK for around £50.
It may not be enough to stop a determined thief with time and tools but it's going to slow them down at least, and it should prevent a more opportunist smash and grab.

Digital safe mounted under the rear shelf, would also recommend in the boot of your car too.

Zarges box (450 x 290 x 180). Drill four holes in the bottom and clamp the box to the floor rails.
That looks a nice case.
You say "clamp the box to the floor rails" - how would one go about doing that ? Are there special fixings to enable clamping to the rails ?

Yes, I've seen mention of that onboard safe but ours doesn't have one and I think it would be too small anyway.

I'm not sure what the interior of a Cali has for locking something to...? My van's a Jerba conversion and I had them fit a ground anchor in one cupboard, but I could also use the metal frame of the rear RIB seats since they're securely bolted in to meet crash testing requirements. I lock any valuable kit such as camera gear I'm carrying to one of these points using a heavy duty bike lock and chain (Sold Secure Gold standard). The kit itself is either stored in a small padlocked flight case or sometimes I just put my padded camera bag inside one of these Pacsafe flexible mesh cages and secure the main bike lock through the mesh.
https://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l...r_10170_color=999&cgid=bag-protectors#start=1
They're available in the UK for around £50.
It may not be enough to stop a determined thief with time and tools but it's going to slow them down at least, and it should prevent a more opportunist smash and grab.
I have a PacSafe which I used for travelling and it's quite neat. That combined with the ability for locking the sliding storage drawer maybe my best solution.

That looks a nice case.
You say "clamp the box to the floor rails" - how would one go about doing that ? Are there special fixings to enable clamping to the rails ?
£25 - £30 including postage from Germany. You may be able to find a British ebayer offering similar with cheaper postage.

There is quite a lot of space in the battery area under the bonnet. I’ve got an oil top up can and some screen wash in there :thumb

I think the 1st question is What do you do at home?

In the California I just leave it out of sight in its case in the boot under the bed board. The only way to get it out is to open the tailgate, as even moving the bench seat forward doesn’t help as there are 2 large boxes in the way and it is virtually impossible to remove the bed board internally. That cannot be done from inside, unless certain modifications have been made to the tailgate so the thief would have to have the keys, and if they have the keys then you have a much bigger problem on your hands.

A good hiding place inside the van is where the gas bottle is stored. More hassle to take out bottle, but I doubt they would find it. In most cities I carry everything valuable with me or park in a secure car park with a guard. I just assume it’s going to get burgled. If you YouTube van burglaries they are quite shocking. They rip doors off and have no mercy. They can take absolutely everything including clothes and cutlery, and on one even empty the toilet in the floor. I think they would try hard to rip out anything you tried to lock something to. It’s often drugs related so don’t think they care what damage they do.

A good hiding place inside the van is where the gas bottle is stored. More hassle to take out bottle, but I doubt they would find it. In most cities I carry everything valuable with me or park in a secure car park with a guard. I just assume it’s going to get burgled. If you YouTube van burglaries they are quite shocking. They rip doors off and have no mercy. They can take absolutely everything including clothes and cutlery, and on one even empty the toilet in the floor. I think they would try hard to rip out anything you tried to lock something to. It’s often drugs related so don’t think they care what damage they do.
I also set up a little battery powered Ring camera coupled to a WiFi dongle in the van which notifies me on my phone and records if there is movement in the van while I’m away from it.

You can get safes that fit under the driver’s seat. Google: T6 seat safe.
Like this:

Last edited:
Like the look of that little safe, quite pricey but I think it falls down ultimately because of it's size - looks a bit small.

Yes I can see that under the gas bottle would be a neat place to store valuable documents or a bit of cash but not going to cut it for my camera gear !

Back