Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway Roadtrip series in our California on Youtube

Would you like to see more posts like this?

• Total voters
Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Nice videos. Strange, I live much closer to Norway but my dream is to take my California to Sicily but I think it is a bit too far away. We where in Rome last year with it :)

We drove from Norway to Sicily over seven months. Spent five/six weeks in each. We enjoyed the Catania side of Sicily more than the Palermo side.

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Anyone going to Norway should be aware that after Trondheim (not even half way up the country to the Lofotens!) the roads get very slow, they may be major 'E' routes and if you average 35mph you are doing well. Multiple road works as they only have a short window in the summer to repair. Coastal route FV7 fabulous scenery but much slower still, took us 5 days from Bodo to Trondheim, minimum 6 ferries (get a 50% reduction card for both road tolls and the ferries, you can pay via EFC plc by setting up an account). Be prepared for bad weather cancelling ferries, we had a 150 mile detour because of this and allow more days than you think for the trip as Norwegian weather is very variable and some days will be lost to fog/heavy rain. Allow minimum 4 days to see Lofotens.
Here it is!! Traffic is really Slow. and lots of roadwork. I loved Lofoten, but thinking back it was crazy have 2 days going up, 2 days going down and 2 days there. Well have magic memories, but you deserve at least 10 days to enjoy the whole trip and back from Trondheim up.

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The episode #17 is out today. in premiere right now.
here it is the link. It's a sunny day in Bergen with some smart suggestion for parking and then an emotional road towards Naeroyfjord

#17 Bergen foto.jpg

S

SallyW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Our route was Hirtshals to Kristiansand on the go (best hours- cost- km ratio, moreover we took the ferry in the afternoon and arrived at Kristiansand above midnight so it was useful to rest a little after a long 4 days driving). From the land through the super nice Copenhagen coming back. We preferred not to book anything and be free coming down from Lofoten and wanted to visit A big capital. You can park in the city center at Copenhagen. Must say that the trip with the boat was very weird because of strong wind. So guess I would not do a longer trip as it would have been from Hirtshals to far destinations. Kristiansand is a perfect place to start your tour and you not miss so many things. You can visit Oslo on your way back since coming down from the E-6, you will find near Sweden.
Thank you for that information. We hopefully will have 7 weeks in June/July so maybe we will get to the Lofotens and then head down gradually to Kristiansand. I am looking forward to seeing your future videos!

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
If you go Lofoten bring with you fishing Gear. Hungry Cods Everywhere. You will see in the next episodes

docbob1

docbob1

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
You have certainly been lucky with weather and I know July/August is to be avoided, in the Lofotens all campsites can get full and wild camping can irritate locals, people even used graveyards we have been told!!
As the locals say, four seasons can occur on the same day, we had snow, heavy rain , fog and ended up with blue sky one day. Good luck with your trip. We hope to do south west Ireland in May, possibly Slovakia in June(Tatras) and down to Sicily in September.

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Here it is the #18 episode of Familytrip goes Norway,

English subs available (turn on them on Youtube)

We arrive with our vw California at Gudvangen and sleep near the ferries. The day after we are going to have a gorgeous cruise on a hybrid boat on the fjord, the Naeroyfjord. By the boat we are going to Flam enjoying the Sognefjord and then take the bus back to Gudvangen to start again our roadtrip.

Looking at this stunning scenery with this perfect sunny day and no noise at all is magic. Suggested to book in advance since the boat get full soon

https://www.visitflam.com/activities/fjord-cruise-naeroyfjord/

We did the Gudvangen Flam cruise. It’s easy to find a spot to sleep at Gudvangen and then there Is a useful bus that brings you from Flam to Gudvangen again through a long tunnel.

#18 Sognefjord to Flam Cruise .jpg

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Here it is the #19 episode of Familytrip goes Norway,

https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Norway19
After the short cruise on the Sognefjord of the episode 18 we drive through the scenic route Aurlandsfjellet to the great viewpoint called Stegastein. Then we will manage to go through this fantastic road rather than using the longest tunnel in the world.

English subs available on YouTube.E88D87EB-A0F8-4735-831B-0A2637F3C4F9.jpeg

H

Hotel California

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
The links you post on here still not work on my Ipad .
We spent the night in that small village below in the scene above , there where the ferry stops in 2015
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG
We drove up in the morning but had to come thesame way down as the road was closed due the snow further up , in june...
We took the tunnel.

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The links you post on here still not work on my Ipad .
We spent the night in that small village below in the scene above , there where the ferry stops in 2015

We drove up in the morning but had to come thesame way down as the road was closed due the snow further up , in june...
We took the tunnel.
Wow, I loved that place. The road was great. We were lucky since it was opened. I were not thinking about so much snow in June. We went up driving and you never know how much you are going to go up above sea level. We got 4 degrees and risk of ice on the road but it was great and scary at the same time. Next episode will be on that road.l to Laerdal.
I will double check the link.
try the long one

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Here it is the #20 episode of Familytrip goes Norway,

We drive through the scenic route Aurlandsfjellet from the Stegastein Viewpoint to Laerdal. Choosing this fantastic scenic road rather than using the longest tunnel in the world was totally worth it. I Loved how Scary was to choose a road and not understanding how steep it was and how up it goes! Then after you drove 30 km you don't know if it will keep on going up or go down, you don't know if you are going to find Icy roads or Fog. Sometimes you have to simply stop and hope the fog will disappear! I LOVE Norway.

