Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean T6.1 roof. VW response

C

CaliforniaSteve

Steve B
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I have just spoken to the dealer about the sinking roof on my new Cali T6.1 Ocean ( It gradually goes down and the internal roof lights stop working after about 20 hours) . I was asked if I put it up and down each day as VW have told them (because of a similar issue with another Cali) that the roof isn't designed to stay up for more than a day and should be lowered and raised each day. This seems very strange as the roof on my previous Cali stayed up fine and in any case the auto roof tension should kick in. I have booked it in for them to check but have a horrible feeling that there is an issue but the VW fix is to tell customers to close and open it again rather than address the problem. Does anyone have any information about this?

I have just spoken to the dealer about the sinking roof on my new Cali T6.1 Ocean ( It gradually goes down and the internal roof lights stop working after about 20 hours) . I was asked if I put it up and down each day as VW have told them (because of a similar issue with another Cali) that the roof isn't designed to stay up for more than a day and should be lowered and raised each day. This seems very strange as the roof on my previous Cali stayed up fine and in any case the auto roof tension should kick in. I have booked it in for them to check but have a horrible feeling that there is an issue but the VW fix is to tell customers to close and open it again rather than address the problem. Does anyone have any information about this?
Many reports of this issue, on several threads, with some success getting dealers to fix it.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/6-1-ocean-pop-up-roof-problems.36439/post-598584

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I reckon we should start a new sub forum to collect the ridiculous statements VW dealers make regarding faults! Like… we need to remove the whole kitchen to look for the window leak.

I had mine sinking on one side, just been to the dealers last week and they have updated the software and said should resolve, will be testing over next couple of days

Mine stays up for days on end and doesn't sink ... ... the VW manual roof and the 3rd party pop-tops on all VW conversions don't sink after a few days. Absolutely ridiculous IMO.

... my van was an ex-display model which sat for around 6 months in the showroom with the roof permanently up so perhaps they fixed mine to avoid the embarrassment of a drooping pop-top in their showroom - I don't know - but they don't all sink.

We have the sinking Ocean roof issue, though was OK when initially delivered July 2021. Dealer has drained and reset the hydraulics and still a problem. Have to call to arrange further visit to dealer today...
Wish me luck!

The dealer has had the van for a couple of days to test the roof ( it sags after about 18hours and the roof lights won't work.

They have given me a copy of the VW technical note as follows

"Since model year 2020 the customer -specific functions control unit checks the upright roof after 10 hours. This is followed by an enquiry whether the roof has lowered. If yes it is pumped up again and another enquiry follows after 5 hours.

If the roof has not lowered after10 hours no further checks takes place and there is also no further pumping up.

Lowering of the pop-up roof over a longer stationary period is permitted. Indication about 10 to 20 cm after three days."

The roof on my previous vehicle stayed up for days. For my new vehicle, I have to raise the roof every evening which is a disappointing especially given the cost of the vehicle. The dealer told me that this is fairly common on the T6.1 Ocean

Does anyone know where to find these technical notes that VW issue to their dealers.

Back