Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Off road tyre opinions

Not worth the risk running M+S tyres in winter in the EU. If you have an accident I imagine you would be on thin ice wrt to insurance and the authorities.
Whether you'd potentially be prosecuted depends on when/where (varies hugely across continental territories), insurance is another matter of course.

The trouble is, the exact conditions and times when you must have winter tyres on is very varied - even in Germany it's only in "wintry conditions" (I think), but of course you're not going to know in advance what you'll encounter.

In France and Germany I read that M+S are okay until Sep 2024, after that it must be 3PMSF.

Personally I probably wouldn't drive anywhere on the continent between October and April (okay maybe just a quick trip to Belgium, say, where winter tyres aren't mandatory) without 3PMSF marked tyres.

I love Michelin Latitude Cross by the way, but I haven't tried them in snow and unfortunately as said above they're only M+S marked.

If they are being discontinued, maybe they are going to to relaunch them with 3PMSF symbol to comply.
Had them on my joker and found them as good as my crossclimate on my kombi

Just had these fitted to my 2022 Beach. Drive is plusher with no real increase in road noise.
These (Falken Wildpeak A/T - where do they find these names?) seem to be a good option for a 'crossover' tyre, mainly for on-road but with a bit of capability on a muddy campsite etc, so probably a good option for a Cali. From the look of them the sidewall looks closer to a road tyre than to a ruggedised A/T type, and indeed the Latitude Cross, but unless you're going to drive on a lot of rocky trails that's probably fine. And they are 3PMSF marked.

I get that, I think a specific van and layout is a difficult decision and day to day use can easily suggest a different option.

We’re happy but sometimes I wish we had a slightly longer van, but 5.4m is so convenient day to day

We’re in Morzine at the minute and had a couple of nights in the van in the Aire in Les Gets. Worked really really well, enough space for three of us to move around, change, cool and shower, and even in the pop top it was warm too.
We expect this to be a keeper for some time and would probably do a little bigger if we’re able to spend more time travelling in the future with longer trips.
Once you start thinking bigger you’ll probably land up going bigger. We sold our 540 last week and pick up a 6m compact motorhome next week. We were blown away by the additional space we had with the 540 compared to the VW, we then started thinking about what would even more space feel like. Next thing……….

Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus are great! They are quiet and all season. Designed for 90% road and 10% off road. 235/65R17 is the size to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ridden these tires without any modifications? In VW servis they say that 235/65/R17 will be too big. I am currently running 235/55/R17.

Once you start thinking bigger you’ll probably land up going bigger. We sold our 540 last week and pick up a 6m compact motorhome next week. We were blown away by the additional space we had with the 540 compared to the VW, we then started thinking about what would even more space feel like. Next thing……….
Ha ha know what you mean. Having said that we're still amazed about how much more space there is in the van compared to the Cali. We went skiing a few weeks ago and had loads of space to spare, its only on linger summer trips when we have three paddle boards, beach stuff, cycling gear etc etc when it gets a bit crowded.

We're adding some roof rails before out next trip so we can stash the bulky but light things on the roof and that should solve the issue.

so...are there any AT 3PMSF tyres that are stock VW T6.1 size? We are not allowed to put bigger tyres on here in Belgium.

Just had these fitted to my 2022 Beach. Drive is plusher with no real increase in road noise. View attachment 104980

Do you get any rubbing with these size wheels and tyres? I have just collected a new van with 255 45 18 tyres and I find the ride quite bumpy. I like the wheels, they are black Springfields, but I need to go to 235 60 18, in the Cross Climate 2, to improve the tyre wall. This size is 29.1 inches against your 29. It’s either change the tyres, or change the wheels.

Do you get any rubbing with these size wheels and tyres? I have just collected a new van with 255 45 18 tyres and I find the ride quite bumpy. I like the wheels, they are black Springfields, but I need to go to 235 60 18, in the Cross Climate 2, to improve the tyre wall. This size is 29.1 inches against your 29. It’s either change the tyres, or change the wheels.
This is the closest size to fit with no rubbing or speedo errors

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE 2 235/55R18 104V XL​

This is the closest size to fit with no rubbing or speedo errors

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE 2 235/55R18 104V XL​

Thank you, B J G. If the 29 inch won’t fit, this will be my second choice.

Thank you, B J G. If the 29 inch won’t fit, this will be my second choice.
I've got 235/60/17 which are the same as 235/55/18 and not much clearance on rear arch liners for any mud or stones stuck in the tread.
You will lose 26.25mm tyre/arch clearance. Roughly a thumb width.
235/55/18 would lose 14.5mm

I've got 235/60/17 which are the same as 235/55/18 and not much clearance on rear arch liners for any mud or stones stuck in the tread.
You will lose 26.25mm tyre/arch clearance. Roughly a thumb width.
235/55/18 would lose 14.5mm
Thank you, that makes the decision easier. My speedo under reads by 3 mph at 70 mph, so would fit perfectly.

Thank you, that makes the decision easier. My speedo under reads by 3 mph at 70 mph, so would fit perfectly.
My speedo reads 69 at 70 according to Sat Nav. Was 73 at 70 on original tyres. No decimal point correction applied.
Mileage recorded also less than actual which makes fuel usage look worse until corrected.
Just need to remember no error for Speed Cameras.

Just a photo to clarify rear tyre clearance with a 235/60/17 which is the same as a 235/55/18

20230405_141103[1].jpg

Thank you B J G, that looks very close. I don't think that I would want to be any closer than that.

What about a set of these I spotted today.
Cool Jeep

D0235B3A-AB09-4DFA-AA44-0CB0FC9623FB.jpeg

What about a set of these I spotted today.
Cool Jeep
Where did you take the pic?

Cooper (which was recently bought by Goodyear) is closing down its UK production and tech development operation later this year. A lot of their current range used in motorsport are going to be discontinued, I don't know about the 4x4 tyre range although I believe some of those are now being produced in Serbia. They also own the Avon brand, again I'm not sure what will happen with that.

Where did you take the pic?

Cooper (which was recently bought by Goodyear) is closing down its UK production and tech development operation later this year. A lot of their current range used in motorsport are going to be discontinued, I don't know about the 4x4 tyre range although I believe some of those are now being produced in Serbia. They also own the Avon brand, again I'm not sure what will happen with that.

Portugal.
They looked brand new with little use.

Just a photo to clarify rear tyre clearance with a 235/60/17 which is the same as a 235/55/18

View attachment 106847
Many thanks, B J G. I have just had the 235 55 18 Cross Climate 2s fitted. The speedo is now spot on and, in my mind at least, it seems these are quieter. Plenty of room in the wheel arch.

IMG_8742.jpeg