Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway 2014

bvddobb

bvddobb

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
We have been to Norway again this year, from mid August till mid September. We love to go off the beaten track where we can, evading the main roads, and we have done our bit of 'wild' camping in lonely spots at the end of dead end roads leading to little hamlets, lakes, rivers, whichever. Places where the 'White Giants' don't come (but little VW campervans often end up :cool: ).

In Norway such travel often leads you on those typical old gravel roads. Here a short slideshow impression of sites we have camped and roads we have travelled:

A good tip is, wherever there are tunnels (you see them more and more in Norway), to NOT take the tunnel, but look if you can find the old road over the pass or along the fjord. Quite often they are still there and open, and they lead through beautiful scenery. Usually they are those old gravel roads, with little upright stones along the edges. They are not always maintained well anymore, so a little caution is wise. Sometimes you wil find signs that beyond this p0int you will be driving at your own risk, and sometimes roads are closed. But they lead to beautiful (camping) spots, and there is hardly any traffic there!

Last edited:
That sounds fantastic. Definitely somewhere on my list...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nice views , love to go up north soon .
I can see you are from the Netherlands , do you have info about with road you have taken...?
Any info is welcome , you may send it to me in dutch by pm or post it here. :thanks

Definitively, quite a few picture of those images are perfect candidates for the Cali Calendar 2015.
Great trip.
(try Nordkapp too, I did it driving from Paris the other day, or rather 3 weeks there and back).
Cheers
Andrzej

Wow, that looks amazing! My kids love the music too!

hotel california T5 said:
Nice views , love to go up north soon [...] do you have info about with road you have taken...?
We have tried to crete a map in Google Maps, detailing our route and stops, but that turned out to be too cumbersome a task with no real usable result. So we stopped that, sorry.

Let us try to give you an idea. Roughly we went north from Oslo through the mountains to Trondheim, and from there further to Bognes, where we took the ferry to Lødingen. Then we toured the Vesterålen and Lofoten, and took the ferry back to the mainland from Moskenes to Bodø. Then roughly back down along the coast to Bud, and then via Geiranger, Lom, Voss and the Hardangerfjord to Stavanger. That was roughly it.

It is difficult to say exactly which roads we took. As a rule we tried to evade the main roads as much as possible. E.g, going up from Oslo, we 'skirted' the E6 as much as possible, taking local roads as much as possible. Marga is a wizard in her own right, finding us those 'white' roads on the map that eventually bring us where we want to be.

And we tried to evade tunnels, but took the 'old' road wherever possible. That will e.g. take you over Strynefjellet, Auerlandsfjellet and Røldalsfjellet rather than through the tunnels, to name a few 'big ones'.

And sometimes we did some part of a National Tourist Road and some less documented roads that one can often find on sites of motorcycle clubs, such as the Osafjellet road and the Tindevegen and Per Gyntvegen.