Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean (hopefully) arriving this month

N

Nik Boyd

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Having done quite a bit of research into the merits of the Beach and Ocean we put in an order for an Ocean a few months ago and hopefully should arrive this month. We've gone for the 4motion engine with diff lock as we have every intention of taking it out in Scottish winter.

I'm a teacher and DofE manager for my school so it will make the summer expeditions a bit more comfortable too - can't see that the kids will be impressed. Looking forwards to getting out to some further afield climbing destinations soon.

Hi nik welcome and enjoy your new cali when it arrives:thumb

Having done quite a bit of research into the merits of the Beach and Ocean we put in an order for an Ocean a few months ago and hopefully should arrive this month. We've gone for the 4motion engine with diff lock as we have every intention of taking it out in Scottish winter.

I'm a teacher and DofE manager for my school so it will make the summer expeditions a bit more comfortable too - can't see that the kids will be impressed. Looking forwards to getting out to some further afield climbing destinations soon.
How exciting (from a fellow teacher..... although I'm having a break ATM )

Got the registration number yesterday so hopefully it won't be long - I fully expect it to get stuck entering the UK though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Welcome Nik,Im in the same position ive been informed that it has left the factory however no firm date of collection from the dealer yet..:welcome

Welcome Nik,Im in the same position ive been informed that it has left the factory however no firm date of collection from the dealer yet..:welcome
Me too, built week 10 was in UK port 18th March but still no sign of it at the dealers!

Tom

Apparently it is now in the UK, the dealer seem to be confident we will get it in the next couple of weeks. I am much less confident.

Be careful with the diff lock as it does what it says, locks the rear diff resulting in the axle wanting to go straight ahead and resisting any turning action. Also in snow or very slippery grass/mud the rear will take the direction of least resistance, ie sideways especially if on a camber. Basically only use the diff lock as a last option.
Gentle accelerator control plus the traction control on the 4M will take care of the majority of surface issues.

Be careful with the diff lock as it does what it says, locks the rear diff resulting in the axle wanting to go straight ahead and resisting any turning action. Also in snow or very slippery grass/mud the rear will take the direction of least resistance, ie sideways especially if on a camber. Basically only use the diff lock as a last option.
Gentle accelerator control plus the traction control on the 4M will take care of the majority of surface issues.
Thanks for the advice - I've never driven a vehicle with diff lock but led to believe that
99% of the time it's best left off....until you really need it. I'm not really anticipating needing it (Scottish winter maybe) but though it was prudent to have it as we've gone for the 4motion

Just a case of remembering that when the diff lock is on and you want to turn, one rear wheel has to spin which if on a hard and dry surface causes stress to the axle components and drive train.
Tyre tread is the most important factor in snow, but that's another subject that can be found on this Forum.

The 4motion comes into play more than you probably expect. Wet road starts, especially roundabouts, gravel drives and getting off wet grass without leaving a muddy trail.

Nick, I have just received notification that mine is ready for collection so I hope your's is also ready.

Tom

Nick, I have just received notification that mine is ready for collection so I hope your's is also ready.

Tom
hope you're enjoying it - we've been given next Friday as a pickup date so in time for the early bank holiday.

Nik, good news, we now have ours, awesome bit of kit, really enjoying it.

Tom

congratulations those that have taken delivery ! exciting times ! mine left the factory two weeks ago so possibly another couple of weeks until it arrives at the dealer so "hopefully" I can have it mid may! although ive heard horror stories of it taking months for shipping!!......fingers crossed...

Nik, good news, we now have ours, awesome bit of kit, really enjoying it.

Tom
Tom
Let’s have some pictures
Mines still in build and I won’t be getting till late May so need your pictures/camping as inspiration

Tom
Let’s have some pictures
Mines still in build and I won’t be getting till late May so need your pictures/camping as inspiration
LOL! Not sure when we will be away camping in it, we prefer the summer at home and usually venture to hotter climes earlier in the year. We may try and sneak away for a few days but nothing planned. I suspect our son and his family will camp in it before us!

Tom

Tom
Let’s have some pictures
Think the first place we'll take it properly is Dolgam camp site in Snowdonia - aiming to do one of the east face climbs on Tryfan is the weather is up to it.

Whatever we do, as it's a bank holiday weekend will be avoiding Snowdon like the plague

LOL! Not sure when we will be away camping in it, we prefer the summer at home and usually venture to hotter climes earlier in the year. We may try and sneak away for a few days but nothing planned. I suspect our son and his family will camp in it before us!

Tom
No problem pictures on the front drive are fine :thumb

Back