English subs available on YouTube.

#20 n2 aurlandsfjellet.jpg

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150

Here it is the #21 episode of Familytrip goes Norway. One of my favorites.F85C089C-023C-4CD6-AE6D-9975C7A5C3E3.jpeg

3 pretty different moods in less than 24 hours. A midnight camp fire in front of the fjord in a stunning camping. Having lunch in front of a Glacier, and walking on a Caribbean like beach. One of my favorite episodes.

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hey guys, this lake is one of the unexpected highlights of our trip. You can’t miss it. Quietness, mistero, romance, nature... I loved it. I would pass a night there if I come back. You can spot a nice camping in the clips. We were running and went to Geiranger that same night.

https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Norway22
C5DC4495-7F40-4387-8D43-57B341528833.jpeg

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Norway23

Here it is the #23 episode of Familytrip goes Norway.
The scary and twisty road to Geiranger, then a stunning scenery and a crazy place to sleep.

We managed not to go to Hellesyt and take the ferry, since it costed 120 euros and we had to wait the day after, so started driving after dinner and had this scary adventure. Suggested, but scary if you have summer tires and it's so cold. We were not thinking of find 4 degrees celsius in June. Not suggested at all in cold months.#23 4.jpg

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Wonderful videos.
But I would not worry about 4°C. on summer tyres.

This trip almost caught me on my fairly worn front tyres (about 3mm left) on may 1st near the South of France.
Going uphill from Grenoble to Gap, after 6 km of 12% climbing, I entered a winter scenery with snow and all.
Luckily the mist and snow disappeared some km further. When entering Gap, the temperature and sun were ready!

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Wonderful videos.
But I would not worry about 4°C. on summer tyres.

This trip almost caught me on my fairly worn front tyres (about 3mm left) on may 1st near the South of France.
Going uphill from Grenoble to Gap, after 6 km of 12% climbing, I entered a winter scenery with snow and all.
Luckily the mist and snow disappeared some km further. When entering Gap, the temperature and sun were ready!

wow, sometimes you never know.Navigators should tell the temperature you get choosing a road. There is an app we use that makes a graph of the temperature and wind you should find. Just in days like this you don’t have enough time to check everything. I was scared since lot of years ago I lost control of a car in a situation like this and it was scary. I’m scared of snow melting in the evenings, water rolling down the road, and suddenly making road icy behind a bend. Put on top roads with no guard rail and you are done. I missed to take the worst parts since we were scared. Moreover it was the second time we were hanging between going on hoping the road would not go up anymore and stopping.We didn’t want to stop and sleep over there. It was scary but unforgettable. The third time was near Saltstraumen but that time I managed to go back.

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sorry, there was an issue on Youtube so the right link is this one.

#23 tras 2.jpg

Here it is the #23 episode of Familytrip goes Norway.
The scary and twisty road to Geiranger, then a stunning scenery and a crazy place to sleep.

We managed not to go to Hellesyt and take the ferry, since it costed 120 euros and we had to wait the day after, so started driving after dinner and had this scary adventure. Suggested, but scary if you have summer tires and it's so cold. We were not thinking of find 4 degrees celsius in June. Not suggested at all in cold months.

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Norway24

Here it is the #24 episode of Familytrip goes Norway.

After Sleeping in front of GeirangerFjord we enjoy the stunning scenery and drive till Trollstigen. We will se Trollstigen in all of his magnificent beauty in the next episode. I Ask you....Did you ever try Norwegian Pork Meat?? It's super tasty. In this episode we are going to gave a Pic-nice and cook some pork. It was sooo tasty I'm salivating. Fell free to ask any question about places or anything.
24 norway.jpg

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello fellow trippers!
Here it is the #25 episode of Familytrip goes Norway (premiere 4 pm)
Since we are stuck at home let's see together one of the absolute Highlights of Norway: TROLLSTIGEN

https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Norway25Norway 25 Vert.jpg

The magnificent TROLLSTIGEN. A Crazy Viewpoint. Amazing drone shots. A stunning and Scenic road, maybe the most beautiful in the world. Enjoy. This is one go the Highlights of our trip.

J

Joefarina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Here it is the #26 episode of Familytrip Norway Roadtrip on our vw California t6: The midnight Sun at the Atlantic Road Atlanterhavsveien.
https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Norway26

After Trollstigen we drive towards the Atlantic Road, someone tells this is the most dangerous road of the world, for us is simply another stunning scenic road that people from Norway call Atlanterhavsveien or Atlanterhavsvegen.

It’s a 8 Km long piece of road between the cities of Kristiansund and Molde. It goes through many islands and rocks, bond together by 8 bridges, the most important one is Storseisundet Bridge.
We were going to stop for night after dinner, since it was late and we didn’t want to get the here with the dark.After dinner we decided to go on, without a exact reason.
The destiny made us this big Present: Who would have imagined we would end up staring at the most beautiful Sunset of our life at Midnight.

English subs available.

26 4.jpg